Stay in Zurich or Zermatt after Interlaken/Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2017 at 1:15:41 #811177

Hi There!!!

This is our second tour to Switzerland, we visited this beautiful country in 2005 during our honeymoon.

Now we are coming along with our 2 kids : 10 yrs and 3 yrs.

We hav planned 2 days in interlaken, 2 day in lucern and 2 days in zurich.

During our visit last time we also covered zermatt.

Now we are really confused that we should go to zermatt, considering the amazing train journey and adventure. our agent is saying that we should drop plan to zermatt and added two night stay in zurich (rhine falls and day tour) (also keeping in mind that already Two peaks will be covered (jungfrou and titlis).)

Really need suggestions and time is not a problem.

Regards

Nidhi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    25 March 2017 at 16:53:27 #860452

Hi Nidhi, thanks for joining us!

Well, that’s a tough choice. You obviously liked Zermatt the last time you were there, so I understand you appreciate the idea of getting back there. Zurich is entirely different. It’s a larger city and it’s not within, nor within easy reach of, the mountains. To be honest this is entirely up to you. I suggest you study our Zurich and Rhine Falls pages to see if this attracts you.

madduris2000
    Participant
    32 posts
    25 March 2017 at 18:09:53 #860453

Let your kids ( elder one) see the magnificent Matterhorne

Sundar

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 6:37:28 #860454

Thank you a lot for replying.

Have decided to stay in Zurich as we hav not seen Rhine Falls and Zurich city.

Have read in a post that we can also go to black Forest day trip from zurich, if thats true it will be great???

Thank you again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 8:47:23 #860455

Hi Nidhi,

Yes, you can make a day trip to the Black Forest from Zurich (say 2 to 3 hours each way) but it depends on where exactly you go within the Black Forest. Freiburg is perhaps the largest and prettiest town in the area. Another popular destination is Titisee-Neustadt.

Regards,
    Lucas

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 March 2017 at 13:24:00 #860456

Hi Nidhi,

Note that the Black Forest is not easy to reach by public transport in just a day. If you don’t have a car you may want to book a tour with transport included. Here’s an example: http://www.viator.com/tours/Z urich/Black-Forest-and-Rhine-Falls-Day-Trip-from-Zurich/d577-2460FOREST.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 14:00:50 #860457

Hi Nidhi, my family and I have decided to visit Switzerland in July. We have almost finalised our itinerary. We still have 2 vacant days. So should we go to Zermatt or should we skip it because as it is we are going to Titlis and Jungfraujoch? Is Zermatt worth going?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 6:23:20 #860458

thank u so much

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 10:42:54 #860459

Hi Bhavinab,

Personally, I think your kids would enjoy a trip to the Matterhorn over Zurich and the RheinFall.

FYI you have to reply to nidi1213 in order for him to be notified of your post (you replied to Arno last time I think because he was the last user to make a post).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 12:20:58 #860460

Thanks a lot Lucas. I am very grateful. Just one quick question, is Matterhorn similar to Jungfraujoch in your opinion?

Sorry for my earlier error.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 12:24:07 #860461

Hi Nidhi, my family and I have decided to visit Switzerland in July. We have almost finalised our itinerary. We still have 2 vacant days. So should we go to Zermatt or should we skip it because as it is we are going to Titlis and Jungfraujoch? Is Zermatt worth going?

Please keep in mind that 2 senior citizens are also travelling.

Thank you in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 14:58:50 #860462

Hi bhavinab,

I suppose they are similar as far as they are very high and very iconic mountains in Switzerland. With Jungfraujoch you can go up to (near) the top of the mountain – with the Matterhorn you can’t get to the top of it yourself (only view it from Zermatt or from Gornergrat) but you can enjoy Klein Matterhorn.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Stay in Zurich or Zermatt after Interlaken/Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.