Switzerland,Paris,Disneyland in 7 days – rail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2017 at 5:44:33 #811406

Hi,

Your site gives lot of information to first time travellers. I am travelling to Switzerland and Paris for the first time and still have some questions. would appreciate your help with this.

We 2 adults and i child (9yrs) have flight booked into Zurich arriving on 20 May at 8AM and departing on 27 May from Zurich. during this period we want to be in Switzerland and also visit Paris.

1) I understand we can buy swiss pass for our stay in switzerland, but for Paris do i have to buy Eurail pass. because swiss pass is either for 3 or 4 days, so i am not sure if i will be able to cover our return fare from Paris to Zurich within those days of the pass. Do we need to buy local tickets. are there any sites which offer discounts.

2) could you also guide me on how many days we must spent in Swiss and Paris each considering the limited period. please highlight the key places we can visit during this period.

3) what would be the climate during this period. will it be worth visiting Mt. Titlis, Mt Pilatus and Jungfrau.

4) Within Paris – we would like to see Eiffel tower and Disney land. so do i really need to buy Eurail pass or is there any other alternative. i also have to get back to Zurich for departure.

Many thanks in advance,

Vaishali

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2017 at 9:10:31 #861569

Hi VaishuD and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Lets have a look at your questions.

1. The Swiss Travel Pass only covers trains in Switzerland. You would need to buy a ticket from Basel (on the Swiss/France border) to Paris only if you have the Swiss Travel Pass. I Don’t think you need to buy a Eurail Pass as well for all of France if you just have the 2 train trips planned (Switzerland to Paris return and Paris to Disneyland return). You could just buy a 2 country Eurail Select Pass – be sure to read through the “where it is valid” section to see what routes are covered.
    2. This website doesn’t have information on France, but personally 2 – 3 days in Paris is usually required, plus however long you want to spend in Disneyland. This doesn’t leave any time for Switzerland really! You could see Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Titlis in one long day and then Jungfraujoch on the 2nd day
    3. Weather in the lower elevations should be very pleasant and Spring-like in late May. There will still be snow up at the top of the mountains however.
    4. This depends on how long you spend in France compared to Switzerland. You have very little time to do Paris, Disneyland and Switzerland in 7 days! Day 1, 2 and 3 to visit the mountains in Switzerland, day 4 in Paris, day 5 and 6 in Disneyland then day 7 return to Zurich for flight? Is that what you had in mind roughly?

I hope this helps you out a little!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2017 at 10:19:38 #861570

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for the quick response.

1. Which is closer, Geneva or Basil to Paris. do i need to reserve seat in TGV Lyria. where can i buy ticket. is it an online ticket or a hard copy sent to us. i would prefer to buy from the site which is economical.

2.Please suggest a budget hotel near to Zurich railway station.

3. where should i stay if i have to cover both Mt. Titlis and Mt. Pilatus on the same day. how far are these places from each other.

4. which hote/ location l should i stay if i have to visit Junfraujoch on the 2nd day.

5. Apart from the above also suggest a hotel/ location which is closer to all the above three sites viz Mt. Titlis, Mt. Pilatus & Junfraujoch.

4. 20 May to 23 May in Swiss (4 nights) & 24 May to 26 May in Paris (2 nights – 3 days). On 26 May i want to return to Zurich on an evening train.

5. Is there a cost difference if i buy Swiss Travel pass online or at Zurich station in Switzerland. Same with the train tickets to Paris, any advantage of buying online??

I hope you are fine answering too many questions above!

Thank you 🙂

Vaishali

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2017 at 12:21:52 #861571

Hi Vaishali,

1. Basel is much closer to Paris. You can check prices and buy tickets here.
    2. We have a list of hotels in Zurich here, and it notes how far they are to the main train station. I have been to the Hotel Montana and thought it was a good value and close to the train station.
    3. The two mountains are close to Luzern, and are about 3 hours apart from each other.
    4. I would suggest Interlaken for easy connections to Jungfraujoch and most towns in Switzerland – we have a list of recommended hotels on the page I linked as well.
    5. Nothing is really close too all three mountains unfortunately. There will have to be some busy days on a train to see all 3 over two days.
    6. Perhaps May 20 and 21 and in Luzern, 22 and 23 in Interlaken, 24 and 25 in Paris?
    7. The Swiss Travel Pass rarely has a special price – its always best to buy online as you will have an electronic back up and you can print at home and there is no need to wait in line at the train station! Tickets to France, however can rise and fall with sales or depending how close you are to your travel date

I hope that helps!

Lucas

• The thread ‘Switzerland,Paris,Disneyland in 7 days – rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.