Zurich to Murren

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2015 at 17:26:05 #807107

I am planning a 1 week trip arriving in Zurich June 6th and taking the train to Murren, hiking in the area and leaving the 12th to return to Zurich for one night and a flight home the next day. Would a transfer ticket be the best way to go? Will I need to take local trains or cable cars in Murren to get to the hikes and is it worth getting a half-fare pass also? Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 April 2015 at 4:42:54 #842623

Hi anujmal,

There are trails directly from the village, but I would not stick to just those and seek some variety. You could take the cogwheel train up to Kleine Scheidegg and hike there, and take the cable car from Mürren to the peak of the Schilthorn.

There’s a ‘Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi’ that combines the Swiss Transfer Ticket and Swiss Half Fare Card in one pass. That would suit your plans very well. Details are here. In the US, you can purchase it from raileurope.com/rail-tickets-passes/swiss-transfer-ticket-with-half-fare-card-combi/index.html or raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-transfer-ticket-half-fare.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 April 2015 at 7:30:08 #842624

Annika-

Other posts in this forum have discussed hiking in that area in early June. The higher trails most likely will not be open, it seems. I have included one link.

I’ll be in Wengen on June 14, 15, 16, and i have been cautioned that the famous Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg trail has a probability of being closed, although the 15th is the “normal” target date for trail opening. Depends a lot on the snow pack.

myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/easy-walks-and-hikes-in-wengen

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 April 2015 at 8:04:17 #842625

Hi Slowpoke,

You are right, normal precautions apply, in June more so than July to September. Many trails will be open, but the higher ones are not guaranteed and a check with the local tourist office is recommended. Here’s another thread that might be useful for anujmal: myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/trails-accessible-in-early-june

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2015 at 20:25:29 #842626

Thanks for the advice. I figure we’ll have to check local conditions closer to the time of travel to see which routes are open but we’ll plan for the lower elevations. Any particular suggestions for day hikes in the area that may be open? Happy to do something strenuous but not too technical (15-20 km, ascent/descent).

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 April 2015 at 23:45:15 #842627

[quote]anujmal said: Thanks for the advice. I figure we’ll have to check local conditions closer to the time of travel to see which routes are open but we’ll plan for the lower elevations. Any particular suggestions for day hikes in the area that may be open? Happy to do something strenuous but not too technical (15-20 km, ascent/descent).[/quote]

Without looking at maps, I cannot be precise. But, you might walk up from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg.

Good trails. Places to stop along the way, and catch the train, etc.

Lauterbrunnen is at 795 metrs above sea level, Wengen at 1294, Kleine Scheidegg at 2061.

Might stop in Wengen to check if the last stretch is open all the way to Kleine Scheidegg. Should be, but, it might have some shadow/ shade places with snow blocking the trail.

map.geo.admin.ch/? X=159895.97 &Y=634499.65

• The thread ‘Zurich to Murren’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.