This is Glacier 3000
The Glacier 3000 ski and summer sports area is located at 30 minutes from the famous resort Gstaad. A cable car takes you up from the valley station of Col-du-Pillon to the top station Scex Rouge, were you can enjoy panoramic views of the Swiss mountains and lots of activities.
The forum allows you to post your questions and discuss your plans.
Views and activities at the top
You can enjoy stunning views of Switzerland’s highest mountains at the top. In clear weather you can see the Mont Blanc, the Matterhorn and 24 other mountains over 4000 meters.
Glacier 3000 offers lots of activities, from skiing and snowboarding to dog sledding and an alpine coaster. You can have lunch or a drink in several bars and restaurants.
Some of the activities are available all year round:
- You can have culinary breaks in bars and restaurants, including the restaurant at the Scex Rouge cable car station. It's designed by the famous architect Mario Botta. There are three levels with beautiful views of the mountains.
- From the Botta restaurant, you can make a short walk to the view point where you can enjoy a wonderful mountain panorama.
- The Ice Express chairlift takes you down to the glacier where several activities are available, such as the snow bus and the fun park.
- The spectacular Peak Walk is a short hiking route from Scex Rouge over a breathtaking suspension bridge connecting two mountain tops.
- You can book a dog sled ride.
These are your options for a visit in summer:
- Roll down in the alpine coaster.
- Take a ride over the glacier in the snow bus. Booking is required.
- Take a hike. There are wonderful panoramic routes, including one leading to the Dôme mountain and back to Scex Rouge.
- Challenge yourself on the via ferrata route.
Both winter sports enthusiasts and unexperienced visitors can enjoy the snow in winter:
- There’s a snowpark for freestyle skiing and snowboarding, open from October to May (the exact dates depend on weather and snow conditions). Visitors can join free training sessions in the avalanche training center.
- Cross-country skiing is possible too.
- Ski rental is available.
- In the fun park you can enjoy sledding.
- Several winter hiking routes allow you to enjoy the snowy area at a relaxing pace. The Glacier Walk is an impressive one. This groomed hiking trail takes you across the glacier to the restaurant Refuge l’Espace on the glacier’s edge. From there, you’ll have wonderful views down into the Derborance valley and into the Valais.
How to prepare
Weather is important if you visit Glacier 3000. Clouds, drizzle or a bit of snow don’t matter for fun or sports activities. But if you go up for the views or for hiking, good weather conditions are required. Arrange for proper hiking or ski gear.
If you suffer from fear of heights, skip the Peak Walk with its suspension bridge.
Take care when snowboarding, skiing or sledding: you can hurt yourself or others if you don’t pay close attention.
Combine your visit to Glacier 3000 with other activities
Depending on the time you spend at Glacier 3000, you can add more activities to your day trip. A visit to Gstaad is possible. If you have more time, you can travel to Montreux.