Beckenried 3 days – Tell Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2015 at 12:18:20 #807965

Hi there

I’m from Australia, visiting central Switzerland for the first time! I perhaps could have done more research as I chose the Hotel Nidwaldenhof as my Lucerne base (I thought it was in Lucerne). I now realise it is about 40 minutes by train and bus from Lucerne to the hotel.

We arrive at 4pm on 11 October then have 3 full days, departing from Lucerne again on 15th.

Depending on the weather i would love to see Rigi, walk the Swiss Path and small villages / towns and Lucerne itself of course. Maybe Pilatus if the weather suits!

Given I’ll be based in Beckenried, do you have advice on whether I should get a Tell Pass for the trips to / from Lucerne? Eg. Our arrival and departure days (so get a 5 day Tell Pass). Or are point to point tickets cheaper for those one way trips? We are on a tight budget unfortunately.

Any tips you have on sightseeing from Beckenried would also be great as I’m lost thinking it was in Lucerne!

Thank you so much.

Candice

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    19 September 2015 at 13:17:01 #846196

Welcome to MySwissAlps, Candice!

Yes, a Tell Pass would definitely be a good choice. It will cover trips to and from Lucerne, including mountain tops like Rigi and Pilatus. The price difference between a 3 day and 5 day pass is only CHF 30,-, so it’s better to pick the 5 day variant and have part of your trip from/to Zurich covered too. Purchase options are listed here. Day trip suggestions for the Lake Lucerne region are listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/la kelucerne/activities.

I hope this helps you out!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 September 2015 at 20:56:23 #846197

We stayed in Beckenried many years ago, and have often stopped there for lunch by the lake or a trip further up the mountain. It is a nice small lake side town, strung out a bit along the lake. I find the lakeside views to be very nice.

If the snows have not yet arrived, take the cable car to either Klewenalp or Stockhütte. If you don’t mind slightly tired legs, you can walk down from Stockhütte to Emmeten and pick up the bus to Beckenried. There are trails from Klewenalp, but I’d not try them if there is any snow on them.

Ride the boat to Treib, the funicular up to Seellisberg, and walk the Swiss Path. Or, start at Bauen ( boat landing) and climb up to start back the other way.

There is a bus from Seelisberg to/from Beckenried.

Views of the lake from Seelisberg especially by the big hotel (Sonnenberg?) a bit above the village are terrific. Also, along the trail from Seelisberg to Bauen, but you have to make an effort to get to the overlooks on that trail.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/bauen-seelisberg

Try various segments of the Swiss Path. Get a map from the tourist info by track #1 in Luzern main station. They can also help with other selections.

In warm weather, eating at the lake side and watching the boats come and go is very pleasant. We used to always stay at the Hotel Mond (Moon) but I think it has been torn down or hopefully rebuilt. The websites limks from a Google search are confusing, so I’d not count on it. Their lakeside terrace is nice, if it is open that late in the year.. So is the one next door, closer to the boat landing.

This website for the village may help you:

http://www.beckenried.ch/de/t ourismus/tourismusbeck enriedklewenalp/

May only be in German, though.

The Rigi –

The Rigi is accessible by boat to Weggis, 15 minute up-hill walk to cable car station, then cable car to Rigi Kaltbad, where the train goes past as well (Eiterh up to the top “Kulm” or down to Vitznau. Or take boat to Vitznau and cograil train up. Alternate route on the other side, from Arth Goldau, is accessible by trains from Luzern.

Don’t forget Luzern. 😉

Slowpoke.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2015 at 13:41:35 #846198

Hi Annika, thanks for your advice on the Tell Pass. It sounds like a 5 day one is worthwhile 🙂

Slowpoke, thank you very much also for your well thought out suggestions for our itinerary! These all sound like great things to do. Can’t wait for our first Swiss Adventure.

Candice

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 September 2015 at 15:16:06 #846199

<<“Slowpoke, thank you very much also for your well thought out suggestionsfor our itinerary! These all sound like great things to do. Can’t wait for our first Swiss Adventure.”>>

Glad to help.

You’ll find that there are lots of – perhaps too many – good things easily available to fill the days. We return again and again to Lake Lucern ( der Vierwaldstätersee) because of its beauty and diverse easily accessible hiking and sightseeing .

The Lake Boat schedule:

http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakelucerne

and

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&s ource=web&cd=7&cad=rja &uact=8&ved=0CD8QFjAGa hUKEwjh2N7q74XIAhXJWD4 KHf8dAOs&url=http%3A%2 F%2Fwww.lakelucerne.ch %2F&usg=AFQjCNFkTfcCAc T7jEVTb7d_EU3-YEFFTg&sig2=WOGCRBv4Ue 9QFaa_oH6zUg

We were at Beckenried a few years ago at this time of year when the Alpabzug was occurring. The cows paraded through Beckenried, then up the side of the hill above Buochs and Ennetbürgen in the direction of Bürgenstock to their winter quarters.

We met them later as we drove back down the mountainside from walking at Bürgenstock.

See attached picture.

You might get lucky and see that event.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Beckenried 3 days – Tell Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.