Best views of Lauterbrunnen Valley?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2016 at 16:39:59 #809343

Where in Wengen should one go to get the best pictures of the Lauterbrunnen valley? Wengwald? If so how long would it be, if we stopped the train and got off there, to walk up to the Maennlichen tram station in Wengen? If not, is there some other spot in or near Wengen we should try to get the best views of the valley?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 June 2016 at 23:31:24 #852599

<<“If not, is there some other spot in or near Wengen we should try to get the best views of the valley?”>>

See attached –

A very good place is a bit below the church, where the old and new tracks converge…or did converge if they have taken up the old tracks. Attached is from there. That one took 3 or 4 years to get, because the valley is usually misty and the far southern end is often very hazy. That is the same view as you see from the train on the right as it climbs into Wengen from Lauterbrunnen.

The one from the Hotel Eiger show the benefit of shooting from Wengen. That hotel is close to the Bahnhof, but it is now an apartment building.

You could try to walk from Wengen up hill toward Männlichen.

I do not believe that there is a tram station for Männlichen in Wengen. The Luftseilbahn ( cable car) starts up from Wengiboden. It is a 1000 meter climb if you choose to walk up to Männlichen.

The view of the valley from the far side of the train station in Wengen is not bad.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&X=162082.00&Y=63 6134.00&zoom=9

The attached map link shows Wengwald. My recollection is that the forest and the slopes block the view south along the valley. The red line(s) are trains and cable ways.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2016 at 9:37:17 #852600

>> Where in Wengen should one go to get the best pictures of the Lauterbrunnen valley?

There is a lookout that is about 10 minutes’ walk from Wengen railway station.

From the station, head left up the main street lined with shops and hotels, past the Hotel Silberhorn on the right, Männlichen cable car on the right, Hotel Bernerhof on the left, Hotel Schönegg on the right then take a path to the left – you will see the church (see link below to map). From outside the church you have a wonderful view towards the Jungfrau massif and down into the Lauterbrunnen Valley.

http://www.myswissalps.com/do cs/SystemLibrariesProv ider/switzerlandmiscel laneous/wengenlookout. jpg?sfvrsn=0

>> how long would it be, if we stopped the train and got off there, to walk up to the Maennlichen tram station in Wengen?

Do you mean the cable car from Wengen up to Männlichen? It’s only a few minutes walk from the railway station. You can check the operating times here:

http://www.maennlichen.ch/en/ summer-timetable.html

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 June 2016 at 15:20:40 #852601

Hi Alpenrose-

The lookout you describe is excellent and easy to get to.

Personally, I like to walk down the paths a bit below the church to near the cograil tracks. It gives a slightly different angle.

We have both mentioned the cableway (die Luftseilbahn) from Wengen to Männlichen.

I have attached photo taken from that ride.

I think the views of the valley are better from near Wengen, but the ride up on the cable car gives a different perspective. You cannot see all the way down into the valley below Wengen, but you can see different parts of the valley.

For an expansive view of the Jungfrau Massif, I like to go up to Männlichen Gipfel, about a 100 meters above Männlichen Luftseilbahn station.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2016 at 5:34:21 #852602

Thank you! I will try the church, and below it. Is there just one church or one main church, to look for?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2016 at 5:39:54 #852603

>>> Is there just one church or one main church, to look for?

There is more than one church in Wengen, but only one near the lookout. Did you see the map that I linked to in my previous post? (You need to be logged in to the forum to see it).

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Best views of Lauterbrunnen Valley?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.