Bivouacking on the Alpine Pass Route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 November 2015 at 7:35:31 #808128

Hello!

I plan on solo-hiking the Alpine Pass Route in July 2016, sleeping in my tent, most nights. Whenever possible, I will sleep at official campsites along the way, but I would also like to wild camp a couple of nights. I am aware that wild camping is forbidden in the Swiss Alps, but how strict is this rule? Is there anyone on this forum who has walked the same route and tried some wild camping along the way? If so, could you kindly share your experience with me?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 November 2015 at 15:49:28 #846996

Hi hikerbiker, welcome to MySwissAlps,

Wild camping is allowed in some cases. The rules about it (and actually about anything else in Switzerland) are very strict, so I would recommend to obey them for multiple reasons. Additional information and links can be found on the below pages:

Does this get you started?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2015 at 18:34:42 #846997

Hi Arno!

Many thanks for your quick reply, as well as for the useful links. I hiked through the French Alps recently and am very much looking forward to experiencing the Swiss Alps, next. 🙂

If anyone has personal experience of wild camping in spots where it was allowed on this trail, that would be of great interest to me.

Also: I would be interested to hear if anyone has ever asked a farmer for the use of a patch of field (offering some payment, of course, in return), in the absence of an official campsite?

Annika
    7116 posts
    19 November 2015 at 6:41:39 #846998

Hello hikerbiker,

Wild camping is only allowed above the tree line, with the exception of conservation areas. As far as I know camping in farm land is prohibited, even if the farmer would allow it. There are plenty of camping sites and hostels in Switzerland, so with a bit of preparation there’s no need for wild camping when you’re in lower terrain. As said, one can wild camp in the high mountains if one follows the rules (not close to huts, not in conservation areas, don’t dump waste, etc.).

There are some interesting links under “More on other websites” on the first page Arno mentioned. I attached a brochure from one of those sites.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2015 at 6:53:42 #846999

Hi Annika,

Thanks for your input and for the brochure. 🙂

• The thread ‘Bivouacking on the Alpine Pass Route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.