Help on closed Mannlichen and a challenging hike

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2016 at 16:37:44 #808402

Hi there! I will be visiting the Lauterbrunnen area on June 9, 10, 11 with my wife and 8-year-twins. Disappointingly, I just learned the Mannlichen to KS trail will likely be closed. This was high on our list because of descriptions like ‘most stunning of all the hikes’, so I am wondering a few things…

1) Is doing the Mannlichen to KS hike worth rearranging our already set travel plans, or am I getting sidetracked by hyperbole when there are tons of other comparable stunning hikes? Which leads me to…

2) Can you please recommend comparable hikes for that time of June? My main goal is for my wife to achieve her humble dream of feeling like she’s hiking inside the Sound of Music (the happy, hilly parts:) and for my boys to feel like they’re hobbits. If I can make those two dreams intersect, I will be their hero.

3) We also plan on doing Grutschalp to Murren & Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg. Those are possible in June, yes?

4) It seems like the hikes I mentioned are fairly easy hikes. Can you recommend any moderate hikes that might involve traversing rocky parts or tricky streams, but still be doable for adventurous 8-year-olds?

I am grateful for any advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 February 2016 at 23:40:47 #848350

Hi FLHobbit-

Welcome to the forum.

<<“Hi there! I will be visiting the Lauterbrunnen area on June 9, 10, 11 with my wife and 8-year-twins. Disappointingly, I just learned the Mannlichen to KS trail will likely be closed. This was high on our list because of descriptions like ‘most stunning of all the hikes’, so I am wondering a few things…”>>

My 8 year old granddaughter loved the hike.

I went through scheduling anxiety last year, at which time I learned that that trail can be opened anywhere from May 15th to June 15th, depending on snow residues.

When I did that, the variable was “just how much snow there would be during the season”. So far, this year, it has been light.

The very most experienced people, including the manager of the hotel where I was to stay and others that I talked to said that it was impossible to predict the opening date this far in advance.

So, I wonder how you learned that the trail would definitely be closed on the 9,10,11 of June?

The cable car from Wengen to Männlichen will definitely be running all three of those days.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2016 at 1:10:07 #848351

Slowpoke–Thanks for the reply. I don’t know that it will ‘definitely’ be closed, it just seems more ‘likely’ to be closed based on different trip reports I’ve read. Also, my scheduling anxiety prevents me from considering best-case scenarios:)

What other hikes or activities did your granddaughter enjoy in the area?

Did any other hikes seemed comparable to the Mannlichen hike?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2016 at 9:38:41 #848352

Why the trail Mannlichen <> Kleine Scheidegg wil be closed in the summer ?

The trail is now also open and it is winter in Switserland, with 2 meters of snow !

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 February 2016 at 10:04:03 #848353

Hi Brahms –

Here is what I have been told. The trail is not cleared at that time of year, especially where it passes around Tschuggen or on the exposed face near there, once most of the snow is gone in late May.

You get a trail which may be free of snow, although wet and muddy, from Männlichen part way toward KS, then it is blocked with snow drifts.

That is what I have been told by a friend who has had a chalet there for many years.

I was on that trail on June 15 last year….the sign by the train station in Wengen said that it was open. It was. But, there were so many clouds up there that we only walked a few hundred meters toward KS, and the openings in the clouds went away.

So, we turned around, went to Mürren- solid fog/clouds there, too, had lunch and went to Brienz.

We only had one day available, due to the travel schedule of my companion, so we did not get the walk in.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2016 at 10:30:43 #848354

You are walking in the mountains, not in a city. In the mountains there are clouds and some mud. We have walked this tour 8 times between 1979 and 2014. This walk is very, very easy, you can take a prem for you child white you…… Take good shoes and jacked with you.

Greetings form te Neteherlands, Brahms

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 February 2016 at 10:51:14 #848355

HiFLhobbit –

<<“What other hikes or activities did your granddaughter enjoy in the area?Did any other hikes seemed comparable to the Mannlichen hike?”>>

In my opinion, that trail offers an exceptional and rare combination of easy walking, a moderate down hill altitude change, a relatively short trail, spectacular scenery, and most important for me ( especially as I am a serious travel/landscape photographer) a strong psychological effect due to the way the Eiger grows closer and towers over you as you walk toward it. Perhaps some of that is because i know a bit of history of the Eiger Nordwand ( North face of the Eiger.)

The Grütschalp-Mürren hike and the valley floor are nice, but don’t have the same impact.

I’ve attached a photo from 2004 (film) of the Eiger in which hikess are barely visible due to the compression needed to post an image on this forum. I have also attached a grainy crop to highlight the hikers. A few moments with both files can give you some idea of how the Eiger dominates the view as you approach it.

There are other trails with special beauty or features all around Switzerland, and many in the BO region that have breathtaking scenery ( often literally- hiking up hill at 2300 meters makes me pause to catch my breath in the thin air).

What they don’t have is easy access, and a playground at Männlichen for an 8 year old who can use it before the hike (delayed gratification is not a strong point of many 8 year olds). The playground can be watched from the restaurant. Combine that with a short easy walk ( nick-named “The Grannies’ Walk”) and a good trail with amazing views in various directions with some unusually good viewpoints of the Eiger.

Others do not agree with me, but I would only take that walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. If you go the other way, it a quite nice hike (although slightly up hill) , but you have to stop and look behind you frequently to see the Eiger, and you miss the special feeling.

There are plenty of other trails in the rgion, and Grütschalp to Mürren might be an alternative for an 8 year old, but it does not have the feeling of being on top of the world.

Here is some good reading:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Lots of trail tips…Kim is a serious hiker, so you get some that are too difficult, as well as the easy ones.

Also, look at –

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king

and scroll down the page.

Here are some other useful links-

http://www.swissholidayco.com /Public/Assets/User/fi les/Map-of-Jungfrauregion1.jpg

and –

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/som mer/tourism/destinatio ns/kleine-scheidegg/hiking-trails/

Use the tabs at the top, too.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 February 2016 at 11:15:07 #848356

<<“You are walking in the mountains, not in a city. In the mountains there are clouds and some mud. “>>

Certainly.

But, walking _IN_ the clouds is no fun.

And, if you have 2 meter high snow drifts, you can’t walk safely, especially on the more exposed section of the trail.

<<“We have walked this tour 8 times between 1979 and 2014. “>>

So have I, between 1981 and 2009. More than 8 times.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2016 at 13:56:38 #848357

Thank you for the extremely helpful links and the photos. If we experience even half the beauty in your photos, we’ll be happy campers. Seems like it’s worth it to visit Mannlichen just for that view.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 February 2016 at 15:28:12 #848358

<<“Seems like it’s worth it to visit Mannlichen just for that view. “>>

Some of the pictures were taken further along the trail, toward KS.

In early June, there will still be run off from melting snow across the trail, and it will be cold if it is not sunny.

I always wear boots….which are not necessary, but useful. Supports my ankles.

At a minimum, sturdy shoes that are waterproof is a good idea. On the downhill sections, where there may be loose gravel,as you can see on some of the pictures, shoe soles with some grip, for example, lugged soles, are useful.

You will note that my daughter and granddaughter also used hiking staffs. In German, a hiking staff is “ein Spazierstock.” They are useful on graveled downhill stretches to provide a third “grip” on the trail. They are definitely not required, but I carry one for more difficult trails, and find it useful on the M-KS trail.

One picture in that post is taken from Männlichen Gipfel ( summit, peak) which is to the left as you exit the cable car up from Wengen. It is a climb with about 100 meters ascent, and a hand rail (cable) at one or two steep stretches near the top. Good trail almost all the way, but not quite. It is often open even before the main trail is open.

See attached.

The views from up there can be stunning.

Also – a couple more from the playground at Männlichen- to make it worthwhile for the 8 year old. 😉

I’ll add a panorama later that I took from up there a few years ago. It is hard to get a really clear day in the early part of the hiking season, but much easier in September, which is my preferred time to go.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2016 at 23:11:08 #848359

hello

terrific photos Slowpoke! Thanks for posting those.

to FLhobbit. We usually go to Switzerland in July and August (mainly because we enjoy the Aug 1st celebrations!) but in 2006 and 2007 we went in June because I particularly wanted to photograph early spring flowers so I thought I would look back to see what we did in June to see if it would help you. In 2006 we were there from 6th to 20th June and there was still quite a bit of snow early in our stay on the Brienzer Rothorn (some tiny flowers pushing their heads through the snow at the top!)but not much elsewhere. On the 8th we went via Schoenried to Rellerli where we saw lots of tiny crocuses on our walk at the top. Our other walks that year were mostly at a lower level, including Spiez to Faulensee on 9th and Giessbach to Iseltwald (the lake shore route) on the 11th. In 2007 (June 17th) we went to Kandersteg, took cable car and walked down to Oeschinensee (interesting views and a carving trail through the trees) then walked down beside river to Kandersteg. On June 19th we did the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg hike and it was as wonderful as you have heard – terrific views and lots of photos for my hungry camera to enjoy! on 21st we visited Aareschlucht which I am sure your boys would enjoy if the weather isn’t suitable for going up high. They would also enjoy Ballenberg Open Air Museum if weather is not good. I’m not wishing poor weather on you just be aware there may be a need for a back-up plan!

Another hike they might enjoy is from First down to Grosse Scheidegg then a bus ride down to Grindelwald – not sure if that will be open in early June but worth checking out. There are good views of the Jungfrau massif from Allmendhubel (funicular up from Murren if you decide to do the Grutschalp to Murren walk and there is a great café and playground at the top too.

Hope this is some help and hope you get to do the Mannlichen – Kleine Scheidegg trail.

Have fun

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 February 2016 at 1:40:37 #848360

Hi Maggie – nice to get your comments.

<<“terrific photos Slowpoke! Thanks for posting those.”>>

You are welcome, Seems from your comments that you might have some, too.

Could we see some?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2016 at 1:47:18 #848361

Thanks, Maggie! I made note of those backup trips in case of bad weather. And you mentioned a few interesting hikes I hadn’t thought of too.

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    12 February 2016 at 17:01:20 #848362

I’ve hiked that section several times. I can’t speak to the snow conditions but the views are far from the best. Consider the trail from First to Bachalpsee. More ore less the same distance and difficulty. Far far better views. May be a better chance of clear trails as it faces south and might therefore be cleared by the sun earlier than the other which faces east and is largely shaded in the pm. Can’t speak to altitude or other considerations. That’s my 2 cents.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 February 2016 at 0:24:02 #848363

Thanks Jack.

<<“More ore less the same distance and difficulty. Far far better views. May be a better chance of clear trails as it faces south and might therefore be cleared by the sun earlier than the other which faces east and is largely shaded in the pm.”>>

Good idea.

Southern exposure could make all the difference in early June.

I’ve not been to Bachalpsee, though, of course have seen some nice pictures. It is a beautiful sight. So, I cannot comment on which is “best.”

Are there faciities at Bachalpsee? (Restaurant, toilets, etc.?) How is the trail for 8 year olds?

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/bachsee

It seems to be twice as long, since you are likely to return the way you came….Männlichen to KS has a rail connection at the end.

Slowpoke

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    13 February 2016 at 1:05:04 #848364

If memory serves there are some toilets either at the See or along the way. No restaurants. It is suitable for an 8 year old. There is some elevation gain at the beginning that gives some folks a challenge but it doesn’t last long. It does make the walk more challenging than the M-Ks walk though

Slowpoke, you are correct. It is double the distance since one must walk out (same distance as M to KS) and then back. About 1.5 hours each way

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 February 2016 at 1:16:47 #848365

Kim,

Thanks.

There is no substitute for your experience.

Slowpoke

By the way, I”ll be staying with the Ogi’s on opening weekend, unless my plans are changed for me by factors outside my control.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2016 at 1:31:01 #848366

Jack–thanks for the point about First to Bachalpsee being south facing. It adds to my confidence that we’ll have plenty of great hikes to choose from regardless of closures.

Another question if you don’t mind…

I plan on seeing the Trummelbach Falls, and I came across a post mentioning a Trummelbach to Kleine Scheidgeg hike, which invloves a walk through forests. Is that the usual route for seeing the Falls? Is there a better walk? (I like the idea of hiking through forests and over streams, etc.)

I have another question, but I’m going to start a new post with that one since it’s about Zermatt…

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 February 2016 at 1:37:08 #848367

<<“and I came across a post mentioning a Trummelbach to Kleine Scheidgeg hike, which invloves a walk through forests.”>>

Better look at a map.

That is roughly a 1200 meter climb.

map.geo.admin.ch/?X=159190.00&Y=638950.0 0&zoom=6&lang=de&topic =swisstopo&bgLayer=ch. swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe

Slowpoke

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    13 February 2016 at 1:38:58 #848368

Trummelbach to KS is a tough hike. There’s considerable exposure at one point over the falls — narrow path that is sometimes slippery with very steep drop offs and rushing water below. No ropes or anything to hang on to. Did it once, won’t do it again.

The walk from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg that’s described in the document posted here http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim (which is the doc I also sent you, FLhobbit) includes brilliantly varied terrain. It starts through a forest. There are no stream crossings but the views when you come around the corner about half way in and get a face full of the glaciers is stunning. And you end up in KS which is remarkable as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2016 at 1:53:53 #848369

Whoa, that 1200 meter climb can’t be it. It was a recommendation from a family with little kids. I must’ve gotten the end point wrong.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • The thread ‘Help on closed Mannlichen and a challenging hike’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.