How to plan Interlaken and Jungfrau from Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2016 at 7:19:50 #808835

hello,planning to do day trips with base in zurich in the month of june(first week). Would one day be sufficient to go to interlaken and jungfrau,and back same day.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 April 2016 at 7:39:52 #850411

Hi Rohini, welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you can, you may want to shift base to Lucerne. Zurich is not in the mountains so you’ll be traveling a lot for many day trips. Lucerne is a very nice town, on a lake as well, and much closer to the Alps.

If you skip Interlaken (which isn’t worth a visit anyway) you can do a day trip to Jungfraujoch from Zurich, but it will be a very long day. Just getting there and back will take about 9 hours.

A guided tour might be an option for you (see here). For example: viator.com/tours/Zuric h/Jungfraujoch-Top-of-Europe-Day-Trip-from-Zurich (from Zurich) and viator.com/tours/Lucer ne/Swiss-Alps-Day-Trip-from-Lucerne-Jungfraujoch-and-Bernese-Oberland (from Lucerne).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2016 at 9:24:41 #850412

alright..lemme research more with this information and get back to the forum.

thank you.

bouboucadeau
    Participant
    20 posts
    7 April 2016 at 20:22:34 #850413

i just came back from 9 day Switzerland trip in february.

i would use Interlaken or in my case Lauterbrunen as my base to see the alps

i wouldnt do more than 2 days, 1 night in Zurich… expensive.. not much to see.

i did a day trip for Lucern and on my way to Interlaken.

Interlaken is big bustling resort town, good to make arrangements for Alp tickets or get gear and clothing. alot of restaurant and different culture foods.

But if you want to get the Alps stay feel, do Lauterbrunnen or Murren.

Grindelwald and Gimmewald are great small towns..i enjoyed Grindelwald, Gimmelwald was just a hidden small gem.

i did 3 days in Lauterbrunnen, more accommodations and food options. from Lauternbrunnen, it was easy to do Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn on different days.

it was about 3 hours to do Jungfraujoch one way.. very time consuming.

enjoy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2016 at 9:17:17 #850414

Thank you. Nice pictures.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2016 at 8:12:06 #850415

Arno is right with the choice as the base city for day trips to the alps. But I would recommend you Bern. Bern has the most beautiful old historic city of Europe. From Bern you are very fast on the Jungfrau Joch. But you are now also very fast in Zermatt or Saas Fee, in the canton of Valais through the new tunnel ( NEAT, since 2007) through the Bernese Alps. And from Bern you are also in a short time in Geneva, Lausanne or Montreux (lake Geneva).

• The thread ‘How to plan Interlaken and Jungfrau from Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.