Is the month of May suitable

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 January 2016 at 20:20:23 #808232

Dear,

I am planning a visit in the month of May. But i have come to know that it is a wet month. i donot wish to spoil my trip. Is it convinient to in May or shoulld I shift it further. And if further, to which month should i shift

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    4 January 2016 at 15:32:34 #847490

Depending on where in Switzerland you are planning to visit May can be a fine month. The lower elevation areas, such as the lovely Lucerne, will be very nice. However, the high mountain areas, such as those in Jungfrau Region, will be wet, usually muddy, and many hotels and restaurants closed for a break between seasons. Peak season for Jungfrau Region is from middle June through end September.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 January 2016 at 16:00:20 #847491

Hi Noamon –

Kim has said it exactly. The weather in Switzerland depends heavily on the altitude. For example, the highest alpine road passes are still blocked by snow in late May, and usually do not open until early June. In the lower areas, the flowers are blooming and the fields are green.

I try every year to go to Switzerland in May. I do not go up in the Alps then.

My aim is to visit villages in the countryside, such as the Emmental, or the Three Lakes Region near the French border. Those are at about the same altitude as Luzern, but have slightly different climates due to the way the mountains alter the weather patterns for small regions of the country. In May, there are certainly rainy days, but I count on more sun than rain, and get it.

http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather

Switzerland does not have an intense concentrated rainy season, such as the monsoon season in some countries.

If you were to pick one month that lets you see the best of all parts of Switzerland, it is usually September. October can be quite nice as well. August is full of tourists.

There tends to be more rain in the Spring months…April,May, June. However, I had to go for 10 days in mid-April 2014, since I could not go in May, and had 9 days of perfect weather, and one day when I took a train to another region to get the good weather there.

The attached image was taken near Sumiswald in the Emmental in mid-April 2014. The Alps in the background are still covered with snow, and the grass in the fields has mostly not become really green yet. Some fields are plowed and planted. That was unusually good weather for April. In May, it would not be surprising, and the Alps would still show a lot of snow.

We almost always go in September as well as May. One out of the 12 Septembers that we have gone had two weeks straight of clouds and rain. The others were quite dry, sunny, and had moderate temperatures.

That’s my experience.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Is the month of May suitable’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.