Lucerne to Gruyeres cheese factory day trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2015 at 10:38:33 #807515

Hi, planning a day trip to gruyere cheese factory from lucerne. plan to leave by 9:30 am and would like to get back by 7:30 pm. Is that doable ..??? i understand it would be a 3hr journey by train, one way.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 July 2015 at 8:27:25 #844245

Hi Barkha,

Thanks for joining our community! It takes indeed 3 hours to get there, so 6 hours of traveling. It’s doable, but it’s quite a long day for a visit to the cheese factory. If you’re determined to see this one specifically it’s of course worth it. However, there’s a lot to see much closer to Lucerne. E.g. the showdairy in Affoltern im Emmental, 1h20 from Lucerne. Another example is the Kambly factory (Swiss cookies), to be reached in 50 minutes by the special Kambly train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2015 at 16:18:39 #844246

Hey Arno, thanks for the reply but I’m really keen on doing the cheese factory as I love cheese. However, is there a cheese factory or something similar closer to Lucerne that I could go to ?

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 July 2015 at 17:37:09 #844247

Yes there is, see the first link I gave you.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 July 2015 at 18:22:53 #844248

Arno gave you the answer. Check the links that he gave you.

The show -dairy in Affoltern in Emmental is a really thorough museum of cheese making, as well as a modern cheese factory.

Also, it has a good restaurant with many cheese dishes.

i stop there whenever I am in the region.

That is a pretty part of Switzerland, too. You’ll ride throught the Emmental.

That last leg is by bus, and the bus stops right at the show dairy.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/emmental-aoc-show-dairy.html

http://www.emmentaler.ch/othe r/show-dairy.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/At traction_Review-g2081352-d2070355-Reviews-Emmentaler_Schaukaeser ei-Affoltern_im_Emmental_ Canton_of_Bern.html

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2015 at 20:26:35 #844249

I am quoting a word document all about the cheese factory attached to the monastery in Engelberg which is only 43 minutes from Lucerne by train. Smaller than some others but we enjoyed it and had really tasty lunch in their café. You can combine it with a look inside the church and if you go on the right day enjoy a guided tour of the monastery. (Wed to Sat 10.00 a.m. and 16.00 p.m.)

Maggie

Cheese factory in the monastery of Engelberg. First Swiss cheese factory located in a monastery.Unique in Switzerland: in this cheese dairy, soft cheese is produced and ladled by hand into a mold. Enjoy the architectural contrasts of a modern show dairy and ancient monastery walls. Opening hours: Mon – Sat from 7.30 a.m.- 6 p.m., Sun from 9 a.m.- 5 p.m., free entrance. Visit Switzerland’s only show cheese factory, located within a monastery. You’ll find the largest selection of regional cheeses and milk products, as well as souvenirs, in our shop.Cheese production daily between 11.00 and 16.00. Enjoy one of our many indigenous cheese menus or a dessert in the Bistro, while the cheese makers at work provide a unique background. The choices of regionally produced cheeses will impress you. In our gift shop you can choose between homemade treats, made by farmers’ wives within the region, and selected articles with contemporary motifs. You will be tempted to keep these for yourself. By train: trains leave Lucerne at 10 minutes past the hour and trip takes 43 minutes.The LSE (Lucerne-Stans-Engelberg Train) runs hourly from Lucerne, through the picturesque Engelberg-Valley, to Engelberg. A pleasant 10-minute walk, through the centre of town, brings you from the train station to the Monastery. The milk is carefully stirred. It warms up to 35 °C within 20 minutes, as warm water flows through the double wall of the cheese production container. Once the milk has reached this temperature, the cheese maker adds the starter cultures, calcium and rennet. The lactic acid bacteria ferment lactose into lactic acid. This preserves the cheese in a natural way. The mold culture will later cause the white mold to grow on the cheese. Calcium is added, because the natural calcium has been modified through the pasteurisation process of the milk. The rennet causes the milk to coagulate (become thick). The milk must remain absolutely calm in order for the rennet and bacterial cultures to work. Within approximately 40 minutes, the coagulation process brings the milk to the proper consistency, comparable to that of a yoghurt. The cheese maker next slices the soft cheese curd into grains with a tool called “the cheese harp”. The smaller the curd grains, the harder the cheese. Our “Engelberger Klosterglocke” is a soft cheese; therefore the size of the grains is relatively large. These curd grains separate from the whey, the remaining aqueous liquid. The whey and the curd grains are then slowly stirred for 30 minutes. Afterwards, the cheese maker lets it rest. This allows the curd grains to sink to the bottom of the container. They slowly become more dense as the dead weight of the grains presses out the whey. Adding warm water thins out the amount of lactose, the so-called “fertile soil” of the lactic acid bacteria, in order to control the fermentation.The curd grains have finally achieved the desired consistency and firmness.With a tool called “The Cheese Ladle”, the cheese maker bales the soft curd grains into the bell-shaped “Engelberger Klosterglocke” forms. Due to gravity, the curd grains become one mass and the remaining whey flows out.This nutrient-rich liquid is processed into whey drink. In order for the cheese to form evenly, the forms are turned by the cheese maker three times: 1) after 10 minutes, 2) one hour later, 3) in the late afternoon. Early the next morning, the cheese, still in its form, is dipped into the salt bath for two hours. The cheese absorbs the salt and releases its water. A thin crust forms on the outside. The larger and harder the cheese, the longer it must remain in the salt bath. In our ripening cellar, just as in this mini-cellar, ideal conditions are required. A constant temperature of 16 °C and 95 % air humidity guarantee the growth of the white mold. After 8 days, the “Engelberger Klosterglocke” is snow-white and ready for you to enjoy. Some types ofcheese are ready to be eaten immediately, while others must ripen for up to two years, or more. All of our gourmet cheeses are produced from fresh, non-silo, Engelberg milk and ripened in the monastery cellars. The online shop is coming soon.This popular, bell shaped cheese is produced before your very eyes in our show cheese factory. It is a soft and creamy white mold (brie) cheese which is perfect for any occasion. The actual bell, seen on the label, stands in the courtyard of the monastery. This mild cheese, full of character, can easily be recognized with its black coating. The golden label portrays a classic picture of the monastery. Taste a piece of Switzerland for yourself. Our fine half-hard cheese, with white mold, tastes mild and creamy.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 July 2015 at 20:44:35 #844250

Thanks- did not know about that one.

Slowpoke.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2015 at 21:11:20 #844251

Wow! Thanks Maggie…. Looks like I could actually skip gruyeres for the engelberg cheese factory at the monastery. Hope I won’t be missing out on too much by not going to gruyeres ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2015 at 0:06:37 #844252

I have been to Gruyeres as well and it is a whole lot bigger than Engelberg but it is also very busy especially if you happen to turn up at the same time as a group excursion which is what we were on when we visited. The one at Affoltern which Slowpoke recommends is between the two in size and is as he says very thorough and interesting. Engelberg is much smaller and quite intimate in comparison but I found their speciality “Engelberger Klosterglocke” fascinating. The big advantage for you is the short distance from Lucerne if you are pushed for time and the added attraction of the monastery itself. We also had time to take a cable car trip up to the half-way point on the Brunni cable car when we went to Engelberg for the day.

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 July 2015 at 0:18:01 #844253

The one at Gruyeres is well known for being full of tourists. Went there once, but it was so long ago that I can’t remember any details.

That has not been the case for the dozens of times I have visited the one in Affoltern.

Don’t know Engelberg.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2015 at 3:04:20 #844254

Thanks Maggie … Slowpoke … The info was really helpful 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 July 2015 at 6:40:27 #844255

Here are a few pictures of the demonstration cheese making facility at Affoltern im Emmental.

Some were taken through the glass walls that separate the viewing gallery from the working area.

The entrance sign shows what to look for when you get off the bus. The somwhat dark building in the foreground is the antique “Dorfspeicher” – the outbuilding use to store precious items so that a fire in the main buildings would not destroy them. This Speicher was the property of/used by the village (Dorf) rather than an individual farm.

The cowbells were won in various competitions.

I added a couple of pictures to give a flavor of the Emmental. The farm near Fankhaus is not untypical….you can see many of this size; some larger; many smaller. The inn in Sumiswald is also not untypical, although larger than many.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2015 at 7:03:47 #844256

Thanks for the pictures slowpoke …. Just one last thing. Does this place have a cafe as well …. Like the gruyeres I believe has a cafeteria

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 July 2015 at 8:06:25 #844257

<<“Thanks for the pictures slowpoke …. Just one last thing. Does this place have a cafe as well …. Like the gruyeres I believe has a cafeteria”>>

Please read my first post, on July 6th.

To repeat what i wrote there, the Schaukäserei at Affoltern im Emmental has a restaurant.

Full service. It also has an outdoor cafeteria, possibly with limited menu, in warm weather.

For some reason, the German language version of this website is more complete, and includes a link to the Speisekarte (menu).

The English version of the website seems incomplete. Perhaps you can find more on the internet.

emmentaler-schaukaeserei.ch/en/re staurant/our-dishes-and-offers/

In German, quite complete –

http://www.emmentaler-schaukaeserei.ch/

emmentaler-schaukaeserei.ch/filea dmin/user_upload/Resta urant/Restaurant/PDF/S peisekarte_Restaurant_ ESK_16.4.2015.pdf

emmentaler-schaukaeserei.ch/filea dmin/user_upload/Wein_ und_Getraenkeangebot_E SK_17.4.2015.pdf

I am sure that the restaurant has an English language menu.

I find the prices a bit on the high side, but the portions are very large. That is still not uncommon in Switzerland.

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Gruyeres cheese factory day trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.