Montreux to Bulle by train

• carly822
    Participant
    5 posts
    5 November 2015 at 3:44:42 #808090

Hi,

We would like to travel from Montreux to Bulle by train,may i know how long is the journey and what kind of rail should we take? eg. Goldenpass Line or Swiss Chocolate train for more panoramic views? We have the Swiss Travel Pass. Will meals be serve because we have limited time for travelling. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    5 November 2015 at 9:19:20 #846832

Hi carly822,

The timetable shows all the details. You can take any of the connections with a change in Montbovon. That will automatically take you on the scenic Golden Pass line (until Montbovon). There’s no restaurant on these trains. The trains are free with your Swiss Travel Pass.

The Chocolate Train is not an options as it is a full day’s excursion, not a train to simply travel from A to B.

Does this help?

carly822
    Participant
    5 posts
    5 November 2015 at 9:38:34 #846833

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt reply,we have about 6-7 hours from Montreux to Bulle n back to Montreux again to try to catch the Xmas market at night. Do we have time to dropby Gruyere? i saw someone posting pictures about cheese fondue train from Bulle to Montreux too, we are trying to see as much as we can within this 6 -7 hours. what is your advice?

Thank You

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 November 2015 at 19:35:56 #846834

I have attached a screen capture for a random date in November from the timetable referred to in the earlier posts in this thread. I have expanded one entry to show the inntermediate stop.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Perhaps it can help you.

You need to decide how much time to spend in Gruyeres.

You also can check other journey times in the timetable.

Slowpoke

carly822
    Participant
    5 posts
    7 November 2015 at 11:49:53 #846835

Thank you very much!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 November 2015 at 14:33:28 #846836

Hope it helps.

Note the small cup symbol in the details for the second leg in the journey that I expanded.

That stands for “minibar” which is a cart that goes through the train selling drinks and sandwiches, etc. It usually makes a transit after each major stop.

If you travel the route at any time, you will almost surely see one.

A symbol of crossed knife and fork would mean a restaurant car.

Slowpoke

carly822
    Participant
    5 posts
    7 November 2015 at 15:43:20 #846837

Hi,

i am hoping to be able to take the goldenpass panoramic and goldenpass classic ,whichever suits my timing,i can’t confirm as it will depend on my flight n train before that.I also noticed the symbols GR-Groups Reservation compulsory and RE- Reservation recommended ,would like to know where i can reserve these seats if i am holding the swiss travel pass,and also what happens if i miss the reservation timings for the train? Can i take the next available train which may not be the goldenpass? All the train journeys that appear on the timetable on sbb should be free with the swiss travel pass right? Are we allowed to bring our own food and drinks on the trains?

Carly

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 November 2015 at 17:11:57 #846838

Hi Carly-

When are you traveling? Timetables up date on 15.12.2015 and there may be minor diffrences after that date. So, you should use your exact date.

It gets dark at around 1630 0r 1700 in December….can’t see the scenery.

Here are some details.

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

Arno and Annika have those details memorized. I am going by generalities.

This is always true –

You do not need a reservation to ride any regular train on that route or any route solely inside Switzerland. International routes —such as to Italy – require reservations once you are over the border, so it is good to get them for the Swiss part, too.

If I recall correctly, you only need reservations for the panoramic or VIP cars on a Golden Pass train. Please check the link above. I think that other special scenic trains may require reservations if the whole train is special, such as the Glacier Express.

If you miss the train with reserved seats you can catch the next train, without reserved seats.

Te views are great, even in a regular car. The switchbacks above Montreux let you see the sights from both sides of the train.

Here is some useful information, including information on trains and tickets:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr avel

Trains are free with the Swiss Travel Pass, as long as they are public transport, usually meaning between population centers.

Special excursion and privately owned trains, such as those up to Jungfrau, must be paid extra for, but there is usually a discount. Thus, on the route from Lauterbrunnen to the Jungfrau, the section as far as Wengen has no extra charge. After that, there is an added cost.

Both kinds of trains are in the timetable, as are cable cars, boats…..

You may bring your own food and drink. Please be neat with the residues. It is a custom in Switzerland. 😉

Slowpoke

carly822
    Participant
    5 posts
    9 November 2015 at 12:57:03 #846839

Hi,

WOW! thank you very much for all the information,i am so glad that i found this site,will recommend to my friends who will be travelling as well! i will be in Switzerland from mid-Dec to Xmas ,will keep a look out for the train timetable,i hope it will be a fruitful and enjoyable trip for my family and friends! Thank you.

With appreciation,

Carly

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 November 2015 at 15:02:36 #846840

<<“i will be in Switzerland from mid-Dec to Xmas “>>

The timetable and a map are quite helpful for even day to day planning. Even without this forum, they give a very useful background for travel in Switzerland. Glad you find our comments in addition to be helpful. Thanks.

At that time of year, the alpine resorts are starting up for the winter (ski=snowy) season. Most services and most hotels will be open then or soon after in the alpine regions. It is a busy time, and hotels are already booked near the Jungfrau, for example. Make sure you have a place to stay if yu go to those regions.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Montreux to Bulle by train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.