One day train option from Zurich guidance needed

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2016 at 20:28:56 #809229

Hi there,

I have one day spare in zurich and planning to utilize full on travel by train have following ideas.

Zurich to Tirano via bernina express 7:07 to 12:45

Tirano to zurich 14:26 to 19:53

Please guide me if this trip is worth that much travel or if you have better traveling option.

Thanks in Advance….

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 May 2016 at 5:34:24 #852171

Hi Mountain777,

That trip is worth it, although the disadvantage is that you need to backtrack (most of) the route. Alternatively you can travel from Tirano to Milan to Zurich for more variety. That takes about half an hour extra. Another option is to do part of the Glacier Express route as explained here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 8:14:04 #852172

Hi Mountain777,

If you are travelling between now and 23 October, another option to avoid backtracking would be to go back to Zürich via Lugano, travelling from Tirano to Lugano on the Bernina Express bus.

Also, I would not spend so much time in Tirano, but rather take short break on the way down at Alp Grüm, and then continue to Tirano on a local train.

There is a restaurant with a terrace and lovely views right at the Alp Grüm station

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/alp-gruem.html

http://www.engadin.stmoritz.c h/winter/en/gastronomi e/hotel-restaurant-alp-gruem/

To pass the time in Tirano, you could perhaps visit the Basilica of the Madonna of Tirano (“Santuario della Madonna di Tirano” in Italian) which has a beautiful interior and is about 15 minutes walk from the station. The train actually passes it on the way into Tirano. Between June and September, it is usually open from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, but closes between 12:15 and 2:30 at other times. The website is only in Italian, but has some pictures and a map.

santuarioditirano.it/

If you decide to do it this way and need assistance working out which trains and buses to catch, let me know your date of travel and I will work out the details.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 20:40:36 #852173

Really thanksffor such detailed information.

Since just today i went n came back from jungfraujoch and was so luckey that weather was as per attached pictures.

lauterbrunnen just saw from station and having strong urge to see it and murren. by going from zurich via bern to interlaken on 20th…. 21st im returning back…..suggest me somthig for that.

Its super wonderfull land, must visit again and people i will share my whole turbo tour story on another blog.

thanks once again all of you who has shared those information.

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 May 2016 at 5:51:54 #852174

Wonderful pictures; I’m glad you had such a nice day!

Perhaps you’re interested in these walks:

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 May 2016 at 0:08:07 #852175

<<“Also, I would not spend so much time in Tirano, but rather take short break on the way down at Alp Grüm, and then continue to Tirano on a local train.”>>

Never tried it. Sounds very good.

Thanks,

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘One day train option from Zurich guidance needed’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.