Trip report 3 Sept/Oct 2012 Mannlichen-Grindelwald

• traveljet
    Participant
    387 posts
    7 May 2016 at 11:48:00 #809127

PART 3: Trip Report from Mannlichen to Grindelwald Grund

(Pt 1 was Beatenberg, Brienz and Pt 2 was Wengen and Jungfrau)

The Männlichen station is about a 10 min walk from the Wengen station. We took the ropeway up to Mannlichen and this is one trip I definitely recommend if you are in Wengen. Take the ropeway from Wengen to Mannlichen and after walking around the place (you can walk to the peak after you arrive at the station on top). After walking around, go to the cable car station a few metres away to make the side trip to Grindelwald Grund. It’s a very pretty scenic relaxing ride and you get to enjoy the alpine scenery from all sides as you sit in the cable car. You can either make the return journey the same way or from Grindelwald Grund, you get to Grindelwald itself and take the train back to Wengen via Lauterbrunnen or Kleine Scheidegg.

We actually did this trip twice and the scenery was totally different both times at Mannlichen. Thoroughly enjoyed this outing. The attached photos show the different scenery for the 2 trips we took to the same place on 2 different days.

TIP: Please check when the last cable car or ropeway ends so you don’t get stuck up there.

Don’t worry if you can’t see the top of Mannlichen from Wengen. On our first trip it was absolutely clear but on the 2nd trip, we could not see the top of Mannlichen from Wengen as the cloud cover was heavy. Thankfully we didn’t let that deter us because once the ropeway broke through the clouds on the way up, we were in 7th heaven when we arrive at the top. It was as if we were in such a surreal place, it felt like we were “floating” with the clouds below us when we arrived at the top of Mannlichen.

You need to see the attached photos to appreciate and understand what I am talking about. I have to separate the trip reports because there is a limited number of photos for each place I can attach. So to be systematic, I want to be sure the photos attached correspond to the trip report of the place mentioned.

• The thread ‘Trip report 3 Sept/Oct 2012 Mannlichen-Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.