Seat Reservation Montreux – Zweisimme – Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2015 at 6:33:31 #807433

Good day,We have just bought the Swiss Travel Pass and we are planning for the following route for our trip in early Aug 2015.

1. Montreux – Interlaken (via Zweisimmen)

I2. nterlaken – Lucerne

Understand that seat reservation is not compulsory but we only have 2 nights to Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen and Jangfrau, appreciate you can advise if would you recommend to reserve seat and which website is the cheapest option and how to collect the ticket. Planning to take Train 3118 so that we can depart the earliest train 0944 hrs and reach Interlaken by 1243 hrs to continue our journey to Lauterbrunnen

Also, any preferred seating you will recommend for better view?

Many thanks in advance !!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    22 June 2015 at 14:46:20 #843902

Hello elaine, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You’re right, seat reservations are not obligatory for Golden Pass trains. They’re only required for the special VIP seats in front of the train, and recommended for a few Golden Pass connections. You can look for your specific connection in the timetable (enter ‘Zweisimmen’ as via-station in order to see the Golden Pass route) and click the ‘plus’ symbol for details. If ‘RE’ is mentioned, this means that seat reservation is recommended. This does not apply to the 3118 train you mention, except if you’d be traveling in a larger group.

If you do want to arrange for reservations beforehand, please follow the link under “More on other websites” at our Golden Pass tickets page. You can select specific seats while booking, but the coaches aren’t necessarily displayed in the actual driving direction, so you can’t tell at which side of the train you’ll be seated. If you don’t make reservations, you can simply sit on any of the non-reserved seats and choose your own side of the train. The train makes lots of curves and often switches from one side of the valley to the other between Montreux and Zweisimmen, so I don’t have a strong preference for either the left or ride side of the train. Between Interlaken and Lucerne I’d prefer the right side, as that provides better views of Lake Brienz. In Meiringen, the train switches its driving direction, and if you stay seated at the same side, you’ll be on the favourable side for views over the lakes near Sarnen and Lungern. You can take a look at our Golden Pass map and see for yourself.

You don’t need any other ticket, as your Swiss Travel Pass covers the ride.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2015 at 7:56:11 #843903

Hi Annika,

Many thanks for your reply. Reg your reply – Between Interlaken and Lucerne I’d prefer the right side.. this is from Interlaken to Lucerne or fm Lucerne to Interlaken? as we will be travelling from Interlaken to Lucerne…

As you mentioned, seat reservation is not recommended to 3118, means that most of the time we can get to the train? in case we made reservation for only 4068 train, any possibility that we cannot get the seat for 3118 to connect for it. Have checked there is no R for 3118, saw the R shown for 4068..

For 3118, it mentions that GOLDENPASS PANORAMIC (avec places VIP) – how to reserve for VIP and if that’s better view for VIp seat?

Lastly, once I reserve my seat, is there e-ticket issued?

Regards, Elaine

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 June 2015 at 10:37:24 #843904

Hi Elaine,

Annika’s comment was for the direction you’re traveling in (the right is best in both directions actually). The Golden Pass tickets page Annika gave you has a link to book (VIP) seats, under ‘More on other websites’. VIP seats are in the front of the train so they all have good views. I don’t know how they issue the reservation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2015 at 3:50:45 #843905

Hi Elaine,

I booked VIP seats online for the Golden Pass from Zweisimmen to Montreux last year, on a service leaving Zweisimmen at 12:25. The reservation was issued to me immediately as a printable PDF. (You need to be travelling first class to reserve the VIP seats).

The view from the VIP seats, especially in the first row, is wonderful! It is like you are driving the train. The driver is actually seated on a level above the VIP seats. The VIP seats in the first row are numbered 81, 83, 87, 85. Seats 81 (on the left in the direction of travel) and 85 are corner seats, and leg room is slightly reduced. But you do have the advantage of being able to take photos through the side window as well as the front window. Photos taken through the front window will feature the windscreen wipers as well as the wonderful landscape!

I have attached a picture of the carriage layout from the Golden Pass reservation page, with seats 81, 83, 87 and 85 circled in red, and some photos I took from seat 81. As you can see, it was a winter trip.

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 June 2015 at 11:54:17 #843906

Thanks a lot Alpenrose666! Very useful information and great pictures too!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2015 at 2:27:10 #843907

Thanks Arno!

The wealth of information on this site is playing a major role in shaping the itinerary for my next trip to Switzerland (next year). I’m glad I could make a contribution in return!

• The thread ‘Seat Reservation Montreux – Zweisimme – Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.