Should I reserve a seat during busy season

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2016 at 20:15:11 #809181

There are 5 of us travelling from Luzern to Interlaken at the end of July. I believe we do not need to reserve seats on the Golden Pass train but as there will be so many tourists at the time, would it be better for me to reserve a seat or will it not be a problem to just show up?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 May 2016 at 4:53:46 #851941

Hi macyclaire,

This is regular public transport; no need to book seats. Enjoy the ride!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2016 at 13:17:15 #851942

Thank you, Arno. I’m glad to know that I don’t have to worry about the train being full and not being able to get on – esp as there are 5 of us!!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 May 2016 at 22:10:15 #851943

Hi Macyclaire –

The Swiss really know how to care for travelers. You’ll have no trouble getting seats.

Maybe you will not be able to all sit together, but if you get on the train as soon as it is available, you’ll have no trouble with that, either.

If you wish to sit in the special seats in certain special cars and trains, up front below the driver’s “cockpit”, you’ll have to reserve.

Otherwise, as my 36 years of traveling to Switzerland has proven to me…there is always a seat on a train.

These days, the rush hour commuter trains in and out of Zürich, Geneva, Bern, Basel, do tend to be full, however.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2016 at 14:10:36 #851944

That’s good to know. Thank you.

Another train question – we are planning to take the cable car to Mannlichen, walk to Kleine Scheidegg and then catch the train to Jungfrau. I hear the Jungfrau train gets pretty crowded as the day progresses. Any idea when the busiest time would be? I’m debating if we should scrap this plan and just do Jungfrau first or if we will be ok if we get to KS by noon at the latest.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 May 2016 at 14:26:56 #851945

Late morning to mid afternoon is busiest in my opinion. Hard to predict though as it depends on the weather and the schedule of tour groups.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 May 2016 at 16:26:40 #851946

Although many consider the walk in the reverse direction to be OK ( KS to Männlichen) which could be done after Jungfraujoch, I personally feel very strongly that it should be done in the other direction (M to KS)..

M to KS is slightly down hill …not a big issue.

However, one of the special parts of the trip from M to KS is the way that the Eiger rises above you as you walk toward it. If you go the other way, you have to keep turning your head around, and the effects is not nearly as compelling.

Old picture is attached, from 2004. A crop from it shows the hikers at full image size…gives you some idea of how insignificant people are in that landscape.

Slowpoke

For what its worth, that is my opinion.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2016 at 18:49:50 #851947

Thank you, Arno & Slowpoke. I definitely want to do the walk from M to KS and not the other way around. I am just concerned about having to wait too long for a train to Jungfrau – we are in the region for such a short time, I don’t want to waste valuable time that could better be spent enjoying the area. There is so much I want to do and so little time :-‘(

Your pictures are awesome, Slowpoke!!

• The thread ‘Should I reserve a seat during busy season’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.