Swiss Half Fare Card for Golden Pass route

• alitravel
    Participant
    23 posts
    7 June 2016 at 15:04:56 #809381

Hi,

I am planning to buy a Swiss Half Fare Card.

Can someone please tell me what will be the price one way for lucerne to montreux journey by golden pass train. What discount will I get?

And to come back is golden pass the only option or we have other cheaper trains? And the price for them.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 June 2016 at 15:17:17 #852714

Hi Alitravel, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can find fares as explained in the timetable. The journey you asked about costs CHF 75. You can take the quicker route via Lausanne and Bern to get back to Lucerne. The price of that ticket is CHF 71. You will get a 50% discount on the prices I mentioned (see here).

Please see here for how to buy the Swiss Half Fare Card.

Enjoy the ride!

alitravel
    Participant
    23 posts
    8 June 2016 at 9:15:30 #852715

Hi Arno, thanks for your reply.

At this link : http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/tickets I see the below::

Swiss Half Fare Card discounts

Train from Montreux to Lucerne: 50% off

Does this mean that train in the other direction i.e Lucerne to Montreux is NOT discounted?

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 June 2016 at 9:41:13 #852716

Hi Alitravel,

It’s just mentioning the route. The direct of travel is not important. You can travel as you like, and even have stopovers along the way if you wish.

alitravel
    Participant
    23 posts
    8 June 2016 at 9:43:30 #852717

Thanks 🙂 I will have more questions soon as I am finalizing my itinerary 🙂

alitravel
    Participant
    23 posts
    8 June 2016 at 11:01:43 #852718

Can you please check the attached file and tell me if the route is the right one for golden pass?

I see the golden pass train only in the last leg that is zweisimmen to montreux . Other trains are not golden pass. Is that Ok? Isnt it one train all the way from lucerne to montreux?

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 June 2016 at 11:10:11 #852719

Sure, that’s the correct route. There are no direct trains due to technical differences between parts of the line. In some cases you don’t have to change in Spiez, but Interlaken Ost and Zweisimmen are always required. The change in Zweisimmen will no longer be necessary from 2018. They are working on that since 2010 at least. It’s a huge project.

alitravel
    Participant
    23 posts
    8 June 2016 at 11:14:32 #852720

So in short its not the train “Golden Pass” written outside throughout the journey right?

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 June 2016 at 11:21:42 #852721

That’s right. The Golden Pass is a route, and there are several types of trains (see the Golden Pass page). Basically it’s just public transport, not a “tour”, but it happens to be public transport in wonderful scenery.

alitravel
    Participant
    23 posts
    8 June 2016 at 11:22:52 #852722

thx for your support and quick response 🙂

alitravel
    Participant
    23 posts
    18 June 2016 at 13:26:04 #852723

Hi Arno, I am planning a trip to rhine falls from zurich and a bit confused between Schloss Laufen and Neuhausen.

I plan to take round trip train ticket to Schaffhausen . I will get down at neuhausen , go to rhine falls which is i guess 2km from there? when I reach rhine falls i plan to go to the Schloss Laufen side as i heard the view is better from there.

My que is can you please guide me how to go from neuhausen side of rhine falls to the Schloss Laufen side? And we have to come back to neuhausen side again as after rhine falls we plan to go to visit Schaffhausen town and then back to zurich.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 June 2016 at 13:49:12 #852724

Hi alitravel,

All details and a map can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ rhinefalls/ gettingthere.

alitravel
    Participant
    23 posts
    21 June 2016 at 22:47:31 #852725

Thanks Arno .

Can you please help me in finding the price of golden pass train from interlaken ost to montreux 2nd class. I have the pdf document but I am not able to understand it. Also please tell me if seat reservation is required or not. I read somewhere that it is recommended to do reservation in Zweisimmen to montreux journey.Is that true?

Do I need to book now for a journey in mid of July or that day itself I can take the tickets. I am planning to use half price pass.

Once I reach montreux , is coming back by golden pass is the only option or there are cheaper options to come back to Interlaken ost.

Thanks in advance.

Annika
    7103 posts
    22 June 2016 at 3:45:00 #852726

Hi alitravel,

The price with a Swiss Half Fare Card is CHF 26. The Golden Pass route is the slowest and cheapest route. If you want to get back faster, you can travel via Visp for CHF 36.50. Prices can be found as explained on the timetable page.

You can obtain the Swiss Half Fare Card by visiting http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass (no delivery fees), so you can print it at home.

The tickets can be purchased on the day from the machine or ticket desk. Reservations are optional. Please see the Golden Pass page Arno referred to in a previous post, and click to the Tickets tab.

alitravel
    Participant
    23 posts
    22 June 2016 at 9:12:49 #852727

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I am trying to fill up the below sheet but some of the fares I am not able to find out. I use sbb.ch but for me it is confusing. Can you please help with the blank ones below ( actual price without any pass)

1. zurich airport to zurich train station 6.6
    2. zurich to Schaffhausen return
    3. Zurich to engelberg one way
    4. Mount titlis 89
    5. Engelberg to Lucerne one way
    6. Lucerne to Interlaken one way
    7. Jungfrau 204
    8. Interlaken to Montreux Golden Pass 52
    9. Montreux to Interlaken 52
    10. Interlaken to Murren one way
    11. Interlaken to Zurich one way
    12. Zurich train station to airport 6.6
    Arno
    15471 posts
    22 June 2016 at 13:04:11 #852728

Hi alitravel,

Some of the price you weren’t able to find are in areas that do not have point to point tickets but unlimited traveling within “zones” (areas). In such a case you can pick the day card price if you are looking for a return ticket.

2. CHF 46

3. CHF 37

5. CHF 17.80

6. CHF 32

10. CHF 18.60

11. CHF 69

alitravel
    Participant
    23 posts
    22 June 2016 at 13:21:08 #852729

Hi Arno ,

Thank u so much for being so helpful.

My itinerary:

Day 1) Zurich to Schaffhausen . Cover rhine falls visit the town of Schaffhausen come back to zurich and take train engelberg.

Day2) Cover mount titlis . Take train to Lucerne in the evening , see the city and stay overnight

Day3) Take train to interlaken in the morning. Go to jungfrau

Day 4) Take golden pass from interlaken to montreux and come back

Day5) Go to murren

Day6) Take train to Zurich see the city and take flight back in the evening

Now for the above itinerary based on your comments I made this the full price sheet:

zurich airport to zurich train station 6.6

zurich to Schaffhausen return 46

Zurich to engelberg 37

Mount titlis 89

Engelberg to Lucerne 17.8

Lucerne to Interlaken 32

Jungfrau 204

Interlaken to Montreux Golden Pass 52

Montreux to Interlaken 52

Trip to murren Grindelwald 38

Interlaken to Zurich 69

Zurich train station to airport 6.6

The total comes to 650 CHF and I add some unplanned travelling then lets consider it 700 CHF.

Now if i take half pass then to me the cost will be : 700/2 + 120 = 470

If I take swiss pass for 6 days ( 3 +3 ) the cost will be = 420

But I read that in case of swiss pass cable car and some part of journey to jungfrau is only 25% discount.

I am considering buying a half price card. Can you please suggest if this is the right one for my trip.

Thanks in advance 🙂

alitravel
    Participant
    23 posts
    22 June 2016 at 13:24:24 #852730

I just noticed there is swiss travel pass for 8 days and the cost is CHF 363.00

I guess that should be the best for me?

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 June 2016 at 13:45:11 #852731

Hi alitravel,

Yes, with those numbers the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass would be a great option. And also more convenient than buying tickets all the time. Only the Jungfraujoch discount is different from the Swiss Half Fare Card: partly free and partly 25% off, instead of 50% off the entire way (see here). You can print the Swiss Travel Pass at home too, exactly like Annika explained for the Swiss Half Fare Card in her previous post.

alitravel
    Participant
    23 posts
    22 June 2016 at 13:52:10 #852732

Yes I think that should suit my needs the best.

One more query :

Transport into the mountains (by cable car, funicular, cogwheel train, etc.) is discounted; … so this means the trip to titlis will also be discounted. But how much do u know? Is titlis trip also 25%? For jungfrau i have sent a mail to the info center to get the exact amount with swiss travel pass.

alitravel
    Participant
    23 posts
    22 June 2016 at 13:55:03 #852733

just got this reply from the jungfrau info :

With Swiss Travel Pass you travel free from Interlaken Ost as far as Wengen and Grindelwald. For the journey further up you get a discount of 25%. The reduced additional ticket for Swiss Pass holders costs CHF 133.- per person (two way ticket).

So I still need to shell out 133 CHF !! that will make it 363 for pass + 133 i.e 496 !!

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card for Golden Pass route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.