Swiss rail pass and Jungfraujoch

• drmd1
    Participant
    3 posts
    30 April 2016 at 8:32:28 #809054

Hi

If I have ‘Swiss travel pass’ and travel from Bern to Jungfraujoch and back on same day, do I need to pay any extra cost for ticket or all the tickets are included in the Swiss pass?

If there is an extra cost, what is the procedure to pay? get tickets?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 April 2016 at 12:22:42 #851397

Hi drmd1, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You need to buy a ticket for the part of your trip that is not free, but discounted. Please see the map for what’s free and discounted. Your discounted ticket costs CHF 132.75.

drmd1
    Participant
    3 posts
    30 April 2016 at 19:59:42 #851398

Thanks Arno for your reply.

I will be attending a 4 day event in Davos and plant to go to Jungfraujoch on a day tour. I guess that’s a bit hectic but possible using public transport. What do you suggest? Also what else can I do in Davos and nearby areas using ‘Swiss travel pass’?

I also came to know about ‘Davos Klosters Card’ (http://www.davos.ch/en/summer /activities/davos-klosters-inclusive/) but it’s not clear what’s the price and how to get it? Is it provided by the hotel? If I have ‘Davos Klosters Card’ which includes free public transport in/around Davos then probably I don’t require ‘Swiss travel pass’ for days I am in/around Davos, is that correct? Would be grateful if you could provide more info about ‘Davos Klosters Card’ also.

Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 May 2016 at 7:35:18 #851399

You’re welcome drmd1!

You can’t do a day trip to Jungfraujoch from Davos. Just the traveling would take 7 hours one way. You can do it from Bern like you suggested before. A trip to Mount Corvatsch and St. Moritz could be an alternative.

You’ll get the Davos Klosters Card for free when you check into your hotel for more than one night. If you only do local trips (which does not include the one I suggested above), you can indeed do it with that card. Please see the map I referred to for what you can do with the Swiss Travel Pass. A ride on the Bernina Express to Tirano would be very nice as well.

drmd1
    Participant
    3 posts
    3 May 2016 at 10:20:31 #851400

Thank you Arno. I’ll certainly try to do Bernina express if I couldn’t make it to Jungfraujoch. Meanwhile I have made a very ambitious and detailed plan (attached) and would be grateful to know your expert view on this. I understand that too much has been packed in these 2 days and I might not be able to do all this. I would be thankful if you could critically examine the itinerary and comment on following:-

1. Feasibility of doing this on 30-31 August 2016 (summer)?

2. Is the trains/buses/LB/Fun etc. selected are correct and run during summer as well?

3. Is it worth going to Schilthorn early morning at 8 AM?

4. Is it worth going to Harder Klum as late as 6 PM?

5. If I have to cut short my visit to a few cities/places, which places should those be?

6. If I have to drop a few things out, what should those be?

7. Would it be worth buying any travel card for this plan? If yes, which one?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 May 2016 at 14:50:35 #851401

Hi drmd1,

That plan is indeed ambitions, but if you have checked the timetable it technically doable. I did not verify all times but at first glance it looks fine. Visiting peaks early or late is all fine as long as the weather is good. On average, the best weather is in the morning, but obviously statistics don’t matter if you have planned a fixed day. Let’s hope for the best!

I would change day 1 to this: Davos – Lucerne – Interlaken – Wilderswil – Schynige Platte – Wilderswil. Harder Kulm is nice but not the highlight of the region. Schynige Platte is more impressive and free with a Swiss Travel Pass.

Another option is the Swiss Half Fare Card. You’d have to do the math to make sure which option is cheaper.

• The thread ‘Swiss rail pass and Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.