Tight schedule Jungfrau in early April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2016 at 6:55:42 #808410

Refer to my post earlier: Tight schedule jungfrau in early April (which has been closed, so I need to create a new post)

Thanks Arno & Annika,

I found this forum is really helpful! After checking many of the topics here, I changed a bit of my schedule of day 1 & 2 and they are interchangeable, all depend on the weather. However, I wonder if I have enough time to do day 2 schedule (Jungfrau) if I start my journey from Grindelwald around 12:30 pm? For First – Bachsee, I understand we will have to go by train from Grindelwald to gondola, and then walk up to First and then to Bachsee. I wonder if we can take a bus/train down to Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg directly from Bachsee area, and then get back to Grindelwald from Männlichen? Not sure if it is possible?

Thanks

• 01-Apr Day 1 – Lausanne – Grindelwald
    • 01-Apr Day 1 – Grindelwald – First
    • 01-Apr Day 1 – First – Bachsee – First / Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg
    • 01-Apr Day 1 – First / Männlichen – KleineScheidegg – Grindelwald
    • 02-Apr Day 2 – Grindelwald – Jungfrau
    • 02-Apr Day 2 – Jungfrau – Wengen
    • 02-Apr Day 2 – Wengen – Lauterbrunnen
    • 02-Apr Day 2- Lauterbrunnen – Grindelwald
  • Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    12 February 2016 at 13:31:21 #848386

Hi sumsum!

I’m afraid not all of your plans will work. The main problem is that the First cable car won’t be operational (there’s a break in the schedule between March 28 and May 7). You would be able to reach Grindelwald and visit Männlichen (still accessible up to April 3) and/or Kleine Scheidegg on day 1. The hike Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg will probably not be accessible. In mid-winter it’s usually maintained as a winter hiking trail, but in the off season they may shut down the route due to melting snow and mud. If you’re interested in hiking, you’d better try to include one of the suggestions Arno made in your previous topic. It would be a bit much to do so on day 1 though. Day 2 seems to offer more chances to make a hike.

Your plans for day 2 are doable, although I’d personally prefer to leave earlier on the day, especially if weather forecasts are more favorable for the morning.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2016 at 5:19:30 #848387

Thanks Annika,

Since we can’t go First and Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg, I will take Arno’s suggestion instead. But I am not sure if below plans are doable or it is the best way to get to the places. And seem we will have to reach Lauterbrunnen on 2 days.

• 01-Apr Day 1 – Lausanne – Grindelwald
    • 01-Apr Day 1 – Grindelwald – Lauterbrunnen- Stechelberg
    • 01-Apr Day 1 – Stechelberg – Schilthorn
    • 01-Apr Day 1 – Schilthorn – Kleine Scheidegg – Lauterbrunnen – Grindelwald
    • 02-Apr Day 2 – Grindelwald – Jungfrau
    • 02-Apr Day 2 – Jungfrau – Wengen
    • 02-Apr Day 2 – Wengen – Lauterbrunnen
    • 02-Apr Day 2- Lauterbrunnen – Grindelwald

Thank you!

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 February 2016 at 10:01:27 #848388

Hi sumsum,

Day 2 is fine. Day 1 could be doable but I’d recommend a very early departure from Lausanne as it takes nearly 3 hours to reach Grindelwald. Cable cars and mountain train run until late afternoon or early evening. Details are in the timetable.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2016 at 2:24:02 #848389

Thanks Arno,

Do you have any recommendations for us for day 1 if we don’t go Stechelberg -& Schilthorn? Since we will need to travel Lauterbrunnen twice in 2 days, and we both are not a good hiker :o)

We would do some town visit or somewhere near Grindelwald, any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 February 2016 at 9:07:36 #848390

Hi sumsum,

An alternative would be to skip Schilthorn, but still visit Mürren that day for its wonderful views. You can walk from Grütschalp to Mürren (very easy) or take the train. To save time, you can do all of that first: travel from Lausanne to Lauterbrunnen, put your luggage in a locker, go to Mürren, back to Lauterbrunnen and finally to Grindelwald. If you want to skip all of this you can do a simple walk around Grindelwald. The tourist office will be able to provide suggestions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2016 at 9:36:52 #848391

Dear Arno,

Thank you for your suggestion, it sounds wonderful and saving lots of time!

Great help! Thanks again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2016 at 5:45:07 #848392

Since my friend’s family is unable to take us around in the first two days now. We have to amend our plan. We will be traveling in 6 days totally, which passes we should use for our case?

• 30-Mar Day 1 – Geneva airport – Geneva City – Old Town St.Pierre Cathedral – Plainpalais Flea Market – The Lake – Lausanne
    • 31-Mar Day 2 – Lausanne – Vevey – Montrex – Lausanne
    • 01-Apr Day 3 – Lausanne – Grindelwald – Lauterbrunnen-Stechelberg – Schilthorn (or Mürren) -Lauterbrunnen – Grindelwald
    • 02-Apr Day 4 – Grindelwald – Jungfrau – Wengen–Lauterbrunnen– Grindelwald
    • 03-Apr Day 5 – Grindelwald -St. Gallen – Appenzell- St.Gallen
    • 04-Apr Day 6 – St. Gallen – Zurich – Zurich citysightseeing – Zurich – Airport

Any suggesting places to visit around Lausanne for Day 2 ?

Thanks!

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 March 2016 at 9:20:25 #848393

Hi sumsum,

I would say that a Swiss Half Fare Card should result in the lowest spending. But, be sure to compare it to the more convenient Swiss Travel Pass. How to do so is explained here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2016 at 3:05:28 #848394

Hello again,

I have changed my day 3 schedule as below. I have few questions:

Would you advise if it worth to take 2 boat trips a day? Since we will carrying baggage with us, can we access to the boat? Also, Would it be too late to get to Grindelwald after 18:00? After sunset?

01-Apr Day 3 – Lausanne to Thun (by train) – Lake Thun to Interlaken- Interlaken boat to Lake Brienz- Brienz to Grindelwald (by train)

I have checked the timetable from http://www.bls.ch However I am a bit confused about the departure time, please correct me if I am wrong

From Thun to Interlaken West 11:24am-13:49pm

From Interlaken OST to Brienz 16:07-17:20pm

Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 March 2016 at 6:51:40 #848395

Hi sumsum,

You can take along luggage on the boat, store it in Interlaken while on Lake Brienz, or ship it ahead: myswissalps.com/train/ practical/luggage.

The boat from Thun departs 11:40 AM, and 16:07 PM from Interlaken Ost is correct. Please see http://www.bls.ch/e/schifffah rt/fahrplan.php or the nation wide timetable (and select just boats as the mode of transport).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2016 at 7:04:51 #848396

Thanks for your reply Arno,

I have checked nation wide timetable but it only shows 14:07 from Interlaken to Brienz with BAT on 1 Apr (which is differ with bls pdf). is it the last boat for the day?

Thank you!

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 March 2016 at 7:52:26 #848397

Sorry about that, I missed the footnote saying the later boat only operates from May 14. Well, that shows how tricky timetables can be. You can catch the earlier boat if you take the first train to Ost, 4 minutes after arrival in West. It can be done if you hurry a bit.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2016 at 10:14:22 #848398

Hi Arno,

Thanks for that. Can you kindly check again for me because I cannot search any boat for Lake Thun on 1 Apr with nation wide timetable. Does it mean there is no boat for that date ?

Thank you

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 March 2016 at 15:45:42 #848399

Hi sumsum,

The boat operates, no worries. Please see the attachment. Enjoy the lakes!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2016 at 2:03:55 #848400

Thanks for your help Arno

• The thread ‘Tight schedule Jungfrau in early April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.