Visiting Bernese Oberland with young kids late Oct

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2016 at 9:36:02 #810066

We are a family with 2 young kids and will be travelling around Bernese Oberland / based at Grindelwald for 4 nights in late October . As we are in Swiss for 5 days, would like to clarify how the rail pass works i.e. for a 4 days consecutive pass can this be effectively spread over 5 days if we used it in the evening of day 1 till afternoon of day 5?) As we intend to base ourselves in Bernese oberland….would it make sense to get the bernese oberland pass only (which does not cover the travel to and from basel airport) or should we get the half fare pass instead?

In addition, due to the young kids, we would prefer to have minimal travelling time and minimal hiking. In this regards, what is the possible itinerary options recommended? My preliminary plans are as follows:-

Day 1: Arrive in Basel Airport in the evening. Travel to Grindelwald.

Day 2: First / Bachalpsee Lake (is this feasible with very young kids??!!) / Grosse Scheidegg

Day 3: Lauterbrunnen Valley waterfalls / Trummelbach Falls / Wengen Mannlichen Aerial Cableway / Murren

Day 4: Jungfrau (thinking to skip this as it requires topping up…. any other alps / highly recommended places thats included in the BO rail pass?)

Day 5: Harder Klum / Lake Thun / Travel to Basel Airport

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 September 2016 at 10:33:04 #855833

Welcome to MySwissAlps pinknun!

You can consider Schynige Platte (myswissalps.com/ schynigeplatte) instead of a visit to Jungfraujoch. It’s free with a Swiss Travel Pass or Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. The last day it operates (and many cableways too) is October 23.

I recommend to first decide on where to visit, and take the timetable into account as not all transportation might be available when you’re there. Then pick a pass based on that. You’ll find all details here: myswissalps.com/ train/ticketspasses. How the passes work is explained there as well.

How old are the kids? What are you exact travel dates?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2016 at 10:44:14 #855834

We will arrive on 22 oct evening and depart on 26 oct. You mention alot of cable cars are close after 23 oct! How do we check on the closing dates for each venue?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2016 at 10:46:01 #855835

By the way both my kids are 5 years old. But they dont really like walking / running too much and they move really slowly for tgeir age……so we do foresee a hassle once the kids are required to walk more than 30min ….

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 September 2016 at 11:15:10 #855836

Hi pinknun,

I linked to the timetable. It has all the schedules for all of Switzerland. I’d recommend Schynige Platte for the 23th if the weather is good that day.

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 September 2016 at 11:22:01 #855837

Kids that age do quite some hiking in Switzerland. Nothing extreme of course. If yours don’t like to walk for more than 30 minutes the options will be limited as even most of the easier walks take more than that. A walk to the Bachsee and back takes about 2.5 hours, for example, and it’s the only way to get there. You may want to do half of the 1.5 hour walk from Grütschalp to Mürren. It’s very easy, and you can stop half way in Winteregg to catch a train to Mürren.

This one day Jungfrau region tour might be of interest: myswissalps.com/ onedayjungfrauregion. It includes only short walks, and optional longer ones.

JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    9 September 2016 at 13:28:34 #855838

I have no idea whether these places are accessible when you are visiting in October, you’ll need to check on the timetable, but some good things with kids without walking are 1) playground at Allmendhubel – if you are going to Murren you could make the trip up to here, it’s walkable but steep, or there is a funicular railway but this may be closed. It’s pretty spectacular, I have attached a photo. 2) Again, so long as the gondolas are operating, you can still enjoy a trip up to First from Grindelwald but without the hike to Bachalpsee. There are cows with bells in meadows, a cliff walk if you’re daring (photo attached), and some great views. 3) You can stop at Bort (see photo) on the way down where there is another great playground and more views.

We have only ever been in August so I really have no idea what the weather will be like when you are there or what will be open, but these were enjoyed by my kids. On your day 5, don’t underestimate how long it will take you to get to Basel airport when you are planning your day. Are you getting the train or driving? If you’re getting the train you will also need a bus to the airport once in Basel.

Edit – another photo attaching fail by me, Arno if you have any time and could make them smaller like you did last time that would be fab – I’ll email them to you, no worries if not.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    9 September 2016 at 14:08:55 #855839

Hi pinknun,

Unfortunately a great number of the lifts in the region operate only until 23 October. For example, you cannot visit First, Schynige Platte, Männlichen, nor Allmendhubel after that date nor take the bus to Grosse Scheidegg. You can walk from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg, Grütschalp to Mürren (with a stop part way along at Winteregg that has a big playground as Arno suggests), and go up the Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch. Or take a boat trip on Lake Thun (Lake Brienz ships also cease operation 23 October).

Following is a list of operating dates for many of the mountain transports in the region

Bernese Oberland Mountain Transport 2016 Operating Dates

Please note that all scheduled operating dates are weather-dependent. Following are the most popular transports in the region; for a more complete list see http://www.regiopass-berneroberland.ch/peri od-of-operation-2016

Wengernalpbahn (Lauterbrunnen to/from Kleine Scheidegg via Wengen) runs year round.

Jungfrau Railway (between Kleine Scheidegg and Jungfraujoch) operates year round.

Schynige Platte Bahn (Wilderswil to Schynige Platte): operations resume 28 May 2016 and run until 23 October 2016 (note: the Schynige Platte to First hike is often closed until mid-June due to snow)

Lauterbrunnen to Mürren via Grütschalp train: operates year round except 2 to 4 May 2016 and 24 October to 4 November 2016. During these dates public transport to Mürren is available via the Schilthorn gondola only.

Schilthorn gondola (Stechelberg to Schilthorn via Gimmelwald and Mürren): operates year round except 18 April to 22 April 2015 and 14 November to 9 December 2016.

Männlichen gondola (from Wengen and from Grindelwald)

Summer operations Wengen to/from Männlichen 21 May to 23 October 2016. The gondola Grindelwald to/from Männlichen operates 28 May to 23 October 2016. See http://www.maennlichen.ch/en/ summer-timetable.html for operating hours.

(Note: the Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk is usually closed until mid-June due to snow)

Allmendhubel cog train (Mürren to Allmendhubel): operates year round except 4 April until 10 June 2016 and 17 October until 9 December 2016. See schilthorn.ch/en/Angeb ot/Timetable__Tariffs/ Timetable for operating hours.

First gondola (Grindelwald to First via Bort): Re-opens 30 April until 23 October 2016. The gondola operates on a reduced schedule at beginning and end of seasons. For more information see http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tou rism/travel-information/timetable/ grindelwald (Note: the First to Bachalpsee walk, accessible during summer season, is typically closed until mid-June due to snow)

Harderkulm: operates 23 April 2015 until 23 October 2016

Lake cruises:

Lake Thun cruises operate daily from 25 March until 10 December 2016. Lake Brienz cruises operate daily from 25 March 2016 until 23 October 2015 (Note: cruise schedules vary significantly based on season, see http://www.bls.ch/e/schifffah rt/fahrplan.php for details)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 September 2016 at 15:40:20 #855840

Hi Kim-

<<“Following is a list of operating dates for many of the mountain transports in the region Bernese Oberland Mountain Transport 2016 Operating Dates”>>

Thanks for the list. It will surely be useful.

I’m afraid that I’ll find it useful to refer to a few times in the next several weeks. 😉

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 September 2016 at 9:25:37 #855841

Hi Joey,

I attached the images to your post. Thanks for providing them!

JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    12 September 2016 at 10:58:55 #855842

Thank you!

• The thread ‘Visiting Bernese Oberland with young kids late Oct’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.