Wengen to Murren and Murren Hike

• msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    19 May 2015 at 11:24:55 #807257

Hi

I recently came to know that the Swiss Pass does not cover the cable cars and the 4 days that I spend in the Oberland will cost a lot due to the cable cars. We are travelling as a couple in October and going to base in Wengen.

1. What are the most economical ways to commute while in Oberland? Is there any cable car pass for 4 days?

2. I would like to have 1 to 2 hikes from Wengen (mainly Mannlichen to Klein Schedigg)

and 1 to 2 hikes from Murren. I need advice regarding hikes around Murren. Do you recommend Murren to Gimmelwald and Rick Steves suggests? How far is First to Baschee and do you recommend?

3. How much does an average cable car cost from Wengen to Murren if I have the Swiss Pass?

Thank you for all the replies in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 May 2015 at 15:03:43 #843195

Hi msra7hm2,

1. The map of what’s covered can be downloaded from myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/validity. My advice is to first make your plans, then study the map carefully to check the total costs. As you will see on the map, cable cars to Mürren are free, as well as the cogwheel trains to Wengen and Grindelwald. Trains to Kleine Scheidegg and beyond are 25% off, the rest is 50% off. Buying another pass is not cost efficient in most cases, but you could look into the Jungfrau VIP Pass and Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. Both passes are 25% cheaper for Swiss Travel Pass holders. How to do the math and select a pass is explained here.

2. Please find lots of suggestions here: myswissalps.com/ jungfrauregion/activities.

3. There are no cable cars from Wengen to Mürren. It’s a combination of trains and cable car, and all of them are free with your Swiss Travel Pass.

I hope this was useful for you!

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    21 May 2015 at 11:42:34 #843196

Thanks.

What is your opinion about Murren to Gimmelwald as Rick Steves suggests?

How is First to Baschee. Do you recommend?

I am unable to decide just looking at the description. Any personal experience would be appreciated!

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 May 2015 at 19:36:54 #843197

Mürren to Gimmelwald is nice but not nicer than many other trails in the area. There are two trails and I recall that the higher one is better, even though it does cross a bit of forest so that obstructs the views. First to Bachsee is wonderful on a bright day, and it’s not a difficult trail.

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    22 May 2015 at 18:24:27 #843198

Can I do First to Bachsee on my way back from Jungfraujoch? What would be the route?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 May 2015 at 1:16:18 #843199

<<“Can I do First to Bachsee on my way back from Jungfraujoch? What would be the route?”>> Go via Grindelwald.

Look at the time table that has been pointed out to you in the past. That will get you from Grindelwald to/from First. The walk from First to Bachalpsee requires about 45 minutes.

So, the answer to your question is-

“it depends.”

it depends on how much time you will spend on, and when you will go up to, Jungfraujoch.

If you want to try out these kinds of possibilities, you can use the time table and a map. Or, you can specify what time you will come down from Jungfraujoch to Kleine Scheidegg,and then the answer to your question depends on the time tables, plus a decision on how fast you can make the hike to/from Bachalpsee/ First.

I have not done that hike, so I do not know whether it requires boots.

Annika
    7122 posts
    23 May 2015 at 8:17:47 #843200

Hi msra7hm2. Details about the hike First-Bachalpsee can be found here.

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    23 May 2015 at 10:03:39 #843201

I was thinking of doing a half day tour to Jungfraujoch unless you recommend a full day.

Leaving at 8 or 9 and returning by 2 in the afternoon and then doing a scenic hike before moving to our base wengen.

I only have 4 days in Wengen and trying to maximise my enjoyment there.

Can this help in recommending a hike for me on the way back ?

Thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 May 2015 at 10:59:09 #843202

Hi msra7hm2,

Logistically, since you’re based in Wengen, the best ones are Kleine Scheidegg to Männlichen and Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen (or part of that route). That’s what i would do.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 May 2015 at 14:12:16 #843203

Arno-

Although you can definitely do KS-Männlichen in either direction, as i mentioned in an earlier post, I feel pretty strongly about doing it from Männlichen to KS.

I feel so strongly about it that – if i were doing it after a trip to the Jungfraujoch – I would take the extra time, trouble and expense to take the train down to Wengen from KS, ride the gondola lift up to Männlichen , walk to KS and return to Wengen by train or on foot.

Or, I would do the walk first, then go up. Do you have any sense of waiting time for the KS->JJ train in October?

However, I am a fanatic about getting just the right pictures along that trail, and you cannot do that if you have to stop and turn around every 5 minutes.

Just my own opinion.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    23 May 2015 at 14:37:28 #843204

Hello msra (etc. :)),

If you want to combine a trip to Jungfraujoch and a hike on the same day, it makes more sense to start the hike from Kleine Scheidegg, since that’s the place where the train to Jungfraujoch departs and arrives. You will be full with impressions anyway, and a trip so high up can be rather tiring. I’m with Arno and I would not take extra trains to get to the other side to hike back to Kleine Scheidegg. I’m aware you will have to get back to Wengen – but you can take ​the gondola at Männlichen to Wengen. Something you don’t want to miss!

The hike from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen is beautiful as well; it’s going down a bit, Kleine Scheidegg-Männlichen means an ascend of about 150 metres, it’s not difficult at all.

We’ve done both hikes more often than I can recall and I’d say: Jungfraujoch, Kleine Scheidegg-Männlichen-Gondola to Wengen. I’m sure you will enjoy it!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 May 2015 at 15:48:00 #843205

Hi Olga –

MSra7…. is staying in Wengen.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, but if I were staying in Wengen, I would take the gondola lift at 0830 up to Männlichen, walk 1 1/2 hours downhill to Kleine Scheidegg arriving 1030 or earlier, and , then take the train up to JFJ. Plenty of places to have a cup of tea or coffee (your choice) at KS if you have to wait for a train. Also, plenty of slack in the schedule if you want to leave Wengen a bit later. I would ask at my hotel about how crowded the trains are up to JFJ. In October, i would not expect much problem. Do you have an opinion on that?

On the return from JFJ, after reaching KS, I would ride to Wengen. I personally would not walk down. It is downhill quite a lot, and can be hard on your knees and legs if you are not in shape. We had that trouble the first time we walked it, and di not consider it a scenic enough walk to repeat it.

The reason I would not walk from KS to Männlichen is that you either stop and turn around a lot, or you miss the overwhelming views of the Eiger Nordwand. Also, a 150 meter climb, ending at 2239 meters above sea level, may be a bit tiring in the thin air. Not really a problem for most people, especially if the are not as old as I am. 😉 . But, noticeable for some.

Although I am not a fan of Rick Steve’s, he does get a lot of things right. He says walk from Männlichen to KS. He’s right on that one.

The simple answer is to walk first (M->KS) then ride (KS to JFJ) afterwards.

Do you have any reasons that you would not do it in that order?

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    23 May 2015 at 15:50:00 #843206

@ Slowpoke: I stated my opninion in my post. I can understand why anyone would do it in an other order. I would do it in this order. Those are my two cents, and what you would do or Rick Steve would do is not the question. Opninions are asked for, this is mine.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 May 2015 at 16:05:26 #843207

Thanks –

You have surely done the walk many more times than I have. MSra…. has got surely lots of options to think about.

I agree with your comment about opinions. ;-).

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    23 May 2015 at 16:24:31 #843208

Hi msra7hm2,

I’m curious, will you be in Switzerland early or late October? Weather and snow conditions may change during this month. This may be of importance for the hikes you want to make, especially on somewhat higher altitudes. Don’t forget to get informed about the possibilities of making a certain hike on a certain day. E.g. if you would like to do the Kleine Scheidegg – Männlichen hike after your visit to Jungfraujoch, there’s a chance you may encounter conditions like in the attached photo , which was taken on October 23th. At the time this wasn’t a problem to us, because we were very careful, had proper boots, walking sticks etc. I just want to point out the importance to get proper advice as far as the weather concerns (e.g. Tourist Office) in relation to your plans, this time of year.

Have a wonderful stay!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 May 2015 at 18:00:21 #843209

Hi Wandermann.

There has been some discussion about the need for boots on that trail.

I notice that, in late October, you wore them.

I tend to wear them all the time when hiking, because I like ankle support, but others may not like the bulk.

Do you have an opinion? Is it dependent on which month of the year you are on the trail?

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    23 May 2015 at 18:38:53 #843210

Hi Slowpoke,

I’m not Wandermann, but when I’m hiking I always ware hiking boots, because I think they are comfortable and I don’t want to meet unexpected snow or uneven rocks. I even take my hiking sticks in my backpack just to make sure, even if it’s July/August, even if heat is expected. One can never know in the Alps and exactly that is one of the charms, sometimes it gets warmer/colder than expected. Same goes for extra food and water, you never know and it’s nice to carry someting extra, like a fleece or a rain jacket whenever…

So yes, always take something extra and wear hiking boots. Why hiking on sneekers or even flip-flops like I’ve seen so many times (and man, I felt so sorry for those who went from Schynige Platte to First on those unconfortable things!).

Again, I’m not Wandermann.

Another two cents…

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 May 2015 at 19:05:36 #843211

Hi Olga-

<<“I’m not Wandermann, but when I’m hiking I always ware hiking boots, because I think they are comfortable and I don’t want to meet unexpectedsnow or uneven rocks. I even take my hiking sticks in my backpack just to make sure, even if it’s July/August, even if heat is expected. One can never know in the Alps and exactly that is one of the charms, sometimes it gets warmer/colder than expected. Same goes for extra food and water, you never know and it’s nice to carry something extra, like a fleece or a rain jacket whenever…”>>

Your reasons match my own, exactly. I’ve not been able to figure out why many people really don’t want to wear boots unless they are almost forced to.

Perhaps it is because they want to “travel light” and not have heavy luggage to haul around. Certainly, that is a concern for me – I wear the largest size that Lowa makes and they take a lot of space in my luggage. But, I bring them anyway, and wear them.

I cannot imagine making a hike such as Schynige Platte to First without boots with lugged soles and at least one Spazierstock. And a fleece and rain gear in my rucksack. Many people accuse me of being too careful, but I have not had to call for REGA. 😉

Slowpoke

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    23 May 2015 at 19:15:28 #843212

Hello Slowpoke,

I don’t mind discussions about what to wear and when and where. No hiking boots when I’m on a city tour, visiting a museum, taking a long train ride, etc. But when I’m going up just a bit higher for a hike I’ll be wearing my hiking boots (in all seasons) . When in mountainous areas for me counts: “better safe than sorry”.

By the way, is this still relevant to msra7hm2?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 May 2015 at 20:05:07 #843213

<<“By the way, is this still relevant to msra7hm2?”>>

Kind of, sort of, maybe. 😉

Since MSra7hm2 is a newcomer to the region and the hikes, and may have read some commentaries saying that boots are not necessary on some trails, I thught we could answer her question before she asked it. 😉

I’m done with it.

Thanks.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 May 2015 at 23:59:09 #843214

<<“I’m curious, will you be in Switzerland early or late October?”>>

Here is a quote from one of her earlier posts:

<<“Please help me choose the best hotel in Wengen for 4 nights from 2 October to 6 October for a honeymoon couple out of these or any other.”>>

Seems like “early.”

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • The thread ‘Wengen to Murren and Murren Hike’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.