When to visit Jungfrau & Titlis – avoid the crowds

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2015 at 12:55:35 #807836

Hi,

Planning to visit Switzerland in third week of Sep’15. We are planning to do excursion to Titlis and Jungfrau..from Lucerne (base location)

We have got a feedback, that these excursions are very very crowded usually…

We need tips from people who have visited the place or experts on this forum as to, which day in the week would be more conducive to travel to these excursions?

Will the excursions be crowded on weekends (sat and sun)? Will visitng on weekdays be more conducive?

Is there an added advantage to visit the place very early in the morning..i think both excursions start at 8-8.30 in the morning?

We are planning to buy passes for these excursions from India, since they give flexibility to travel on any 8 days we are in Switzerland (hoping the weather to be good on at least one of these days) 😛

Thanks & Regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 August 2015 at 22:30:07 #845781

<<“Planning to visit Switzerland in third week of Sep’15. We are planning to do excursion to Titlis and Jungfrau..from Lucerne (base location)”>>

The Jungfrau is a long ride from Luzern (Lucerne). Check out the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

One way – 4 hrs 17 minutes, once per hour. Bad weather? No view from up there. Good weather – stunning views.

With a short trip, it might be better to focus on closer objectives. Either base in the Jungfrau region, or enjoy the variety available at Luzern. Predicting the weather up there at the Jungfrau while you are in Luzern is possible, but problematic. Better to be nearby.

That’s what I would consider.

Slowpoke.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2015 at 4:56:53 #845782

Hello Slowpoke…

Thanks for your inputs on the distance of Jungfrau from Luzern…Have already factored that in….Have a flexible pass which allows us to board the Jungfrau excursion on any of the 8 days we are visiting…

So Will check the weather from Luzern and if it turns out to be bad, then have a plan B to spend time in Lauterbrunnen valley, etc..In case of good weather will plan to ascend the Jungfrau…

Can you please comment on my query of best day or time in the day to visit these places to avoid heavy crowds???? Would appreciate your inputs on the same….

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 August 2015 at 6:03:35 #845783

<<“Thanks for your inputs on the distance of Jungfrau from Luzern…Havealready factored that in….Have a flexible pass which allows us toboard the Jungfrau excursion on any of the 8 days we are visiting…SoWill check the weather from Luzern and if it turns out to be bad, thenhave a plan B to spend time in Lauterbrunnen valley, etc..In case ofgood weather will plan to ascend the Jungfrau…”>>

Well thought out. I missed your plan to select a good day out of 8 available. The best way to check the weather is on the cameras at the train stations in Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen, etc.

If you have a good solid clear day, you are fine from Luzern. If it is variable, it is better to be right there when making your judgement.

We came over from Morschach on the day I took this picture – September 22, 2009….the whole day was glorious.<<“Can you pleasecomment on my query of best day or time in the day to visit these placesto avoid heavy crowds???? Would appreciate your inputs on the same….”>>

I can – clouds tend to come in as the day progresses. AM is better, on average. I suggest the 0456 train from Luzern, arriving at Jungfraujoch at 0952.. The 0605 would work, also.

In mid-September the crowds will have thinned out….Arno and Annika have more experience on that point than I do, but I’d not worry about crowds on a week day. So, if the weather is really good, you can most likely go up anytime during the day on a weekday.

• The thread ‘When to visit Jungfrau & Titlis – avoid the crowds’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.