Where do we board Glacier Express in Chur?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2016 at 7:27:08 #809011

Hello,

We will be riding the Glacier Express from Chur to Zermatt in July and I was wondering if the train leaves from Chur HBF. How much time should I allow for taxi trip from Hotel Ibis to station?

Thanks,

Joe

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 April 2016 at 9:00:29 #851220

Hi Joe :

Here is part of the answer, by means of a screen grab from the timetable for random day in July.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

On July 7 the 11:26 departure is from Track 10, sections C and D in the main station.

For the taxi ride, your hotel might have that information on their web site.

Otherwise, here is a link to a map.

map.search.ch/Hotel-ibis-Chur,Chur,Richtstr.19?poi=hotel,verkehr&x=80 1m&y=683m&z=128

You can turn the icons on and off using the menus

The station is about 1.5 km from the Ibis.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2016 at 18:17:47 #851221

Hello Slowpoke,

Thanks for the reply. I was confused because when I enter my travel date 19.7 the timetable shows no platform number. Must not be finalized yet. I just wanted to be sure it was leaving from the Chur main station.

Thanks again,

Joe

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2016 at 6:10:24 #851222

>> I was confused because when I enter my travel date 19.7 the timetable shows no platform number. Must not be finalized yet. I just wanted to be sure it was leaving from the Chur main station.

Hi Joe,

You can confirm which station the train is leaving from by using the map integrated with the SBB Timetable.

Once you have used the “+” sign to expand the details of your chosen connection, you will see a “Map” button. Clicking on that will get you a map of the whole route. At the top left hand side of the map is a “Start” button. If you click on that and zoom in, you will see the starting point in the context of surrounding streets etc.

Hope this helps.

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 April 2016 at 10:41:11 #851223

Hi Alpenrose –

Terrific.

Every time you post something I learn something more.

😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2016 at 3:10:04 #851224

I’ve learnt a lot on this forum myself, so I’m glad to be able to make a useful contribution in return. Just wish I had found this forum before my previous four trips!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 April 2016 at 12:06:56 #851225

Hi Alpenrose –

I have friend who is a pilot for Delta and who has worked in their operations department. When I Switzerland with me, he has been impressed by how well the rail network in Switzerland is managed.

I could not wait to show him the “Start-Route-Ziel” options on the map. He was as impressed and pleased with the concept as I am. I have to say that that feature, though I had not seen it before, does not surprise me. Very Swiss in a combination of efficient design and provide customer oriented travel organization.

Have you found the animated real-time train map, the so-called live timetable? It shows the positions of the trains moving along the routes. Originally it was calculated from the official timetable entries. Now, I note that it corrects for know delays:

fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/qu ery.exe/en?view=map&SetGlobalOpti onGO_callMapFromPositi on=mapQuery&ChooseFrom Map=yes&

It used to be a program developed by an individual, and apparently it is now run by the SBB.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Where do we board Glacier Express in Chur?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.