Where in Switzerland would you get married?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2016 at 8:46:41 #808723

Hello everyone.

I have been lurking the site for as much information as I could gather. My fiance and I got engaged two weeks ago and have decided on a destination wedding in Switzerland, and spend 2 weeks roaming the country for our honeymoon.

It has always been my number one place to visit in the workd since I was a little girl but the actuality of having to pick one place has been difficult.

I do want a beautiful church wedding. there will be 20 guests. i dont need anything fancy just want to be able to incorporate the best or switzerland into the day..

I have explored Luceren, Montreux, Interlaken (spiez) and Zermatt.

We are hoping for july/aug/sep of 2017

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 March 2016 at 22:12:14 #849883

Off the beaten path-

Ligerz

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/ligerz-church.html

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 March 2016 at 7:55:29 #849884

Congratulations on your engagement! I would skip Interlaken. It’s a practical centrally located town but not very romantic. The 1000 year old church on the lake in Spiez is a wonderful place.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2016 at 22:18:24 #849885

Congratulations on your engagement.

Slowpoke had good idea to send you some photos of the Church at Ligerz so I thought I would browse my photo collection to see what I could come up with and found quite a lot so will need to send in multiple posts!! We stay in the Bernese Oberland so most are near there.

This first batch has pictures of the church in Brienz which is in a lovely location above the lake. Brienz is a famous wood-carving centre so as you might expect there are beautiful examples of that carving inside.

I have also posted a picture of the church at Hilterfingen, We used to stay at the Hotel Bellevue au Lac and they frequently had wedding receptions there and from our room we watched them taking photos on their landing stage with the beautiful backdrop of the lake and mountains. The hotel changed hands a few times rather unsuccessfully but is now back under the care of one of the really good managers and is doing well again. I have included a picture of the hotel with the church just behind it up the hill.

More to follow

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2016 at 22:30:26 #849886

Arno mentioned Spiez so here are 2 photos of the church there.

I have also attached 2 photos of a tiny church in Schadau which is an arboretum in Thun – the castle Schloss Schadau is now a restaurant which could be a good place for a reception meal – it has a good reputation. The church is tiny but big enough for a small intimate wedding and again photo opportunities are great.

Rather out of the way is a nice little church at Sigriswil up on a hill above Lake Thun.

Also near Thun is a small place called Wimmis which has a pretty church with lovely interior so I have added that to this post.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2016 at 22:35:51 #849887

This batch includes 2 different churches in Meiringen – the first a Methodist Church and the second is unusual because the tower is a separate building from the main church.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2016 at 22:43:16 #849888

This final small batch has 2 photos of the church at Fluelen on Lake Lucerne and 2 different churches in Kandersteg.

I assume you have made enquiries about all the legal stuff about getting married in a country which is not your country of residence? I don’t know what the rules are in Switzerland about residency. Of course you could have a low-key registry office wedding in UK and have your marriage blessed in a church ceremony in Switzerland if there are legal problems.

I wish you well and much fun making all your decisions and plans and hope both wedding and honeymoon are wonderful.

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 March 2016 at 22:48:00 #849889

Maggie-

Nice pictures.

Your example of providing interiors is helpful.

I know that I have some of interior of the church in Ligerz, so I’ll look for a few more files. It is a relatively plain interior.

No pictures at the moment, but the Church of the Madonna del Sasso above Locarno is old, Romanesque, beautifully sited, and definitely popular for weddings. I’ll hunt for some pictures from there.

Meanwhile, here is a link:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ma donnadelsasso

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2016 at 0:13:20 #849890

OMG thank you so much for the info! I was getting lost because it is so hard to find small churches and get to see the interiors.

I am off to look into all the places you suggested ~

I will keep you all updated!!!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 March 2016 at 1:10:52 #849891

In 2009 I took my granddaughter and daughter to Switzerland. We visited Riemenstalden above Sisikon on Lake Lucerne.

Here is a page from the photobook that I prepared to memorialize the trip. Due to compression, it may not show fine detail. And I masked faces of friends and granddaughter.

This one is really off the beaten path.

The road up from Sisikon is so narrow that , as we were driving up, we had to back down to a wide spot a couple of times to let cars/trucks pass going down the hill.

There is very nice inn a few meters away.

However, if your guest decide to party, I’d suggest that they not drive down that road.

Although i may be on the forum during this week, I’ll not be near my photo collection.

Images promised will come later.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2016 at 1:39:45 #849892

Hi again – glad to be of help.

Of the ones I posted I think my favourites would be Brienz because of its location, quiet but not difficult for you and your guests to get to and the beautiful carving inside. Also Schadau because of its location, easy access from Thun centre and the proximity of the restaurant which has a beautiful rose garden and of course the lake. Certainly wedding photos would be memorable. There is also a direct train to Thun from Zurich airport. You would be ideally placed to start your honeymoon in the Bernese Oberland.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2016 at 7:33:27 #849893

Hi Pincipod. Lucky you getting married in Switzerland! For my money, I’d choose the first photo Maggie sent you from Spiez. It looked so beautiful. I know the area and it is lovely/ Wouldn’t choose a church with a graveyard in front of it really!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 March 2016 at 7:50:06 #849894

Here are some photos of Kirche Ligerz. In addition to the promised photos of the interior, I have added a few to show the surroundings.

As you can see from my previous post, the alps can be visible from the church. Not up close, as in Spiez or Thun. Often lost in haze. But, they are visible enough to fit within “My Swiss Alps.;-)

There are various places near here to have a party afterward; some are very close. There is a particularly elegant one in Sugiez, several km away, at the norther tip of Lake Murten. Hotel de l’Ours

As you can tel from the names, this region is right on the German/French language borderline. The other (French) name for Ligerz is Gleresse.

The link to My Switzerland notes that a funicular runs up from the lake shore at Ligerz, with a stop at the Pilgerweg, on a level with the church and a hundred meters away.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2016 at 16:17:44 #849895

Just wow! I am eternally grateful for your help.

I love the church at Liegerz and Spiez! My fiance loves the Liegerz and Brienz church. I couldnt find any more interior photos for Brienz or any contact information online.

Weather wise, which would be less rainy and less crowded, early July vs Early September?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 March 2016 at 17:27:10 #849896

September is best. At Ligerz, it is wine makers harvest season….festivals along the lake shore.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

Barring unforeseen complications, I’ll be there in late May.

I could take some pictures if I ‘m near a place of interest.

I’ll be in Ligerz, Sugiez, Wengen and around lake Luzern, if all goes well.

Also, a few other places.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2016 at 19:34:11 #849897

I agree with Slowpoke, September will be quieter. We go mid-July to mid – August and the main tourist attractions are busy – part of reason why we go to the less well-known places if we can!

Attached some more photos of Brienz. I don’t have photos of interior of Spiez but will look through hubby’s to see if he has any!

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2016 at 20:13:23 #849898

try this link for more information about Brienz

http://www.swissvistas.com/br ienz-switzerland.html

I have attached a word document with some information I found about church in Spiez

Maggie

• The thread ‘Where in Switzerland would you get married?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.