Zermatt to Charmonix with the Swiss Rail Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2016 at 4:36:30 #808499

Advice please. May2015, will be using the last day of the Swiss Rail Pass. Propose to travel to Charmonix via Martigny from Zermatt, one way trip. What is the procedure using the Rail Pass when crossing the Swiss/French border? Is an additional ticket to be purchased and at what stage?

also considering doing a stop over in Martigny, any suggestions?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    27 February 2016 at 7:54:37 #848788

Thanks for joining us, PamAndMurray!

I assume you’re referring to the Swiss Travel Pass? If so, the journey Martigny-Chamonix will be fully covered. You won’t need additional tickets. Please refer to our Swiss Travel Pass validity page for such information.

Martigny offers several archeological sites dating from Roman times and medieval monuments. Also, there are some interesting museums, like the St. Bernard museum Barryland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2016 at 0:30:44 #848789

Hello Pam and Murray

If you get the chance to stopover in Martigny, I can recommend it.

In 2013 we spent just over half a day there and visited the St. Bernard Museum as suggested by Annika. The museum is very interesting and we enjoyed visiting the dogs who were very friendly and seemed to love the attention! It is free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

In the main square/street in Martigny there are lots of lovely pavement cafes offering a good variety of food at reasonable prices for lunch.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2016 at 20:07:35 #848790

Hello again, Pam and Murray

Thought you might like to see some photos of the dogs at St. Bernard Museum in Martigny.

The first three are typical of the adults – just being cool and laid back. Then there two posing for the camera. next one making friends with my husband while being taken for a stroll. Finally some pups having fun frolicking with each other.

Annika
    7103 posts
    29 February 2016 at 13:16:41 #848791

Hi Maggie,

Thanks a lot for posting your pictures! That’s great insiders’ info. The dogs are cute, aren’t they? It’s an interesting element of Swiss (alpine) culture.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 February 2016 at 22:29:45 #848792

Thanks for your prompt reply. It looks like the St Bernard museum is a great point of interest.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 February 2016 at 22:31:15 #848793

Hi Maggie, those pictures are just fabulous. On your recommendation, we shall certainly check out the St Bernard option. Many thanks for your help. Planning is all part of the fun.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2016 at 3:06:53 #848794

Hi

I agree planning is part of the fun. I spend hours doing it!

Check out the website in Annika’s post – it tells you how to get there as well as giving lots of information about the main museum and the dogs.

Maggie

• The thread ‘Zermatt to Charmonix with the Swiss Rail Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.