How to plan 1 day visit to Lausanne, Lavaux, Vevey

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2017 at 13:15:53 #811855

hi all!

we will be visiting switz. from june 17 to 30 and we have our STP. We are 2 adults and 2 youths. on 28th june we were planning to visit lausanne and vevey and also visit lavaux. does this seem possible in a day? if not, what should we eliminate? we had thought of pont pelerin and les pleiades while in vevey and then vevey, lausanne and lavaux. but based on the time tables that ive checked, we might end up taking about 7 hours (starting from 8 am from geneva that day) just for pelerin and pleiades. which of these 2 is better?

How much time would we need for lavaux? Also, what exactly do i search for on the sbb website timetable for lavaux?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 9:07:39 #863462

Hi Jayy123,

I think Lausanne, Vevey and the Lavaux are fine in one day from Geneva.

The Lavaux region is between Montreux and Lausanne roughly, the small village of Cully is the ‘capital’ but Lavaux is basically a region so the trains station you want depends on what you are looking to do there (Google maps may help you here for orientation).

I haven’t been to Pelerin or Pleiades so I can’t be of much help there – other members may have more details for you.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 9:56:30 #863463

Alright! Thank you Lucas!

Arno
    15479 posts
    18 May 2017 at 18:09:44 #863464

Hi Jayy123,

The actual viewing point on Mont-Pèlerin is the tower (Plein Ciel), about an hour on foot from the top station of the funicular. The view from the top station is also pretty nice but not 360°. It’s a village and you can enjoy the view in comfort from a restaurant terrace.

There’s a restaurant on Les Pléiades too but other than that it’s just meadows and forests, and a viewing point from a hill (5 minutes from the train stop). Very nice, particularly to start or end a hike there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 18:19:50 #863465

Seems like we’d have to skip mont pelerin because of the 1 hour walk :p we’ll think about les Pleiades depending on the time we have. Thank you Arno!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2017 at 4:32:18 #863466

>> How much time would we need for lavaux? Also, what exactly do i search for on the sbb website timetable for lavaux?

If you have time to do a hike, a good one is described here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lutry-epesses

If you don’t have time for a hike, there is a lovely train route through the vineyards that you can use for travelling between Lausanne and Vevey. (Thanks to Slowpoke for making me aware of this.)

I have attached a diagram showing what trains to take, and some photos taken from those trains.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2017 at 4:51:35 #863467

Wow! Thanks so much alpenrose!

• The thread ‘How to plan 1 day visit to Lausanne, Lavaux, Vevey’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.