1-day Switzerland Travel Pass purchase options

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 September 2017 at 11:05:13 #813372

Hi – my husband and I will be travelling to Switzerland next month and are keen to do travel from Zurich – Lucerne – Vitznau – Rigi Kulm – Rigi Kaltbad – Weggis – Lucerne – Zurich. Am I able to purchase the 1-day Travel Pass for this entire trip as I note there are some special fares if purchased in advance. Is this correct. Your guidance on this will be much appreciated. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 September 2017 at 12:41:43 #870281

Hi Jessonjm and welcome to MySwissAlps,

The 1 day Travel Pass would work for you yes, but you can only buy it with a valid Swiss Half Fare Card as well. Are you only planning on traveling one day while here?

Another, new option is the Saver day pass (https://www.sbb.ch/en/ travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/1-day-travelpass/saver-day-pass.html). This new pass doesn’t need a Swiss Half Fare Card but there are some restrictions on it but it could work for you.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 September 2017 at 21:06:52 #870282

Hi Lucas,

Does the Saver Day Pass work for Rigi without a Half-fare card? One of the Special Conditions says “Half-Fare travelcard customers can buy tickets at a reduced price for journeys with numerous mountain railways and connecting trains. Customers without a Half-Fare travelcard will have to pay the full price for extension tickets.”

If it works for Rigi does it work for Jungfraujoch?

Why wouldn’t anyone who needed less than an 8-day STP just buy “n” of these at CHF52?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 September 2017 at 7:04:20 #870283

HI Rockoyster,

It is a new product that I am just learning about myself. From my understanding the coverage is quite similar to the Swiss Travel Pass or GA pass for residents.

According to the map on my link above, Mt. Rigi is fully included but Mt. Titlis gets no discount (if you don’t have a half fare travelcard) and Jungfraujoch is the normal 25% off from Wengen or Grindelwald.

I think if you plan carefully and can stick to a schedule you can get some good benefits from this card. But it isn’t always available and the price fluctuates quite a bit (tomorrow it is 106chf but Oct. 10 it is 52chf).

So if you wait until weather is looking good on Jungfraujoch (say for 1 day ahead) you pay 106chf plus the ticket for 25% off the rate to Jungfraujoch (about 140chf I believe) so not a good option there.

But for people not planning too many mountain trips or just 1 or 2 days in Switzerland (especially in areas like Zurich where there is no regional card) it could be a great deal.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 September 2017 at 8:07:14 #870284

Hi Lucas,

The reason I asked about Junfraujoch was that from the map you linked to it looked like you got 50% off. The is no ① notation on the map like there is on the Swiss Travel Pass map. Is the 1-day pass even available to other than Swiss residents?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 September 2017 at 9:41:35 #870285

Yes, this new saver day pass would be available to tourists as you don’t need the half fare travel card (like you do on the original 1 day pass).

You’re right I think, Jungfraujoch would only be 50% off if you have the Half Fare Travel Card or Swiss Half Fare Card along with either the 1 day travel pass or the new saver day pass.

As you noted: “Customers without a Half-Fare travelcard will have to pay the full price for extension tickets.” So if you have only the saver day pass you would be the full rate beyond Wengen/Grindelwald.

It is always fun deciphering new rail passes with SBB. 🙂

Seeing as how there are less restrictions on buying the Swiss Travel Pass and you get a few extras on it like free museum entrances, cable car discounts, and a free Swiss Family Card it will probably be the best bet for most people except on short stays or for long day trips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 September 2017 at 12:08:51 #870286

Thanks Lucas for your prompt reply. We are planning to travel to Rhine falls as well and then do some local touristy things in Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2017 at 6:34:12 #870287

If you only have two days of travel then this new saver day pass may work for you – but it will depend on the purchase price you can get it for.

You can only buy it for travel dates within 30 days and the closer to travel you buy it the more expensive it is. Assuming you are not traveling within the week I bet it would be a good idea for the day you go to Rigi (and anywhere else that day).

For the Rhinefall it may or may not be cheaper than just buying a point to point ticket (Zurich main station to Neuhasen Rheinfall or Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall stops).

Check the timetable here for prices on regular trips (the price you see on the timetable is the 1/2 fare price so click on the price and select no discount card on the next screen to find the regular price).

Lucas

• The thread ‘1-day Switzerland Travel Pass purchase options’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.