2 base towns for 1 week in Switzerland late July

2 base towns for 1 week in Switzerland late July

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
khetank
khetank
12 posts
Apr 19, 2018 - 5:36 PM

We r planning to visit Switzerland and Paris from July 26th to Aug 4th. We will land in Zurich on July 26th. Planning to go to Paris the same day, stay there for 2 nights and then take train from Paris to Geneva on July 28th. In Switzerland we want to cover Geneva, Montreaux, Zermatt, Interlaken, Lucern and fly back from Zurich. We want to make base at only two places. Can you help us to choose the two best possible base to cover the above 6 cities ? Should we stay at Montreaux and cover Geneva, Montreaux and Zermatt and then shift to Lucern and then do Interlaken, Lucern and Zurich from there ? Is this doable ?? I heard staying at Montreaux is very costly compared to Lucern/Interlaken, is it true ?

Please help.

Thanks.

Lucas
Lucas
5516 posts
expert &
Apr 19, 2018 - 7:31 PM in reply to khetank

Hi Khetank and welcome to MySwissAlps1

Yes, those indeed would be the optimal base towns for you I think: Montreux and Lucerne. I don't believe Montreux is any more expensive than Lucerne or Interlaken, no. All towns have hotels at different budgets. Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan the trips between towns and any mountains you are going to visit.

Have a look at our suggestions here:

1960man
1960man
165 posts
Apr 20, 2018 - 12:08 AM

Instead of Montreux, think about staying at a smaller place such as Aigle, or a less touristy place such as St Maurice or Martigny. You can reach Geneva and Zermatt from these two places - indeed anywhere along the Genève - Brig railway line.

Further east, a less touristy place with great rail services for ease of getting to anywhere you want in a day would be somewhere like Olten

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018