1 week Swiss holiday in May with car and train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2017 at 18:09:25 #811322

Hi,

I and my girlfriend will be at Switzerland from 13th to 20th May and our plane will be at Zurich before afternoon of 13th May.

We are certainly keen to travel by famous trains of Switzerland at least 2-3 days. But we also want to travel by car and so stop at every point where we want to. The places we want to see through this 7 days are ; Interlaken-Luzern-Grindelwald-Lauterbrunnen area, Locarno-Lugano area, Zermatt-Matterhorn, Jungfraujoch, Montreu-Lausanne and Bern.

We have looked for several times and what we understood is glacier express, golden pass seem more suitable for us? But we could not manage how to do it.. We want to make a 2-3 day train journey first and then rent a car or vice versa.

If you can give some recommendations for especially trains it would be great for us..

Best regards.

Mert

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2017 at 0:49:56 #861143

Here is a map of the scenic train routes in Switzerland. It might help you see what route/s might suit your itinerary. (The Wilhelm Tell Express is now called the Gotthard Panorama Express.)

http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam /sbb/en/pdf/en_bahnhof -services/en_am-bahnhof/en_unsere-bahnhoefe/panoramic-routes.pdf

Alpenrose

Annika
    7124 posts
    9 April 2017 at 15:09:14 #861144

Hi Mert!

You seem to be wanting to cover many in just one week. Mind that you’ll be spending lots of time on traveling in such an itinerary, rather than getting out and doing local sightseeing. If seeing many towns is what you prefer that’s perfectly fine of course, but if you’re hesitant you could pick two or three base towns/regions instead and explore those a bit.

Car traveling isn’t necessarily ideal when traveling in the Alps. Please compare for yourself through myswissalps.com/carver sustrain. If you first want to make some scenic train journeys, I suggest you start off in Lucerne and take the Golden Pass train to Interlaken: myswissalps.com/golden pass. You could spend some nights there and explore the Jungfrau region: myswissalps.com/jungfr auregion. Other items on your wish list are doable as day trips from Interlaken as well, e.g.:

• a day trip further south with the Golden Pass
    • a city visit to Bern
    • a day trip to Zermatt and/or part of the Glacier Express, as explained under “Don’t have time to do the full route?” at myswissalps.com/glacie rexpress.

After this you possibly still want to visit Montreux/Lausanne and Locarno/Lugano. I doubt whether it’s easy to access these cities by car, but that’s up to you.

I hope this helps you to get started.

Annika
    7124 posts
    9 April 2017 at 15:09:39 #861145

Thanks for sharing this convenient map, Alpenrose!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2017 at 16:54:39 #861146

Thank you very much both alpenrose666 and annika

yes annika it is just the case you mentioned ; we want to see as many places as possible 🙂

but you are right also..indeed the main routes are the routes that you told..so we need to focus a bit kore and gwt started..

A question is it possible to rent a car for the locarne ligano frim the placda like luzern or interlaken or should we rent from zurich and leave the car before train journeys?

best regards.

mert

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 April 2017 at 17:44:58 #861147

Hi Mert,

I have trouble understanding your question. Can you check the spelling please? Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2017 at 18:19:06 #861148

Ooh sorry..i have trouble with the screen..

i had just asked that is it easy to rent a car at luzern or lnterlaken like zurich?or is it better to rent at zurich?

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 April 2017 at 18:28:15 #861149

No problem! Sure, you can rent a car in Luzern or Interlaken too. Sometimes it’s a bit harder during weekends. You can check the car rental websites for options.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2017 at 6:03:56 #861150

Glad you think it’s useful!

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘1 week Swiss holiday in May with car and train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.