10-day Dec trip: Lucerne, Wengen, Chur, Milan

• CPMP2022
    Participant
    8 posts
    14 June 2022 at 5:52:09 #827495

Hi,

I’ve found this site so helpful in planning our upcoming winter trip and would love some feedback on my current plan – have I made any silly mistakes, any glaring pitfalls etc. Our main goals are to do a couple of scenic train trips and see some beautiful village and mountain views, and hopefully do some snow activities.

My husband and I will get the Swiss Travel Pass for 15 days – we prefer flexibility and ease of use over saving a little money. I’ve calculated all the options and think this is our favoured option. We’ll be travelling by public transport and with backpacks only. We’re coming to Switzerland from 3 weeks in France/Germany.

Dec 11 – Travel

Stuttgart to Lucerne via Zurich. If weather good can stop in Zurich for a few hours, wander around Old Town, Xmas markets in train station, maybe fondue for dinner at Frau Gerald’s Garten. Sunday so things maybe closed. Overnight Lucerne for 3 nights.

Dec 12/Dec 13 – Lucerne

Options – Mt Rigi, day trip to Basel for Xmas markets if bad weather, Glacier Garden, Zurich day trip if didn’t stop on way down, maybe train to Fluelen and boat back to Lucerne. Eat raclette.

Dec 14 – Travel

Lucerne to Wengen, maybe train to Thun, boat back to Interlaken. Overnight Wengen for 5 nights.

Dec 15/Dec 16/Dec 17/Dec 18 – Wengen

Hopefully good weather and enough snow to do some winter hikes, will rent clothing & sledge for the duration and go sledging a few times, maybe snow shoeing. Will get Hiking & Sledging pass for 3-4 days to save money as we hope to do quite a few sledging/hiking runs, depending on weather/forecast. Hopefully get clear days for Jungfrau & Schilthorn. Bad weather options – Bern day trip, Lake Thun boat trip, maybe waterfalls in the rain, Sherlock Holmes Museum. If weather really bad consider finding somewhere with better weather for a night or two.

Dec 19 – Travel

To Chur – early start 6.45am Wengen to Brig via Spiez on regio-express Lotschberger tunnel/scenic train.

Brig – Chur on Glacier Express – could leave later from Wengen and travel on regular trains rather then Glacier Express if don’t want to start so early. Arrive Chur around 2.30pm. Overnight in Chur.

Dec 20 – Travel

To Tirano on Bernina Express, train Tirano to Milan, arrive Milan around 4pm. Overnight in Milan.

Dec 21 – fly back to Australia – depart 12.40pm.

I’d love any feedback!

CP

• The thread ‘10-day Dec trip: Lucerne, Wengen, Chur, Milan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.