10 day holiday in Switzerland – trip plan help!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2018 at 15:57:06 #814454

Hushand and I will be traveling to Switzerland with a 6yr and a 8yr.

We will arrive into Zurich on 11June and begin our 10 nights holiday. Departing from Zurich on 21June.

• Cities we are keen on visiting are Zurich 2nights, Interlaken 3nights, Zermatt 2nights, and thinking of Geneva if that’s possible. Any suggestions on the itinerary?
    • Also, we need to include activities for the kids
    • Possible to get 8days Swiss Pass instead of 15days pass? Is the 8days Flexi pass a better choice?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2018 at 16:50:25 #876942

Hi Juzju and welcome to MySwissAlps!

What are your main objectives on this trip? Are you looking for larger, city experiences (shopping, restaurants etc) or mountain trips?

If it is the latter I would spend as little time as needed in Zurich and Geneva. Focus on Luzern, Zermatt and Interlaken (even better than Interlaken is a town like Wengen or one of the other alpine villages in the Jungfrau region noted here).

For ideas on what to do in Switzerland click here & for where to go click here.

I’d probably look at the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass over the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass Flex.

To know for sure, the best rail pass for your trips, you’ll need to create your entire itinerary with all your trip plans and compare tickets/passes to know for sure. Check out our page here: How to choose the best rail pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2018 at 23:06:44 #876943

Hi Lucas, thanks for the reply and warm welcome.

We look forward to experiencing the scenic train rides and that will probably entertain the kids a bit. It’s our first trip to Switzerland and as much as we are excited, we wouldn’t want to be in a race, quite impossible with the kids in tow. Nice apartments overlooking the mountains type of holiday.

With 10 nights at hand, I’m hesitating, going back and forth with the different routes. I’m thinking, upon arrival train to Interlaken 3nights, to Zermatt 2nights, up to Berne perhaps for 2nights, Lucerne 2nights, Zurich 1night and off the next day.

Comments please. Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 8:17:25 #876944

Yes, those are all nice towns with lots of activities nearby.

I’d probably arrange it like this after arriving in Zurich: ZermattInterlakenBernLucerne back to Zurich. I’ve linked our activity pages for each town above to get you an idea of what there is you can do there. The kids will love the Swiss Museum of Transport in Lucerne and the Ballenberg open-air museum just outside Brienz.

You’ll find most people here aren’t too excited by the thought of staying at Interlaken though. It is a great town for rail connections and access to nearby Lake Brienz and Lake Thun (Thun is a very nice town as well). But for mountain scenery have a hard look at Wengen, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen or Mürren. All close enough to Interlaken to make them a viable alternative.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2018 at 12:52:28 #876945

Hi Lucas, thanks again for the reply.

I’ve been working on the itinerary and here goes.

Day 1 Train from Zurich Airport to Lucerne. Explore city

Day 2 Lucerne – Engelberg Mount Titlis. May visit Mount Rigi or Mount Pilatus thereafter

Day 3 Lucerne – Berne – Lucerne

Day 4 Lucerne – Wengen. Explore town and relax

Day 5 Wengen – Jungfraujoch

Day 6 Wengen – Explore Interlaken, go on Lake Brienz or Lake Thun cruise

Day 7 Wengen. Rest and relax

Day 8 Wengen / Zermatt. Explore town and relax

Day 9 Zermatt – Gornergrat

Day 10 Zermatt – Zurich

Day 11 Depart for home

I was going back and forth with the itinerary, with the interest of including the scenic train from Zermatt to St Moritz. It’s a long train ride and I’m uncertain if the kids will take it well. Hence, I’ll give it a miss for now. One good reason to revisit Switzerland.

We are still deciding which rail pass to get. Perhaps the flexi 8day instead of the Swiss rail pass. Both are similar besides one being consecutive and the other non-consecutive. Other conditions seemed to be similar.

Do share with me your views and suggestions.

Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2018 at 16:39:41 #876946

Hi Juzju,

Looks great. I agree the kids may or may not like an 8 hour train ride! Indeed a good reason to come back. 🙂

The 15 day Swiss Travel Pass is not much more than an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass Flex– so it has more value to you I think. All days 11 days would be covered for you; which helps if your rest/relax days turn into going somewhere at the last minute.

It is only 40chf more per adult and the kids are free on everything with the free Swiss Family Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 12:10:18 #876947

Hi Lucas,

A quick question, would you recommend Montreux for 2 nights stay? We are now deciding on whether to take the Golden Pass from interlaken to Montreux and visit Gruyere for the chocolate and cheese factories.

Also, you had suggested starting our trip with Zermatt upon arrival into Zurich, is there a reason for that? I’m fine with that arrangement, but the ride is about 3.5hrs and I’m just not sure how the kids would take it after the 14hr flight. However, if there’s a good reason to reverse the itinerary, we would gladly consider doing so.

Cheers

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 12:27:44 #876948

Hi Juzju,

I think it would be a nice idea to include Montreux in your itinerary. Your kids will love the visit to the chocolate and cheese factories.

Lucas had probably in mind that it would be easier / shorter to travel from Lucerne to the airport, hence starting the trip in Zermatt. If you’re now thinking of including Montreux, it’s actually not such a bad idea to reverse your itinerary. You could travel from Lucerne directly to Zurich airport, as Lucas also suggested. This way you will save one night which you would have spent in Zurich. You can now use it for Montreux.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 13:29:12 #876949

Hi Chantal,

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, Lucus probably had that in mind and it is a good suggestion, especially the part about having an extra night which I could use for Montreux.

Thanks again, you guys have been a great help.

Cheers, juliana

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 14:46:38 #876950

You’re welcome Juliana.

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 18:53:07 #876951

Hi Juzju,

Sounds like a fun trip! My husband and I just took our son through Zurich & Murren. I actually just wrote a blog post that has details on our travel (things to do/getting around/eating/etc.) — may prove to be helpful to you!

http://www.thelush.us/traveli ng-to-switzerland-zurich-murren/

Have a wonderful time!

Lauren

• The thread ‘10 day holiday in Switzerland – trip plan help!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.