10 day itinerary first of May 2017-next step

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2017 at 5:44:14 #810849

WeeThis is

Day 1: Arrive in Basel – Half day in Basel, overnight Basel

Day 2: Train to Montreux from Basel – Chateau de Chillon and walk the Lakeside Promenade????? – Take the route along the Jura and if possible the last part by boat.

Day 3: Vineyards of Laveaux/Vevey ?????

Day 4: Train to Lauterbrunnen area, stopping at Gstaad, Glacier 3000 to spend time (1/2 day Lauterbrunnen – depends on how much time is needed for Gstaad) —- Golden Pass

Day 5: Lauterbrunnen area – Day trip

Day 6: Lauterbrunnen – Day trip (Schilthorn/Murren excursion one day)

Day 7: Lauterbrunnen area – Day trip

Day 8: Train to Luzern 1/2 day in Luzern

Day 9 Luzern area (cable car to Mount Titlis, weather permitting, maybe the Golden Route) I have copied the following links and I have not yet read/researched.

myswissalps.com/titlis

myswissalps.com/rigi

myswissalps.com/pilatu s

Day 10: Train to Zurich for morning flight

I have lodging in these areas. I know I need a rail pass for this period of time, haven’t read all I need to on that. In this thread I read about the early bird discount for rail passes. I’m a little nervous about figuring out the route and trains online, but I will start reading and getting more comfortable with that. We are also in shoulder season there, I’ve been reading to see what is closed during this time.

Please review my itinerary and offer any advice that you see is obvious.

Day 1 – Basel -Only 1/2 day but we can explore – Advice or suggestions?

Day 4 – We plan to use the baggage option to take our bags on to Lauterbrunnen. I don’t know how much time we need at Gstaad/ Glacier 3000. Even if we get to Lauterbrunnen late, I think that is okay. I have not checked the rail times yet. Advice for Gstaad?

Days 5-7 – Day trips from and around Lauterbrunnen, any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Days 8 -9 Train to Luzern (1/2 day to explore and a full day there the next day). I have looked at the Golden Route, but also read it was less expensive just to plan your own train trip. Any advice for this full day in Luzern or a better plan?

Day 10 – We will take an early morning train to Zurich to fly home.

Any details/ advice you can offer is appreciated. Thank you for your time and help! Also, I can start a new thread with this if you think that is advisable.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2017 at 9:44:36 #859153

Hi Travelplannr,

I will make a few suggestions on your itinerary…

Day 1 – for a 1/2 in Basel in would restrict myself to the city center (old town) it is quite beautiful. Take a look at our Basel page for more information.

Day 4: Montreux to Glacier 3000 to Lauterbrunnen…..long day but possible…I wouldn’t be too concerned with Gstaad…I’m not sure you would have any time to stop and see it on this day in any case.

Day 5 – 7: I would definitely look at the Jungfraujoch and/or Schilthorn for things to do. Read through the Lauterbrunnen page I linked above to see other options.

Day 8-9: I think the Golden Tour is an excellent option. You could do this on your own as well to try and save a little money. Our Mt. Pilatus page shows the route you can put together.

I think you will find the Swiss Travel Pass your best option. Also using the Swiss railways timetable here is quite straightforward to help plan your train trips.

I hope this helps with your decisions!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2017 at 23:16:59 #859154

Lucas,

Thank you, this is great information. I will follow up on you links and advice. I have just started using information on this site, and learning how to use it, thank you for directing me those particular links. And yes, good advice always helps and thank you for taking time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2017 at 7:42:17 #859155

Hi travelpannr,

Not a problem! If you have further questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2017 at 18:11:04 #859156

Hello Lucas and and in other Swiss Alp advisors!

Day 1: Arrive in Basel – Half day in Basel, overnight Basel

Day 2: Train to Lake Geneva area – Montreux – Chateau de Chillon and walk the Lakeside Promenade?????

Day 3: Vineyards of Laveaux/Vevey

Day 4: Train to Lauterbrunnen area (1/2 day Lauterbrunnen – depends on how much time is needed for Glacier 3000)

Day 5: Lauterbrunnen area

Day 6: Lauterbrunnen – Day trip Schilthorn/Murren excursion

Day 7: Lauterbrunnen area ( Wengen/ Interlaken????)

Day 8: Train to Luzern 1/2 day in Luzern

Day 9:Luzern area(cable car to Mount Titlis, weather permitting, maybe the Golden Pass)

Day 10: Train to Zurich for morning flight

Time away, but I’m back! I’m trying to refocus. My first questions, I would appreciate direction.

1. Even though we have 10 days, I believe the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass is what we need.

I’m reading, looking at maps, etc. just trying to get a feel for the logistics.

2. With the Swiss Travel pass we do not purchase tickets, just show the pass, right? I believe I need to go head and order it online???? Any opinion on the SBB phone app?

I am going through the Itinerary one segment at a time. Right now I feel good about Basel, maybe some specific questions later.

3. Montreux – Still debating. I think it will depend on weather. The long walk from Montreux through the vineyards is of interest. Possibly Chateau de Chillon. Like the idea of walking and enjoying the villages, vineyard area, maybe the wine caves. I will continue to read for details.

Swandav: I found your wonderful post about how to approach the vineyard walk, with a ferry ride to end the day. I will be reviewing that again!

4. I’ve started to get specifics for the Lauterbrunnen area. It is a good start for day trips. But I’m feeling frustrated. I have been googling and I know there are many beautiful ways to experience and see the views here.

Option1: The Schilthorn from Murren is a good thing. I’ve copied the following:

Services on the Lauterbrunnen – Grütschalp – Mürren route will not run due to maintenance work from: 1.05. – 5.05.2017 / 23.10. – 3.11.2017. Yes, we are there the first week of May.

Rick Steves says that If the cable car is closed you can take the cargo cable car from the valley floor directly to Murren, where a small bus will shuttle you down to Gimmelwald if needed. I think I could take the cable car that runs from Murren to the Schlithorn. Can someone advise or direct me to information? I’ve looked and read, but I’m not sure of what I think I know!

How we spend time in Lauterbrunnen sounds like it will be weather dependent. The maintenance schedule prohibits the Mannlichen Ridge excursion.

Option 2: We could take the cable car from Grindelwald to First, that is probably a full day?

Options 3: We could take the train to SCHYNIGE PLATTE, another full day.

Option 4: Waterfalls – suggestion: Hiking around the waterfall on local trails for the day is a must do. Choices in UNESCO World Heritage Theme Trails, this is a good list that includes the waterfall hikes.

Option 5: Trümmelbach10 glacial waterfalls drain together within mountain caverns, well-illuminated and easily accessible by lift. I’m not sure how this works with Hiking Valley of Waterfalls in Option 4.

Open from April to November, daily from 9 through to 17 h, July/August from 08.30 through 18 h.

Option 6: Maybe this should have been my first question;

I’m looking at a huge amount of information and trying to filter. Maybe some of these options can be combined on the same day. I hope with your own experiences and advice I can prioritize or at least start to filter.

I know that these days cannot be planned perfectly. I need to be flexible for the weather. But…. I don’t want to waste time when we can’t go to the top looking for and trying to decide what to do and how to do it.

I’m trying to see the possibilities. These options are all intriguing. A concern is that I can’t be high energy hiking every day, may need a low key or rainy day option in there, maybe not.

Ballenburg outdoor museum????

KUNSTMUSEUM BERN

lake cruise on Lake Brienz

If I can figure out these segments I’m pretty much there. I think Lake Luzern is decided, will need some tweaking, but for now…….

Thank you for helping me sort out the information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2017 at 18:20:47 #859157

I left out one very important question!

The Jungfraujoch – I know this would be pretty full day. I’ve been reading differing opinions on whether to do the Schilthorn AND the Jungfrau. Many say choose one and then do other things. Please offer your ideas regarding this.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2017 at 8:01:40 #859158

Hi Travelplannr!

You’ve been busy I can tell! I will answer as much as I can but some areas I don’t have personal experience, I’m sure other members do and can give their perspectives as well.

1. Itinerary looks quite appropriate and logical. Yes, I agree the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass is probably best for you. It is quite convenient – once you have purchased it online and printed it at home you just hop on any train and show the conductor the pass when requested.
      Some attractions aren’t fully covered however, like Jungfraujoch where the last section (Grindelwald or Wengen to Jungfraujoch is 25% off) so you must still buy a ticket for that route. Check the “where its valid” tab on the Swiss travel pass page for more details
    2. The SBB app is great for checking route timings and connections – well worth the free download!
      Also, check out our page on buying Sim Cards and WiFi hotspots which are quite useful.
    3. Montreux is very nice in the Spring and Summer. If it isn’t pouring out I would proceed as you planned.
    4. The Bernese Oberland is indeed a region full of attractions and towns to visit and stay in – too many perhaps! Interlaken is the best town for train connections and local amenities. Smaller towns are quite picturesque, such as, Grindelwald and Wengen however in May you are “in-between” seasons and some amenities may be closed and the area may be quite quiet.
    5. I haven’t done the hikes around Grindelwald, but our information page here lists the hike length and ETC for completion etc. which you could find helpful if you haven’t found it already.
    6. The Golden Pass line from Luzern (Luzern has many easy mountain trips nearby and other non-hiking day activities) or Interlaken to Montreux is an excellent non-hiking day activities.
      As is the boat trip on lake Brienz and the Ballenberg open-air museum (quite interesting).
    7. I would 2nd the idea that you would be happy going to Schilthorn OR Jungfraujoch and don’t really need to do both.

You simply can’t do everything in 10 days, but you seem to be well on your way to seeing a lot of the highlights on Switzerland – try not to get bogged down trying to do everything!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2017 at 4:49:36 #859159

I’m organizing the information given and per usual, it sends me off to find out more information about the information, I have not read up on the boat trip on Lake Grienz!

I’m repeating this for my own confidence. I checked Swiss Pass prices. It is the same price to order online and print or to buy when we get there. I don’t think? there is an advantage one way or the other. I guess taking care of it online, it’s done? Advise?????

The sim card and wifi hot spots are something I need to read more to understand. I’m glad to know they are beneficial.

I too hope it’s not pouring while in Montreux. If so, maybe we’ll jump on the train to Bern and check out the museums and bears! There is a plethora of things to see and enjoy and yes more than we can do, but the more I can understand, then we will have options for rainy days or plan B when things don’t go the way we thought.

I will add…..I found that Morges has a tulip festival from the end of April to May 14. I’ve read some about it. Who knows maybe there will be an obvious opportunity to enjoy the activities one day while we are in the area, if the flowers are still in beautiful bloom.

I was told that Lauterbrunnen is just a few kms from Trummelbach Falls – and will fit it in anytime we have a few spare hours- can take a bus there, a lovely walk.

Thinking about the next stop I contacted the cogwheel at Mt. Pilates this was my response: “Officially the Golden Round Trip starts on May 6th but we know more around mid or at the end of April if we can open the cogwheel railway.” I’m hoping that it will be open by that date or we may miss it.

If Golden Route is not open or weather is a factor or the fact that we just spent 4 days in the BO…….. what would you suggest? I will start looking at Luzern with more discernment today.

I was also given some good advice on the Swiss Pass. Rather than the 15 day pass and 8 day will work. We have 10 days. We don’t need it in Basel. And we will now take a late train from Luzern to Zurich (for departure) on day 10.

I think we are leaning more toward the Schilthorn and not Jungfraujoch. I think that there are many decisions that won’t be made until we are there. But I will have a great file of options with experiences and advice from all of you.

I think we have the possibility of experiencing weather across the board, a little bit of everything. Any advice for dressing. I’m thinking layering is a good idea, hiking boots and or waterproof shoes, rain jacket. I know we will have cool to cold weather depending on where we are. Is the weather generally windy this time of year??

Thank you for any thing that you can respond to or add.

Still planning!

Annika
    7104 posts
    4 March 2017 at 14:41:11 #859160

Hi travelplannr!

Here are some thoughts:

• if you won’t be traveling that much on you first/last day(s), an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass might indeed suffice (note that the Swiss Pass as you call it is an enitrely different product, meant for Swiss residents only ;-));
    • prices and purchase options are listed at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price. Yes, I’d indeed get it online and print it at home, e.g. through the Swiss railways tourist webshop, to avoid spending time on a purchase while you’re there. Print at home passes can be used immediately once you arrive in Basel;
    • yes, you could walk between the Trümmelbach Falls and Lauterbrunnen. It’s a beautiful valley walk;
    • weather wise pretty much anything can happen in early May ;-). If you’re lucky, you’ll be experiencing mild and sunny spring weather. Cooler circumstances and rain can occur too though and yes, it can be windy, especially higher up at mountain tops. Layering and being prepared for all kinds of conditions are your best bet. A water and wind proof warm jacket and solid shoes are recommended. Please find further tips at myswissalps.com/weathe r.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2017 at 0:37:27 #859161

Hello Annika! Thank you for your valuable response. When you plan the trip yourself, there are so many details. Planning is exciting but it also gives me the opportunity to start living the experience through all of you and learning about Switzerland. I appreciate the links to information, I will continue to read and discover. This would be a silly question, but maybe there is no silly question. Shoes….. we do pack very light (don’t want to carry all of those bags:) yet, this is only one leg of our trip. I keep reading about mud. We will not be doing hard core hiking trails but we do want to do gentle hikes in the Lauterbrunnen area(Murren, Gimmelwald, etc., oh and Glacier 3000). What is your opinion, hiking boots????? or will good waterproof walking shoes be okay? Where I live, if you say mud, it is a yucky, staining mud:) Thank you for your patience with this kind of question!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2017 at 8:18:17 #859162

Hi Travelplannr,

I think for your needs waterproof walking shoes should be fine. I don’t believe you will run into too much mud (depending on rainfall of course)! For your hiking preferences you will probably not need any big hiking boots and therefore I agree to pack light and make the best of it!

Lucas

• The thread ‘10 day itinerary first of May 2017-next step’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.