10 day Switzerland itinerary in August 2019

• Theng
    Participant
    4 posts
    1 July 2019 at 15:32:55 #822594

Traveling for the first time to Switzerland with my parents. As the trip was decided last month, I am kinda overwhelmed by all the information. Would appreciate some advice on my itinerary below. Thanks in advance!

8 Aug Thursday

Arrive Zurich Airport 1:30pm

15:18 Train to Grindelwald (3h) & check in to hotel

9 Aug Friday (Grindelwald hotel)

Grindelwald, Kleine Scheidig, Jungfraujoch, Grindelwald, First Cliff Walk, Lake Bachalpsee (about 2hours roundtrip), back to hotel

Optional – First Flyer, Mountain Cart and Trottibike Scooter to Grindelwald

10 Aug Saturday (Grindelwald hotel)

Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Schilthorn, Piz Gloria (optional), Thrill Walk, Gimmelwald, Stechelberg, Trummelbach (if time permits), Staubbach Falls, Lauterbrunnen, back to hotel

11 Aug Sunday (Grindelwald hotel)

Extra day to cover the above 2 trips in case of bad weather. Additional options are paragliding / interlaken / lake Brienz / Ballenberg, the open air museum

12 Aug Monday

Check out Grindelwald hotel.

Grinddelwald to Zermatt (option to go via Kandersteg?)

Check in to Panorama Ski Lodge Zermatt.

Sunnegga, Rothorn, Blauherd, hike to Stellisee

OR Glacier Paradise?

13 Aug Tuesday (Zermatt hotel)

Findelbach, Riffelalp, Riffelberg, Rotenboden, Gornergrat, Rotenboden, Riffelsee.

Walk around Zermatt city.

Dinner at Schäferstube (open to suggestions for lamb chop and/or cheese fondue) – for a birthday.

14 Aug Wednesday

Check out from Zermatt hotel and train to Zurich.

Maybe visit Bern and Lucerne on the way?

Check in to Zurich hotel (@ Opernhaus)

15 Aug Thursday (Zurich hotel)

Zurich, Basel, Colmar

16 Aug Friday (Zurich hotel)

Rhine Falls or Stanserhorn (Cabrio)

1)Is the above itinerary doable?

2)We are carrying a 29inch luggage and backpack per person. If we do not want to rush from platform to platform (and may get lost), will 10mins transfer time be enough? I am confused by all the train connections / platforms.

3)I am considering the Swiss Travel Pass or the half fare pass. At a glance of my itinerary, what would you advice?

• The thread ‘10 day Switzerland itinerary in August 2019’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.