10 day itinerary with Appenzell, Berner Oberland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2019 at 14:17:36 #820525

Hi. I am looking for guidance on a 10 day itinerary in Switzerland in April with my family (wife + 2 young kids). We land in Zurich on 18th night and depart from Zurich on 29th afternoon and thus have 10 clear days. We would be getting the Swiss Rail pass. We ideally want to go to Appenzell (1-2 days), Berner Oberland region (3 days), Montreux and the trip up to Gornergrat. If possible, it would be nice to travel a part of the Glacier Express route between Dissentis and Brig (children won’t want to be in the train for the full 8 hours) and time in Bern/Lucerne.It would be great to get suggestions on what a logical itinerary can be.Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2019 at 22:36:14 #907139

Hi SB12 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

All those destinations should be possible on your itinerary, in the order you have put them.

In order to look at times and durations of travel, you can plan using http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

I also include links to your different destinations:

Hope this helps in your planning! I am sure others will have other suggestions.

Maria.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 March 2019 at 0:34:56 #907140

<<“We would be getting the Swiss Rail pass. “>>

Which one?

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

What did you have in mind for the BO?

Mid April is the low point between seasons…some trails are closed; some tourist facilities are as well, but not all.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 1:05:52 #907141

Hi – thanks for your reply. We thought about going to Jungfrau and Lauterbrunnen and having the flexibility to of a few days to account for weather. We don’t have hiking in mind but would love the chance to be able to spend time in the region visiting the villages / view points. My concern was trying to figure out the logical route.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 March 2019 at 1:25:45 #907142

Which rail pass do you plan to have?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 1:33:07 #907143

Hi. Was thinking the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass – and decide on the flex or consecutive days version based on the itinerary that gets finalized.Cheers.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 March 2019 at 8:29:56 #907144

Hi SB12 –

The reason that I ask is because the excursion railroads in the area, including the cableways, have a different discount scheme from the mainline interurban (city/town/village) travel system.

I always look at the details, including coverage map, here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Then, I check on specific sites- such as here, for the Schilthorn:

http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/tickets

And, since I travel with the specifically named Half-Fare travel card

I don’t keep up on which of the excursions…such as the Schilthornbahn….are free with the SwissTravel Pass. It sometimes changes from year to year.

After I do all that, I ask the moderators here. 😉

However, and hoping that a moderator will refine my answer as needed, the half-fare card gives a 50 % discount on everything, while the STP (Swiss Travel Pass) only gives a 25% discount on the Jungfraujoch, and also ( Ithink) does not offer free travel on some of the cableways. Since the trip to Jungfraujocjh is an expensive trip, it could n add up to a enough difference to counterbalance the free vs. 50% discount on other services.

Since you have a lot of other travel, outside the BO, the STP may well be the overall best choice.

<<“It would be great to get suggestions on what a logical itinerary can be.”>>

There is certainly enough flexibilty available with the rail sytem, and the relatively short distances in the trip to do it in theorder noted, or others.

I start wit a circular route of some sort, while looking at this map and allowing for jet lag ( if any) on the first couple of days.

map.search.ch/

I like that map because it rally shows the rail lines very clearly once you zoom in far enough. And, the exact official names for all of the transport stops, including those in the city, are available by mousing over the icons for travel stops, which can turned on in the menu under Points of Interest(the star in a circle)/Traffic.

map.search.ch/?pos=623976,94488&z=64& poi=bergbahn,haltestel le,zug

Another order which you might consider, and which could work in either direction, is Appenzell, Bern, Berner Oberland. Montreux, Zermatt, Brig , Andermatt, Luzern, Zürich airport. I did not include Disentis in that circular route. Disentis is an hour further along the route toward Chur. You could consider retracing that section. However, that would add at least a couple of hours to the 6 hours route Zermatt-Andermatt-Luzern, which is kind of long anyway. My experience is that kids get tired of looking at scenery.

The outliers are , as you know, Disentis and Appenzell.

You could possibly break the journey at Andermatt or Disentis. And, you might skip Bern to pick up some time.

Or, make it a 15 day trip. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 8:59:40 #907145

Slowpoke- thanks for such a detailed response and the insight especially on considering the half-fare travel card. I will use the resources you have mentioned to figure out the route and what to keep/drop – it was exactly what I needed ! Thanks again – much appreciated.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 March 2019 at 9:14:21 #907146

You’ll find the timetable linked by Maria to be a necessary and extremely useful component of your travel planning.

I suspect you already know that, but, in case you are not familiar with some of the intricacies, please check out all the material on the opening page at the link that she gave.

Anyone that I have taken to the Bourbaki Panorama in Luzern….children of all ages and adults…has been fascinated.

http://www.bourbakipanorama.c h/en/

Search with Google for the name. There is a lot available, including pictures and videos.

My 8 -year old granddaughter was engaged by the Lion and spent quite a bit of time ( for an 8 year old) looking at it. I’ve attached a page form a photobook that I prepared to document our trip.

The Panorama is not far from the Lion.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 9:22:40 #907147

Got you – thanks again to you and Maria. Have a 6 and 8 year old – am sure they would find this fascinating . 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2019 at 7:06:52 #907148

hi..based on your guidance and practicality, have come up with this itinerary to have 3 bases over the 10 day period giving us flexibility in case of iffy weather for the mountain top trips.

Can I please check if it makes sense / is there anything you’d recommend to change?

1. We plan to go to Gornergratt as a day trip from Montreux.

2. We plan to go to Bern as a day trip from our base in Lauterbrunnen/Wengen or stop for a few hours on our return journey from Montreux to Zurich.

3. We will take the Golden Pass route on the Luzern-Montreux leg and the faster/less scenic route back to Zurich

4. Finding it difficult to decide between Lauterbrunnen and Wengen – any guidance would be much appreciated. We don’t plan to hike..just want to experience the region at a slow pace!

Itinerary

18th April: Zurich (late night arrival)

19th April: Luzern

20th April: Luzern

21st April: BO (stay at Lauterbrunnen or Wengen)

23rd April: BO {Lauterbrunnen/Wengen}

24th April: BO Lauterbrunnen/Wengen}

25th April: BO {Lauterbrunnen/Wengen}

26th April: Montreux

27th April: Montreux

28th April: Montreux

29th April: Montreux to Zurich

30th April: Depart Zurich (afternoon)

Thanks again for all the help!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 March 2019 at 9:01:42 #907149

Hi SB12 –

I believe that you have set up a very good plan, in no small way because you have clearly figured out the transport system for schedules and timing. Those are good bases.

The progression to Montreux at the end means that you will save the warmest place, with the greatest progress into Spring (Montreux), for the last. The Cote Lavaux to the north and west along the lake shore, with its vineyards, depends on a lot of sun for good vintages.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/wine-train-lavaux-please-advice

http://www.lavaux-panoramic.ch/home/

Lake boat schedule may be limited in April, but some will be running. The Summer season starts in mid-April, so you can likely find something that fits your schedule.

http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakegeneva/gettingth ere

http://www.cgn.ch/en/our-cruises.html?departure_stations=Mon treux

One possible misunderstanding on my part –

<<“3. We will take the Golden Pass route on the Luzern-Montreux leg and the faster/less scenic route back to Zurich”>>

While technically correct, you will ride the Golden Pass routes in two segments – one from Luzern to the BO, one for the BO to Montreux. And, the scenery on the faster route back to Zürich is still quite nice.

Wengen vs. Lauterbrunnen:

You surely have looked in this link:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

because it is a link under the BO link that Maria provided.

I’m not a fan of the region in April, because I like to get on some of the higher trails. That influences me to stay in Wengen when I do stay, but then I count on the cableway links up to Männlichen and down to Grindewald, which will not be available in April. But, since you are clear on your wishes for the region, this little bit of light reading can be considered in your spare time:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

I understand that it is being updated currently, but it will still be very useful.

From a scenic and general environmental perspective, there is no doubt in my mind that the more alpine nature of Wengen is a much better experience than Lauterbrunnen.

Certainly, as a travel base, particularly to the region out side the valley, Lauterbrunnen will save time. Since you are not rushing to tick off as many “name” locations as possible every day, the 17 minute cograil ride between Wengen and Lauterbrunnen, twice per hour from 0540 until 2203, will provide good access as you go up and down that stretch.

Although I like to stay at the Bellevue in Wengen – for many reasons, including the way the hotel is managed and organized, as well as reasonable costs,and especially the views considered by many to be the best in Wengen – it is about a 10 minute walk from the station. Frau Graf Engi or staff will pick you up and take you back to/from the station with your luggage, but should not be counted on to provide a personal taxi service. Remember that in Switzerland, walking is considered a legitimate mode of public transportation. 😉

However, you will recognize their small cart making frequent trips on the road to/from the station if you see it, and if they have space, you can hop on it. Still, you might find it more convenient to stay closer to the station.But, you are not in a hurry.

Lauterbrunnen is certainly not a bad place to stay. And the extra warmth at lower altitude ( counterbalanced by the steep valley walls which restrict sunlight somewhat at sunrise and sunset) ) will possibly mean that the valley floor is almost snow free by that time.

And, you can certainly ride up to Wengen to walk around.

It is a tough choice, but there is no bad choice.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2019 at 9:14:46 #907150

Thank you Slowpoke for your comments and the links to Kim’s indepth articles – will surely go through these. I will use the excel sheet provided on the site for figuring out the appropriate rail pass to buy.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 March 2019 at 9:44:10 #907151

<<“19th April: Luzern

20th April: Luzern”>>

You will just make the first day of the Spring season for the lake boats.

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

There are several routes and options for getting on or off at different villages., many with bus or train connections for land travel.

At that time of year, you might see the parade of cows returning to alpine pastures around the lake.

I can recommend a leisurely 3 to 4 hour boat ride from Flüelen to Luzern. Flüelen is reached by train from Luzern on a pleasant ride. Among other places, the boat returning to Luzern stops at Vitznau, with a good connection to a cograil train up to the top of the Rigi. Partway up from Vitznau is Rigi-Kaltbad, which can have some nice views out over the lake.

On a nice spring day, we often would get off at Beckenried, have lunch

at a lakeside restaurant, then pick up another lake boat onward to

Luzern or to Brunnen for the train.

The southern par t of the lake is named der Urnersee, after Canton Uri. All parts of the the whole lake give a very nice scenic ride , with a meal onboard if you wish. But, I personally consider the stretch of the Urnersee from Flüelen to Brunnen to be the most striking.

This thread, although focused on a hike around that region, offers some good images:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

Some boat routes from Luzern stop at Alpnachstad, for the cograil up to the top of Pilatus. The cograil may not yet be running in April.

http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2019 at 2:38:06 #907152

Thank you Slowpoke.

• The thread ‘10 day itinerary with Appenzell, Berner Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.