10 day Swiss train trip tour, fabulous + thanks

• Tom24601
    Participant
    11 posts
    14 June 2018 at 12:09:43 #816643

Wife and I came from Chicago for a 10 day Swiss tour via train May 29-June 8 , which we arranged ourselves – with great help from this forum . Thanks Lucas , Alpenrose , others I may be overlooking !

We were in Luzern two nights, Mürren two nights, Montreux two nights, Zermatt one night, St. Moritz two nights , and Zurich one night . We left a few extra days on the table re 1st class 15 day Swiss Travel Pass, but found the pass terrific . Carried extra hard copy , but even via iphone it satisfied conductors .

As a moderator may recall , I was edgy on eve of trip re 10 day “bad weather “ forecast for each day – weather was great. I feel pretty sure there is something about these forecasts that gives a misleading impression .

Traveller’s wifi gadget worked like a charm and was perhaps better than Matterhorn ! The SBB official Swiss train app was fun- I’ll miss fooling with it .

Wife with limited hiking interest/ ability… loved downhill stroll Murren to Gimmelwald for a Swiss dark beer , Schwarze Monche . With easy cable return.

Trip MVP – the Swiss gentleman on our way ( during one of various connections ) from Interlaken to Murren . Alerted us that no , we might think so , but we were not headed to Murren , but to Grindelwald because of some train decoupling issue . So at next stop we got off and boarded the appropriate car !

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 17:57:24 #888277

Sounds like a great trip Tom – glad to hear all went well!

The weather is crazy in the mountains here. No reason to even look at the forecast until the day before. 🙂

Prost to dark beer!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2018 at 6:48:23 #888278

Hi Tom,

>> Trip MVP – the Swiss gentleman on our way ( during one of various connections ) from Interlaken to Murren . Alerted us that no , we might think so , but we were not headed to Murren , but to Grindelwald because of some train decoupling issue . So at next stop we got off and boarded the appropriate car !

Glad you had a great trip!

For anyone else reading about your mishap in being in the wrong half of the train, the following info might be useful:

• The train from Interlaken Ost to the Jungfrau Region is usually split at Zweilütschinen, with one half continuing to Lauterbrunnen (where you change for the train up to Wengen), and the other half proceeding to Grindelwald.
    • So you have to make sure you get into the correct end of the train at Interlaken Ost.
    • Carriages bound for Lauterbrunnen are usually at Sector A of Platform 2; those for Grindelwald are usually at Sector B of Platform 2. The platform sectors are denoted by square blue-and-white overhead signs along the platform.
    • The destination (Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen) is also clearly marked on each carriage near the doors, and there are staff to direct you.

However, this is clearly not foolproof 😉 It was nice of the Swiss guy to alert you to the fact that you were in the wrong half of the train – they probably see this on a regular basis.

I have also found myself in the wrong half of a train on a couple of occasions. On one occasion I was able to change carriages before the train split, after they made an announcement over the PA; on the other occasion … well, I got to see some pleasant countryside I wasn’t expecting to see!

Alpenrose

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    16 June 2018 at 6:57:57 #888279

Thanks Tom24601 – I am also a “wife with limited hiking interest/ ability” and I was interested in your report of the ‘stroll’ between Murren and Gimmelwald. We will have a week in that area and I will add it to my list of ‘things I might like to do’!

Alpenrose666 – thx for expanding on Tom’s experience with the split train. We will spend a week in Wengen and probably use the route between Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen a few times – I had no idea this was something I needed to be aware of!

I have made a page for it my One Note “Swiss notebook” in the Wengen section (the best app ever for planning a trip, keeping all your notes, bookings and general advice in one spot – and being able to share it with fellow travelers.)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 14:11:02 #888280

Thanks Tom,

About how many hours did you walk downhill from Murren to Gimmelwald? (am interested in easy hiking routes too).

Best regards,

May

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 14:23:56 #888281

Much thanks Alpenrose. Useful info! Have screenshot this page to my “Grindelwald” album for reference.

By May

Tom24601
    Participant
    11 posts
    21 June 2018 at 14:29:30 #888282

Only took us about 45 minutes, several places to stop and enjoy the setting . We took the cable car back up to Murren , but you could take it down further .

Have a great trip .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 4:03:53 #888283

Hi May,

Glad you found that info useful! Enjoy your trip!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 11:09:32 #888284

Hi May ..Did the trek (more like a gentle walk) downhill from Murren to Gimmelwald in about 30 mins ..Noticed a number of families with small kids also walking down ..may take an hour on the outside . It is a nice walk with some flower beds on one side and the valle view on the other …Serious trekkers prefer the “upslope” from Gimmelwald to Murren .

• The thread ‘10 day Swiss train trip tour, fabulous + thanks’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.