10 day trip Zurich and Geneva as bases

• milredroyan
    Participant
    21 posts
    15 February 2017 at 12:23:58 #810820

Hi

We(My Husband, I and my 11 year old son) are planning a trip from 12th to 21st of May. our base would be Zurich – 12th to 17th and Geneva 17th to 21st. We have booked two tours from Viator.com on the 14th – Jungfrau and Bernese Oberland. 16th Mt Pilatus which covers Lucerne as well. we were planning to do Bern, Basel our own on the 13th. Zurich and sorrounding(need suggestions pl) for 15h.

17th we arrive in Geneva. Will do geneva on 17th. No clue what to do here. Viator has chamonix and mt blanc full day trip, then there is gruyeres with cheese and choclate tasting and golden panoramic. Very expensive trips plus very hectic. Any suggestions here.

Request suggestions for both zuric and geneva.

Thanks much

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2017 at 16:59:07 #859039

Hi Milredroyanm

Take a look at our Zurich information page for ideas of what to do in the town and the surrounding area on the 15th. It really depends on what you want to see and do.

As for Geneva you have listed some of the top ideas in the area already but it looks like they are out of your budget? Our Geneva page does talk about those tours you mentioned and a few other activities in the area that might interest you.

Is there a reason you chose Geneva as your base?

Lucas

milredroyan
    Participant
    21 posts
    16 February 2017 at 6:41:23 #859040

Hi Lucas

Thanks for your revert. Not the question of budget. But if the same can be done without tours will that work out cheaper. For eg: That Chamonix Mt Blanc trip that i mentioned. They also have a drop off to Chamonix. If i take that, is it easy to do the rest on our own? Secondly i wil be buying a swiss travel pass as well. So can use that also. Hence the confusion. Should i book the tours or do it on my own.

Also i had a doubt. Can the travel pass be used to do boat trip around geneva and geneva to montreux etc? Does it need a reservation with the pass or is it straight forward? Have many more questions. Hope thats ok. Chose zurich geneva because thats where we land and take off. Dint want to keep travelling. Hence kept only 2 places as base. Booked accomodation through Airbnb. Got a good price and the difference between these two to the other cheaper places was not much at all. There were good tours from these places, hence decided:)

Regards

Arno
    15481 posts
    16 February 2017 at 7:59:26 #859041

Hi Milredroyan,

Chamonix is in France and I don’t have any personal experience with it. Having said that, as far as I know all places you might want to see in Chamonix are at close together and easy to reach, so doing this on your own is no problem at all. Most people do cable car and train trips on their own. For a transfer from Geneva to Chamonix and back, please see http://www.viator.com/tours/G eneva/Independent-Chamonix-and-Mont-Blanc-Tour-from-Geneva/d578-2510KT01.

Please see the Swiss Travel Pass page and particularly the “Where it’s valid” tab for what’s included. Be sure to download the coverage map from there as well.

Just a note that Geneva and Zurich are both not in the Alps, so day trips to the Alps will take longer. Montreux and Lucerne are closer to the mountains, and easy to reach from the airports.

milredroyan
    Participant
    21 posts
    16 February 2017 at 11:26:19 #859042

Hi Arno

Where its valid tab is extremely useful and has almost all the info i needed.Thank you so much for that. i can now plan nd decide if i should do it on my or or tour. Now i understand how Motreux and Lucerne are better than zurich and geneva. But guess its a bit late now. Will have to travel using the rail pass and reach these places and then do the rest.

I had a question, if i have done Jungfrau, can i skip Mont blanc or is it a must see? Your thoughts please.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2017 at 8:45:51 #859043

Hi Milredroyan,

Both sites are quite spectacular and unique.

I might try and do both if time allows. The problem sometimes is that weather can wreck havoc on what you see…so if you see Jungfraujoch but due to weather don’t enjoy Mont Blanc (or vice versa) at least you saw one!

Lucas

• The thread ‘10 day trip Zurich and Geneva as bases’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.