10 day trip in Switzerland April 2018

• taylcapital
    Participant
    9 posts
    30 October 2017 at 16:44:10 #813585

Hi Everyone!

Previously I started a thread with the same title, but I’ve been really busy with work, hence did not manage to take a look at the progress of the thread. Thank you to everyone who replied to me. I have given some though about my itinerary, and revised how I will travel upon touching down in Zurich. So please feel free to comment or make any suggestions, open to all opinions.

Background:

1. Country of Origin – Singapore
    2. Total pax – 3 (myself and parents
    3. Purpose – 70% sightseeing / 30% light hiking or exploring towns to look at architecture, museums etc.

Day 1 (Zurich > Lausanne / Montreux)

Day 2 (Lausanne / Montreux) : Either Glacier 3000 or Rochers De Naye

• Question 1 – Will it be better to stay in Lausanne or Montreux? Given I have activities in both places?
    • Question 2 Is it better to purchase the tickets for the Glacier 3000 beforehand or when I reach Lausanne?

Day 3 (Lausanne / Montreux > Zermatt)

Day 4 (Zermatt) – Gonergrat or Klein Matterhorn

Day 5 (Zermatt > Interlaken) – Thun boat ride, train back to Interlaken, explore city

Day 6 (Interlaken) – Jungfraujoch

Day 7 (Interlaken > Lucerne) – Chapel Bridge / Jesuit Church / Franciscan Church / Musegg Wall etc.

Day 8 (Lucerne) – ???

• Question 1 – Should I check out Mount Titlis, in the event I stay 1 more day in Lucerne, will that be “too much mountain”

Day 9 (Lucerne > Zurich) – 1 night in Zurich, since I am taking the morning flight back to Singapore the next day

• Question 1 – Should we stay 1 more night in Lucerne / Interlaken / Zermatt? – And spend the final night in Lucerne and take an early train to Zurich Airport? The train journey is about 1 hour 15 mins from Lucerne to Zurich Airport. We have a 11:45am flight.

Day 10 (Zurich > Zurich airport) – Take departure flight back in SG

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks everyone!

Cheers,

Wilson

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 October 2017 at 19:42:37 #871393

Hi Wilson,

Welcome back. If you want to read your old thread you can do so here.

Day 2:
    1) I think either town is a good option for you – personal preference on this one. I like Montreux but I haven’t been to Lausanne.
    2) You can purchase the tickets upon arrival for any mountain.

Day 8: I would add a day to Interlaken in case the weather is bad on the day you want to go to Jungfraujoch. If both days look good there are lots of mountains or lakes to visit in the Jungfrau region on the extra day.

Day 9: As you note, it is easy to get to Zurich airport by train from Luzern, so no need to spend the last night in Zurich unless you want to see the town. If mountain scenery is your main goal on this trip I would skip Zurich.

Arno
    15483 posts
    30 October 2017 at 20:15:33 #871394

Hi Wilson,

I’d tend to stay in Montreux rather than Lausanne. It’s smaller, closer to the mountains, right on the lake (in Lausanne you’ll have to take the subway to reach the lake) and closer to Glacier 3000 and Rochers-de-Naye. You’ll reach Lausanne in only 20 minutes by train. Please have a look at Lucas’ links for more details about both towns.

taylcapital
    Participant
    9 posts
    5 November 2017 at 16:38:08 #871395

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies.

I think I am pretty much settled to be staying in Montreux for the first 2 nights.

Hence, upon my arrival from Zurich Airport to Montreux Gare, I was thinking of taking a boat trip along Lake Geneva, but kinda in between 2 options

1. Take the boat from Montreux > Vevey Marche > Lausanne

From this, we’ll explore the city of Lausanne, maybe take a look at Port Ouchy / Olympic Museum / Notre Dame Cathedral / Parc De mon Repos .

2. Take the boat from Montreux > Chillion Castle

Take our time to explore Chillion Castle (not sure how long it’ll take), then head back to Montreux, explore the town a little, rest and prep for the next day.

Q1: How long is the boat ride along Lake Geneva from Montreux to Lausanne following the route outlined above?

Q2: However, if I do not take “too long” at Chillion Castle, will it be possible to take the boat from Chillion Castle back to > Montreux > Vevey Marche > Lausanne and explore Lausanne?

Thanks and cheers!

Wilson

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2017 at 2:56:01 #871396

Hi Wilson,

>> 1.Take the boat from Montreux > Vevey Marche > Lausanne From this, we’ll explore the city of Lausanne, maybe take a look at Port Ouchy / Olympic Museum / Notre Dame Cathedral / Parc De mon Repos . 2. Take the boat from Montreux > Chillion Castle

Montreux to Lausanne would be my choice for the best scenery, but you will need to check the timetable to see whether there are boat services on your particular date. The winter timetable will still be in force until mid-April, and services will be extremely limited, and not on a daily basis. The spring timetable kicks in around 15 April, but even then there are only two departures from Montreux to Lausanne daily, at 13:45 and 17:09.

http://www.cgn.ch/en-gb/accueil.aspx

(They don’t have the 2017-18 timetable up yet).

If your priority is seeing Lausanne, you may need to go by train. If your priority is a lake cruise, I would wait until the new timetable is released, have a look to see what boats are operating on your preferred date, and pick one of them.

>> Take our time to explore Chillion Castle (not sure how long it’ll take)

You could spend anything from an hour to half-a-day there.

>> How long is the boat ride along Lake Geneva from Montreux to Lausanne following the route outlined above?

Montreux to Lausanne takes about an hour-and-a-half. You can find out by using the timetable.

>> Q2: However, if I do not take “too long” at Chillion Castle, will it be possible to take the boat from Chillion Castle back to > Montreux > Vevey Marche > Lausanne and explore Lausanne?

Again, you can use the timetable to plan your trip and decide for yourself what’s feasible. If you are hoping to do this before 15 April, the boat may not be an option, but you can still get there by train.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Alpenrose

taylcapital
    Participant
    9 posts
    12 November 2017 at 15:16:39 #871397

Hi Alpenrose,

Thanks for the advice, I guess I’ll have to wait for the 2018 timetable.

However, I’m looking at the 2017/2018 timetable (http://www.cgn.ch/media/31690 6/affiche-horaire-hiver-2018.pdf), for the “St-Gingolph > Lausanne” timetable, what do the squiggly lines mean? I’m look at 931, am I correct in saying that it arrives in Montreux at 14:42, and reaches Lausanne at 16:15?

I am hoping to do this the first day I arrive in Montreux, 17/04/2018.

Thanks!

Wilson

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 November 2017 at 22:55:04 #871398

Hi Wilson,

>> I’m looking at the 2017/2018 timetable (http://www.cgn.ch/media/31690 6/affiche-horaire-hiver-2018.pdf), for the “St-Gingolph > Lausanne” timetable, what do the squiggly lines mean? I’m look at 931, am I correct in saying that it arrives in Montreux at 14:42, and reaches Lausanne at 16:15? I am hoping to do this the first day I arrive in Montreux, 17/04/2018.

Yes, the boat arrives in Montreux at 14:42 and reaches Lausanne at 16:15. Next to the times for Château de Chillon and Lausanne, there is a cross. The legend on the far right hand side of the timetable explains what it means, i.e. that this service runs on Sundays and public holidays only. The squiggly line is the equivalent of ditto marks, meaning that the Sundays and public holidays only limitation applies to all the other stops as well.

On your travel date of 17 April 2018, which falls into the Spring timetable period, there are two boat services from Montreux to Lausanne. One departs Montreux at 13:45, the other at 17:09. You can verify this by doing an advanced search in the Swiss Timetable (link above), using “From Montreux (lac)” “To Lausanne-Ouchy (lac)” and limiting the means of transport to “Ship“.

If neither of those departure times suits you, you could do the search without limiting the means of transport to ships, and that will give you an option that utilises a train from Montreux to Lutry at 14:26, then a 20-minute boat trip from Lutry to Lausanne.

At Lutry you need to walk from the railway station to the wharf. Google Maps can give you directions, and suggests that the walk will take 9 minutes. You have 10 minutes between arriving at Lutry station catching the boat from the wharf. That might be a bit tight if you are unfamiliar with the area.

Alpenrose

taylcapital
    Participant
    9 posts
    22 November 2017 at 17:04:32 #871399

Hi Guys,

Was doing some research on Jungfraujoch, have some questions regarding their tickets.

Because I intend to go up from Interlaken Ost > Wengen > Kleine Scheidegg, explore Jungfraujoch, back down to Kleine Scheidegg > Grindelwald, I guess purchasing this ticket will be my best option – http://www.jungfrau.ch/shop/e n/tickets/bergbahn/ang ebote/jungfraujoch-top-of-europe/jungfraujoch-ticket-anschlussticket-zum-ga-und-swisspass-ab-wengen-bis-grindelwaldneu

Therefore, if I have the swiss travel pass, I should be paying CHF (0.75 * CHF 91.50) = approximately CHF 69 per pax am I correct?

Does this ticket include activities on Jungfraujoch such as the Sphinx Observatory / Ice Palace etc.? Or is Jungfraujoch generally a place which is kind of free and easy once you alight the train from Kleine Scheidegg? i.e. you can roam around and just enjoy the general view?

Thanks!

Wilson

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2017 at 17:40:12 #871400

When I tried that link it gave me 137.50 with the Swiss travel Pass round-trip from Wengen – which is correct. 91.50 is for the Swiss Half Fare Card holders.

Also, those prices include the discount already.

taylcapital
    Participant
    9 posts
    24 November 2017 at 14:08:48 #871401

Hey Lucas you’re right, it’s CHF 137.5 for swiss pass holders! Thanks!

• The thread ‘10 day trip in Switzerland April 2018’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.