10 day trip May – Luzern, Wengen, Montreux, Zermat

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2018 at 16:51:19 #815305

Hi all!

My husband and I will be traveling to Switzerland for our honeymoon in early-mid May. We are a young couple who live in Colorado and, thus, are very active as we have an abundance of hiking/skiing opportunities nearby. We cannot wait to see what Switzerland has to offer. I have researched tons but am still overwhelmed by the opportunities in each place. I was hoping on feedback on what I have thus far.

We are planning on purchasing the swiss travel pass.

Day 1: Arrive in Zurich. Train to Luzern. Arrive at ~2pm. Staying in Old Town. Walk city sightseeing at: Lion’s Monument, Chapel Bridge, City Wall, Spreuer Bridge. Grab dinner in Old Town and then likely early night given jet lag.

Day 2: Go to Mt. Rigi via boat then cogwheel. Hike around at the top of Mt. Rigi. Then take cable car down from Rigi Kaltbad. Explore the lake more via swiss path in the afternoon. Dinner again in Old Town.

Questions about Luzern:

• What suggestions do you have for dinner?
    • We chose Mt. Rigi over Pilatus as I felt it had more hiking opportunities at the top. Is that a fair assessment?
    • If so, what specific hikes do you recommend for moderate to strenuous hikes for that time of year?

Day 3: Travel to Wengen. Luggage in lockers as AirBnB not available til 4pm. Go to grocery store for snacks/breakfast. Hike in region.

Day 4: Also my 30th birthday! Go to Jungfraujoch early in the morning. Hike at Kleine Scheidegg on the way back.

Questions about Wengen:

• I have spent some time reviewing many different websites about Jungfraujoch, including the proprietary website about the activities. We would love to hike out over the glacier. Can you do that without a guide? I only saw the 2 day excursion posted.
    • What are specific hikes in the region that you recommend for moderate to strenuous hikes that are open that time of year?
    • I was saddened to see that Hotel Scheonegg restaurant is closed that time of year. Any other great suggestions for the perfect 30th birthday meal?! We are willing to travel to nearby villages.

I am greatly appreciative of any suggestions, and will update with the itinerary on our next 2 cities next!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 2:12:25 #882174

Hi etroy, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> My husband and I will be traveling to Switzerland for our honeymoon in early-mid May … We are planning on purchasing the swiss travel pass … Luzern: What suggestions do you have for dinner?

Central location on the riverside in the Altstadt (old town):

http://www.rathausbrauerei.ch /en

>> We chose Mt. Rigi over Pilatus as I felt it had more hiking opportunities at the top. Is that a fair assessment?

Yes.

>> If so, what specific hikes do you recommend for moderate to strenuous hikes for that time of year?

Others can better advise you about that than I can, but here are some links while you await further advice:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king

http://www.rigi.ch/en/Experie nce-Enjoy/Summer/Hiking/Hi king-trails-on-Mount-Rigi

>> Travel to Wengen. Luggage in lockers as AirBnB not available til 4pm.

There are no lockers at Wengen station, but you can probably use the baggage service at the station.

>> Go to grocery store for snacks/breakfast.

You will be able to see the Coop supermarket from the station – look across the park and a bit to the right.

>> Hike in region.

Higher altitude hikes are not likely to be open before mid-June. The local tourist offices can advise you on what trails are open during your stay.

Your visit coincides with the low season between the end of the ski season and the beginning of the hiking season. Some mountain transport will be closed for maintenance, but you still have some options:

Operating

• Cable car Lauterbrunnen-Grütschalp (from 5 May; closed 30 April-4 May). While it is not operating, you can travel to Mürren via bus Lauterbrunnen-Stechelberg and cable car Stechelberg-Mürren
    • Trümmelbach Falls will be open

Not operating

• Gondola Grindelwald Grund to Männlichen (opens 26 May 2018; they might also operate it on Sat/Sun/Mon 19-21 May if the weather is nice)
    • Cable car Wengen to Männlichen (reopens 1 Jun 2018)
    • Funicular Mürren to Allmendhubel (closed 9 Apr to 22 Jun 2018)

>> my 30th birthday! Go to Jungfraujoch early in the morning.

Nice choice! I had my last “round” birthday on top of a mountain too!

>> Hike at Kleine Scheidegg on the way back.

Not sure if those trails will be open – check with tourist office when you are there.

>> We would love to hike out over the glacier. Can you do that without a guide? I only saw the 2 day excursion posted.

You can do an unguided walk on the glacier to the Mönchsjochhütte at some times of the year – about an hour each way. The hut reopened on 19 March, but I would still check about the status of the hike before starting out. (See attached photo of people on the trail, taken from the Sphinx at the Jungfraujoch in December 2016).

For any other hikes on the glacier, I believe you would need a guide and suitable clothing and equipment.

>> I was saddened to see that Hotel Scheonegg restaurant is closed that time of year. Any other great suggestions for the perfect 30th birthday meal?! We are willing to travel to nearby villages.

That’s because it’s the off-season, and it will be pretty much the same in the other villages. There will be some places open, but perhaps not offering the setting and style of meal you would prefer for a special occasion.

If no-one else comes up with a better suggestion, I would try one of the fancier hotels in Interlaken.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘10 day trip May – Luzern, Wengen, Montreux, Zermat’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.