10 days in Lucerne/Bernese Oberland with kids

• Daisyjiang
    Participant
    4 posts
    15 August 2022 at 15:05:51 #828091

Hi there, I’m seeking input on our tentative itinerary for our 10 day trip in Switzerland this coming September. My husband and I will be with our two kids, 5Y and 11 month old, and we’re planning to base in Lucerne for 4 nights and in Wengen for 5 nights. Our current itin is:

Day 1 – we arrive in Lucerne mid-day, check into our accommodation, and walk around Old Town and check out Chapel Bridge

Day 2 – day trip to Engelberg and do the Engelberg Trubsee walk around the lake

Day 3 – day trip to either Mt Pilatus or Mt Rigi

Day 4 – I’m looking for ideas for this day. So far, we are planning to check out Sorenburg Mooraculum for a kid-friendly themed trail, but are open to other ideas!

Day 5 – take the train from Lucerne to Wengen, where we will be for the rest of the trip. We are planning to check out Thun as a stopover by checking in our luggage at the train station and spending about half a day at Thun. Would folks recommend this approach? Is Thun appropriate for visiting for a half day?

Day 6 – based in Wengen by this point, we are planning to head up to Mannlichen and hike to Kleine Scheidegg (my older one is super excited about this) and eventually end up in Grindelwald and spend the rest of the day there before heading back home to Wengen

Day 7 – we want to do the Grindelwald First to Bachalpsee Lake hike. This doesn’t make sense to do together with our visit to Grindelwald the following day, does it? I was thinking it’d be too much to fit into one day (especially since we’re lugging two kids)

Day 8 – explore Lauterbrunnen by bike. We’re planning to rent ebikes at Imoden in Lauterbrunnen and biking to Trummelbach Falls, Staubbach Falls, and all the way to Murren and spending some time there and calling it a day.

Day 9 – I’m looking to do paragliding either in Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen. Does anyone have any feedback on which location would be better, or is it all similar views/experiences? I think paragliding will only take half a day, and then we’re aiming to do something else nearby for the day… our current plan is to do the Schynige Platte Panorama Ridge Trail. Too much to fit into one day?

Day 10 – we will be heading back into the Zurich area for our flight back home the following day, but probably have half a day to either explore Lauterbrunnen some more or do a stopover from Wengen to Zurich. Any recos? Brienz, maybe?

Thank you so much in advance for any feedback on this itinerary. We have been looking forward to this trip since before the pandemic and can’t wait to experience Switzerland for the first time!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    15 August 2022 at 16:04:52 #945655

Hi Daisyjiang,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

This is a well-planned itinerary and I’d stick with it for the most part.

On Day 3, since you are travelling with two small kids, I think an excursion to Pilatus might be more interesting. Take the cable car. There is a huge playground at the middle station (Kriesenregg) you might want to check out.

On Day 4, a trip to Sorenberg and the Mooraculum is a great option. You can find other activity options in Lucerne here: http://www.myswissalps.com/lucerne/activities

Day 7 – I agree a trip to Grindelwald First + hike to Bachalpsee deserves its own day trip.

Day 9 – If you’re planning a trip to Schynige Platte later in the day, perhaps it’s practical to book your paragliding activity in Lauterbrunnen like this one.

Day 10 – Travelling from Wengen to Zurich. Might be a good idea to make a quick stop in Bern and explore this city.

Hope this gives you more ideas for your itinerary. Let us know if you need more information.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘10 days in Lucerne/Bernese Oberland with kids’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.