Hiking suggestions for 10 days in Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2018 at 15:28:47 #818418

Hi,everyone!

I will live in Wengen from September 23 to October 2. Arrive and depart from Geneva. This is the second trip to Wengen. The level of physical fitness is average (age 55). I plan easy and medium difficulty hiking. Plan to use Bernese Oberland Regional Pass 10.

Options for good weather (8 days):

1. Kandersteg-Oeschinensee gandola, further descent to the lake, trekking near the lake (possibly partial uphill, circular route I do not plan), descent to Kandersteg on foot.

2. From Wengen climb at the lift at Mannlichen, climb on foot at Mannlichen, go on foot to Kline Schieddeg, descend to Haareg, climb at Eigergletcher, descent on foot to Kline Schieddeg.

3. Wengen-Grindelwald (via Kline Schieddeg) -train, Grindelwald-First (gondola), First-Baschsee-walking

PLEASE HELP TO CHOOSEE (Which one is worth the visit?):

a) First-Baschalpsee-Waldspitz/Bort trekking

b) First-Bachalpsee-First-Grosse Schieddeg trekking, Grosse Schieddeg-Grindelwald bus, Grindelwald-Wengen (via Lauterbrunnen) train

4. PLEASE HELP TO CHOOSE

a) Lauterbrunnen-Isenfluh by bus, Isenfluh-Sulwald cable car, Sulwald – (+ Marchegg) -Grutschalp walk (http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/sulwald-gruetschalp)

b) Lauterbrunnen-Isenfluh trekking, Isenfluh-Sulwald cable car, walk around Sulwald, back the same way (cable car, bus).

5. Trekking: Gimmelwald – Sefinental – Kilchbalm – (back the same way) – Stechelberg OR start the trek from Murren and go down to Gimmelwald …

6. PLEASE HELP TO CHOOSE (Which one is it worth the visit?)

a) Meirigen-Aareschlucht-Reichenbachfall-Rosenlaui-Brienz

b) Interlaken – Iseltwald (by bus), from Iseltwald to Giessbach (walk), hike around Giessbach.

c) Wengen – Axalp (via Meiringen) by train and bus, hike from Axalp to Hinterburgseeli and back to Axalp. Is it real to combine this with Giessbach and return with the last boat to Interlaken?

7. Walk Grutschalp-Winttereg-Murren

8. hike (s) around Allmenhudel-Murren

What is the best place to visit in bad weather in the area of Bernese Oberland Regional Pass?

Thank you VERY MUCH!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2018 at 19:40:46 #896480

It looks like it will be cold next Monday at Mannlichen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2018 at 14:24:31 #896481

Hi Koinobori,

I haven’t done those hikes myself so can’t give you personal recommendations – good choices I think though for your trip!

1. B) I’d go from First to Grosse Scheidegg instead of going down to Bort.
    2. A) I’d go with the Sulwald-gruetschalp hike
    3. I’d try the hike to Hinterburgseeli. An early start should allow you to go to Geissbach if you are up for it afterwards

If you get bad weather around Wengen you could look at Montreux or Brig as alternative options that are covered by the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland (though Montreux is only 50% covered once you pass Saanen): http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and/validity

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2018 at 15:57:48 #896482

Hi,Lucas!

Thank you SO much for your help!

I would like to ask you which weather website is better for Swiss? At the present moment I’m checking weather in Wengen,Mannlichen,Grindelwald,Murren,Gimmelwald,Kandersteg, Kline Scheiddeg,Axalp. Yes, I remember that the forecast is close to truth just for 48 hours…

1) meteo.search.ch/wengen

2) m.srf.ch/meteo/

3) http://www.meteoblue.com/en/w eather/forecast/week/w engen_switzerland_2658 020

The last one gives the option “Temperature felt” which is very useful but sometimes this site gives lower temperatures then 1)-2). 1),2) are much more optimistic.

1) , 2) does not have weather for some places from my list. Meteoblue showes for some days pretty low day temperatures -6C~-8C (Kline Scheidegg).

What do you think? I have 2 days to pack my backpack…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2018 at 16:56:04 #896483

One more question. If I take Woodcarving Trail Axalp, Sportbahnen– Hinterburgseeli – Axalp, Sportbahnen: Wengen 7:03-Axalp, Sportbahnen 9:13…..Woodcarving Trail let’s say till 15:00, take a 15:45 bus to Giessbach Hotel (arrive 16:04) is it enough time to hike around Giessbach fall and take the las boat (17:51) to Interlaken?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2018 at 6:27:55 #896484

Yes, the hotel is located at the foot of the waterfalls basically. So once you are there you should be fine with that timeframe: http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en/the-giessbach-falls-brienz.html

• The thread ‘Hiking suggestions for 10 days in Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.