10 days May: Lucerne-Jungfrau-Zermatt-Zurich

• Avalanche100
    Participant
    2 posts
    26 April 2023 at 8:43:11 #829693

Hi,

We are a group of 10 adults travelling to switzerland from 3rd May to 13th may. I have read a lot on these forums and finalised the itineray. Please have a look at it if its doable and most importantly IF We Need to CHANGE or we can do it Better, suggestions would be welcome.

SWISS ITINERARY

Day 0 – Arrive at Zurich and train to Lucerne. Overnight at Lucerne.

Day 1 – Lucerne to Mt titlis + Lucerne city

Then to Lucerne city – city tour

Day 2 – 5th may

Train from Lucerne to Interlaken via Goldenpass panoramic railway.

Arrival Max by 9 – Take a car from car station dump our luggage in car or locker

Funicular ride to harder kulm

Tandem paragliding

Both has to book prior

Evening explore brunngasse street one of beautiful street

Leisure walk in hohematte park

Our Check in at 3oclock

Day 3 – 6th may

Lake brienz by car 20 mins

Boat trip to berienzersee or thun 6hrs booking to be done.

Arrive at Lake by boat.tske waterfallsold steam locomotive to get up the BrienzerRothorn and hike back down

After take boat again to Geissbach (boat stop by same name)

Grand hotel Giessbatch sip a coffee n enjoy view

We can also do kayaking hrs bookings to be done.

Day 4 – 7th may

Travel to Grindelwald

Exploring First & Bachalpsee Lake

Hop on the 25 minute cable car all the way up into the Alps. Getting off the cable car in First,

You can then make your way to the BachalpseeLake hiking trail (~1.5 – 2 hours round trip).

Once done hiking you can take part of the First Cliff Walk,

Gletscher schluchl Rosenlaui Glacier Gorg

Sledgeride Grindelwald

Day 6 – 8th may Mannlichen – KleineScheidegg Panorama Trail & Wengen

Royal Walk and can be completed in about 30-45 minutes (the way down can be much quicker).

Once you finish up the Royal Walk, you can make your way to the start of the famous Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg Panorama Trail.

Day 7 – 9th may Schithorn and the Lauterbrunnen valley

You can then head back down to Murren havelunch and explore this CAR FREE TOWN

After lunch it is time to head down toStechelberg, the start of your Lauterbrunnen journey.

Rest

Day 8- 10th may junfraujach

Ride by new gondola Eiger express by cogwheel train

From husky drawn.(board the gondola Eiger express of newly opened U cableway for a spectacular ride to the Eger Glacier station,where you can get to cogwheel train to Jungfraujoch.

Day 9 – 11th may – Zermatt

– Early morning train to Zermatt so you can have plenty of time to complete one of the top hikes around the area – the Five Lakes Trail.

– Suspension hike trail

– Matterhorn Glacier Paradise

– Gornergrat

Yet to finalise which are doable.

Day 10 – 12may travel to Zurich and do Zurich city tour

Some questions/suggestions needed ?

1. We are taking full swiss pass and rent cars for interlaken area just for experience. Suggestions for swiss pass or half fare or BO pass ? My calculations show Swiss pass and half fare to cost almost same for us.

2. what rides/ trains out of these do we prebook ?

3. Weather forecasts shows rains/cloudy weather to be expected? Any alternatives for bad weather for our itinerary ?

4. Can we make this itinerary better ? Please all suggestions welcome

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    26 April 2023 at 13:08:43 #953786

Hi Avalanche100,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Thank you for sharing your plans, you must all be getting quite excited.

In answer to your questions:

1. I am not sure if you are aware of the current Swiss Travel Pass promotion. Given your time here, you would benefit from the 8-day Swiss Travel pass (+2 days free) for each of you – so in total 10 days 🙂 More information here: https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass

Alternatively, we offer group discounts too. More information here:

I don’t think you need to rent a car just for the experience. Your call at the end of the day – it can be expensive and if you have a rail pass, it would be a shame not be able to make good use of it. Public transport is very efficient and accessible here 🙂

2. Generally reservations are not necessary in trains in Switzerland (aside a few scenic train rides) but as you will be traveling in a large group. You may wish to make reservations if you wanted to be seated close to each other for the longer train rides. More details can be found in the below links:

3. For bad weather alternatives, personally, if it is not torrential rain and only cloudy with light rain. I think you can still enjoy your itinerary. You can find bad-weather options on most of our town pages. For example, if you carry out a search for Interlaken in the search box, you will be able to read up on suggestions. The weather forecast is unpredictable and can still change. You may see rain forecast now but you are still one week away from arriving so it can still change: https://www.myswissalps.com/weather/forecast

4. I think your itinerary is fine, very busy. Just a few points and suggestions:

– Use the timetable link so you can plan your schedules each day: https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

– I would take advantage of our “getting there” sections on our activity pages. Here you can check and plan each segment of your trip in further detail. It will also indicate if any cable car or train is not in operation. For example, Brienzer Rothorn is not in operation. You will only be able to reach Planalp. See link here: https://www.myswissalps.com/brienzerrothorn/gettingthere.

Likewise, the cable car to Männlichen is not running on your dates. https://www.myswissalps.com/mannlichen/gettingthere

If you are planning on hiking, best to check with the tourist office when you arrive to ensure the trails are accessible.

Whilst in Zermatt, you may want to consider the Peak2Peak pass. This allows you to visit Klein Matterhorn and Gornergrat in the same day.

You can read more about it here:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Avalanche100
    Participant
    2 posts
    27 April 2023 at 9:59:24 #953787

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. Really appreciated.

We are taking swiss travel pass for 8+2 days. Car we’ll keep for our interlaken stay. I had similar thought on taking car as yours but my fellow travellers insist on it.

One suggestion I wanted about the car rental place. Since we arrive Interlaken on saturday, I see most car rentals are closed on weekend. Is it possible to get car on a saturday ??

Also should I take the half fare pass instead of Full Travel pass ? The costs for my journey are approx the same from what I calculated ! And we also have the car, so confused over here.

Thanks

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    27 April 2023 at 11:45:59 #953788

Hello again Avalanche100,

If the rental car is available for collection on the Saturday, I am sure the rental car company will let you take it then. Best to check with them.

If your calculations are near enough the same, I would be tempted to go with the Swiss Travel Pass. Purely for the fact, that I would not need to buy any additional tickets with the Swiss Travel Pass. The only extra tickets you would need to buy would be for certain cable cars and other mountain transport. More information here, on how to use and if you click on the “where it’s valid” tab, you can view the coverage map to see what is included.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

• The thread ‘10 days May: Lucerne-Jungfrau-Zermatt-Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.