$100 off Swiss Travel Pass & other passes/tickets

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

twooldgoats
    Participant
    20 posts
    8 March 2018 at 21:23:03 #878119

They also just started the 20% off the 1st class STP. Found it on their site this morning and got a pair. It’s a separate promotion.

Jim

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 March 2018 at 6:11:28 #878120

Welcome to MySwissAlps Jim! Thanks for sharing. Yes, it is promo season for them apparently. I’ll be posting about this soon here.

Here’s a link to their US website: http://www.raileurope.com/pas s/swiss-pass-5934. They write that this promo has been available from March 6, but I’m pretty sure it just launched.

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    9 March 2018 at 11:37:16 #878121

Thanks Arno. Booked the passes with this promotion in India (8 days consecutive). Fortunately, I got the print at home option.

If I convert INR into CHF at current rate, I got the pass at approx CHF 402.8 (INR 27,600). RailEurope charged conveyance fees of INR 324.

It seems, because of conversion rate, I did not actually get benefit of promotion because, on Swiss Pass website or SBB website, the display price is CHF 398. Do you think this is fine?

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 March 2018 at 12:02:25 #878122

Hi Cspratik,

Rail Europe prices for Swiss rail passes are often higher than average, although their Eurail pass and ticket prices are pretty good. So it’s always a matter of doing the math in any particular situation. As you say it depends on exchange rates, but also on which product(s) you buy, their prices (they vary) and the promotion details. You’ll find a list of Swiss Travel Pass retailers on http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price, so it’s easy to compare prices from there.

Glad to hear you’re good to go, even though the actual savings might not be much in your case. Enjoy your trip!

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    9 March 2018 at 15:11:12 #878123

Hi Arno,

I guess, I would have opted for buying Passes on RailEurope World rather than Indian website. I guess, that would be saving of more money to me. Anyways, its already done by me. but if any Indian is looking for buying Swiss Travel pass, then I would recommend them to recheck the prices on Rail Europe world, compare it with Indian website and then buy it.

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 March 2018 at 15:22:40 #878124

Hi CPratik,

That’s a good tip, thanks. That website typically charges lower prices. They do price their products in EUR. It is a good option if your bank is not charging a lot for the INR to EUR conversion.

Here’s are the links for anyone else reading this:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 12:31:13 #878125

Dear All

Be careful when you use RailEurope promocode as the promotion discount may appear when you key in the code and the amount to pay comes out as the discounted rate – this page is before the “Proceed to Pay” page. But when you proceed to payment, the amount comes out without the discount.

This happened to me yesterday, and as I was too fast to click everything, I ended up paying the amount without the promotion. When I live chatted with the RailEurope, they told me there was no more coupons to be applied and because I was invoiced and had paid there is nothing they will do so its “Caveat Emptor”!

So please tell out the site before paying the final amount. And till now, which is more than 24 hours, I have yet to receive my tickets via e-mail.

Sim

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 March 2018 at 9:08:43 #878126

Hi Sim,

That’s unfortunate! The coupon codes can indeed run out, but I wouldn’t expect it to happen so soon after their promotion launch. And it should not remove the discount during the purchase process. Whether the maximum number of codes has actually been used up depends on which of their websites you purchase from I guess. I just tried http://www.raileurope-world.com/deals and that worked fine until the payment step. In general it’s indeed a good tip to double check the final amount once you have reached the payment step.

Which website did you buy from? What’s your Rail Europe order number? Perhaps I can double check with them if anything can be done.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 March 2018 at 9:17:00 #878127

Do http://www.raileurope.com.au/ pass/swiss-pass-7314 bump their prices before offering the “10%” discount? By my reckoning http://www.swissrailways.com is better value even after the “promo”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 10:33:56 #878128

Hi Arno

I bought from http://www.raileurope-asean.com. Our address ( my address is in Malaysia) dictates the RailEurope website to be used. I also somehow could not access http://www.raileurope-world.com/deals (don’t know why).

My booking number is 42629404. I read some fine prints in their “orderconfirmation” and it states RailEurope takes 2 Business Days for them to email my STP tickets. As of now, I still have not received their email (sigh….!) as I bought it on Friday night.

Appreciate your assistance Arno.

Thanks

SIm

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 10:39:38 #878129

Hei rockoyster,

I tested http://www.raileurope.com.au and you are correct about the pricing. Based on 2 tickets prices(u need to use 2 ticket to reach the price to get the promo), the website came up to AUD1352(with promo discount), but note that there is a fee of AUD18. Converted to CHF, its cheaper to buy from HappyRail at CHF481, with no fees and tickets emailed within a few hours (RailEurope will take 2 business days).

Sim

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 March 2018 at 11:27:39 #878130

Hi Rockoyster and Sim,

I don’t think they increase their prices prior to a promo (I actually verified that last week, but not for the Australian site). But for the last years they do tend to be more expensive than other retailers when it comes to products other than Eurail and point to point tickets. Their websites offering prices in EUR, like http://www.raileurope-world.com, are often cheaper than other currencies. So if you can use that site I definitely would. The only disadvantage is the fee from your bank to convert from EUR to your home currency, and that shipping of physical passes may take longer.

Here in Europe I am not forced to any of their sites, but perhaps they indeed do for other countries. I can’t check that. If you are redirected, do try to just go back to the site you came from. Sometimes that works.

In any case, it is useful to do the math for any promotion, and double check if other retailers have a better offer (whether that is called a promo or not). Some offer steady good prices but no promos. Others offer higher prices but occasional promos. Our Price and Promotion tabs on all pass pages allow you to to find all options quickly:

Pass delivery during weekends takes longer for most retailers. On weekdays it’s very quick, if ordering during the weekend you usually receive the e-mail on Monday.

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 March 2018 at 11:29:46 #878131

Thanks for the order details Sim. I’ll check on that and get back here if I find more information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 16:34:45 #878132

I am an Indian passport holder currently residing in Bahrain on employment and planning to visit Switzerland in June 2018. Where is this website offering 20% discount on first class Swiss Travel Pass available?

Regards, Jeyaraman

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 18:28:55 #878133

Hi Jeyaraman and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can read about the 20% off promotion for 1st class Swiss Travel Passes here. But it is currently for travelers from Canada, Mexico and the United States only.

philipd
    Participant
    15 posts
    12 March 2018 at 2:16:50 #878134

Arno:

Can we get 20% promotion on 1st class STP for 8 consecutive days and also USD 100 off against this order,if we buy 2 passes as mentioned in your post:

$100 off any order if you spend $1000: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/100-off-swiss-travel-pass-other-passestickets

Thanks

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 March 2018 at 2:30:35 #878135

Hi Philipd,

Were you planning to get a 1st Class Pass anyway? If not then I wouldn’t let a 20% discount lure me. 2nd class travel in Switzerland is pretty darn good.

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 March 2018 at 6:40:54 #878136

Hi Philipd,

You can only apply one coupon code per order unfortunately.

philipd
    Participant
    15 posts
    12 March 2018 at 13:27:37 #878137

YES,Was planning to buy 1ST CLASS, as in lake cruises upper deck is for 1st class holders, if can not get additional 100 off, might not go for it.

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    12 March 2018 at 14:16:29 #878138

Hi Arno,

I got my Passes on email. However, just would like to clarify one thing.

My full name is Shah Pratik Kamleshkumar (Last First Middle) which I properly mentioned while applying for Passes on raileurope.co.in (Name on Passport) But instead of this, Shah Pratik Kamlesh is mentioned on the pass copy I got from them on email. So the”Middle Name” is not mentioned completely.

Do you think this will create any problem with Ticket checker in any trains in Switzerland? Even if it does not, would it be better to ask them to make proper changes to my name? Is it possible to change it now?

Please note that I have a copy of the Order wherein I have mentioned my name properly, so the change in the name is from their side. Appreciate your suggestion.Thanks

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)
  • The thread ‘$100 off Swiss Travel Pass & other passes/tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.