11-day itinerary in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2014 at 15:18:09 #806348

Hi Annika and Arno,

I and my wife will make a 22-day honeymoon trip to Swiss & Italy. The first half of it is a 11-day visit to Swiss and I plan our itinerary as follows:

Day 1 (14 Jun): arrival at Zurich; a half-day city visit in Zurich.

Day 2: visit Vaduz in the morning, and visit Maienfeld in the afternoon.

Day 3: travel to Lucerne in the morning, then a half-day visit in Lucerne in the afternoon.

Day 4: visit to Mount Rigi in the morning till afternoon (boat-trip to Vitznau then train to Rigi Kulm); then travel to Interlaken/Grindelwald in late afternoon. We will take Grindelwald as our base.

Day 5: visit to First area, and trail walk to Bachalpsee in the morning; visit Gletscher Schlucht in the afternoon.

Day 6: visit Jungfraujoch in the morning; trail walk Mannlichen <=> Klein Scheidegg in the afternoon.

Day 7: go to Lauterbrunnen area; trail walk Grutschalp => Murren in the morning; visit to Schilthorn in mid-noon; then take cable-car to Stechelberg and walk from Stechelberg to visit Trummelbach Falle, and then go back to Lauterbrunnen.

Day 8: move from Grindelwald to Interlaken Ost in the morning (we will accommodate in Interlaken at night); then visit Blausee in mid-noon (Blausee opening till 16:00 on 21 Jun), then visit Oeschinensee. Then back to Interlaken Ost.

Day 9: take Brienzee boat trip to Brienz, then take the steam-train to Brienzer Rothorn; then take the steam-train back to Brienz and then train back to Interlaken Ost. We will then move to Zermatt in late afternoon.

Day 10: visit Matterhorn Glacier Paradise in the morning; then back to Zermatt in mid-noon; then take a trail walk Blauherd => Sunnega.

Day 11: Go to Gornergrat in the morning, then take a trail-walk Rotenboden => Riffelberg, then take train back to Zermatt. We will then head off to Milan in mid-noon.

And I have a few questions:

(i) on Day 8 I understand that it will be quite rush as we plan to take train to depart from Interlaken Ost at around 11:30, then go to Blausee via Spiez/Frutigen, and then go to Oeschinensee (I expect we will arrive at around 16:00). Should we give up one of these two…? If we have to, which one should we give up…?

(ii) on Day 9 we will take the 1-hour steam-train up to Brienzer Rothorn (10:45 – 11:43), stay for about 40 mins and then take another 1-hour steam-train downhill (12:20 – 13:30). We will then take a train back to Interlaken Ost and will arrive at around 14:00, for having lunch and then taking a walk in Interlaken and we will then take a 16:00 train leaving Interlaken for Zermatt. Will it be boring for taking the 2-hour steam-train railway journey…? Or should we just take a half-way up (just to experience the steam-train) and then go downhill so as to save some time (ie going back to Interlaken earlier)…?

Thanks a lot.~~~

Curly

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 May 2014 at 10:04:27 #839881

Hi Curly,

(i) It’s indeed a bit much for just an afternoon. You should check the opening hours of the lift to the Oeschinensee and of the Blausee to see if you can make it. I think Blausee is even open in the evenings when you’re there, but they may not offer the short boat rides at that time. I would pick the Oeschinensee if I had to pick one. That’s more nature-like, and includes a cable car ride, while Blausee is more like a small theme park (but beautiful as well).

(ii) The Brienzer Rothorn is absolutely not boring, see here. You should definitely go to the summit if the weather is fine. I would recommend to spend more time there than in Interlaken. There isn’t much to see in Interlaken itself, apart from souvenir shops, other stores and restaurants. It’s the area around Interlaken which makes it a great base.

Note that the name of the country is Switzerland, not Swiss. Just so you know.

I hope this helped you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2014 at 10:22:23 #839882

Hi Arno,

Thanks a lot..!! This fills up as the last pc of puzzle to my picture.~~ : )

Curly

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 May 2014 at 10:49:12 #839883

Glad to help! You’re most welcome to post a short trip report so that we and other travelers can hear how this trip worked out for you. In any case, enjoy yourself in the Swiss Alps!

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 July 2014 at 9:53:38 #839884

Hi Curly,

How was your honeymoon? Were you able to see everything in Switzerland like planned? I hope you had a great time.

• The thread ‘11-day itinerary in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.