11 days in Switzerland, which pass and itinerary?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2012 at 22:17:36 #805034

Hello,

I will be in Switzerland from the 29th of August to the 9th of September. I will be arriving by rail from Paris on the 29th, and departing via Basel on the 9th. I am still not 100% sure of itinerary, but the main places I want to cover are Lausanne/Montreax/Geneva, Lauterbrunnen, Jungfrau, Schilthorn, zermatt/matterhorn, Mount Pilatus, and Zurich.

Out of the French part, where would you suggest I stay out of Geneva, Lausanne, or Montreax? I was thinking of spending 2 nights here, is that about right?

I was then going to get the Golden Pass train from Montreax to Lauterbrunnen, and stay in Lauterbrunnen for 4 days as a base for discovering the alps and seeing Jungfrau/Schilthorn.

After Lauterbrunnen I was thinking of heading down to zermatt for 2 days to see matterhorn, but I’m wondering if this is worth the trip if i’m already seeing alps at Jungfrau? Is there much difference between the two, or am I better off spending an extra two days elsewhere, eg Lucerne?

Finally, I will be spending my last 3 days in Zurich. Some may say this is too much, but I plan on possibly moving to this city next year, so I want to check it out and get a feel for the place.

Here is my rough itinerary, with two options:

Option 1
    – Geneva/Lausanne/Montreax (2 days)
    – Lauterbrunnen (4 days)
    – Zermatt (2 days)
    – Zurich (3 days)

Option 2
    Geneva/Lausanne/Montreax (2 days)
    – Lauterbrunnen (4 days)
    – Lucerne (2 days)
    – Zurich (3 days)

Which would you suggest and why? Also what would be the cheapest rail pass to get for this trip?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    19 March 2012 at 15:28:49 #835196

Hi ISTJ83, and welcome to the forum! It’s hard to choose between those two itineraries. Lucerne and Zermatt are quite different and I can’t say which is better; they’re both wonderful. Zermatt is high up in the alps, whereas the Lucerne region is situated at a lower altitude, resulting in different sceneries. Your 2nd option including Lucerne would be more relaxed though, as Lauterbrunnen-Zermatt and back requires more traveling time than Lauterbrunnen-Lucerne does (you can check this using the timetable).

Lausanne and Montreux are located more centrally than Geneva, but which one is best depends on your plans in this area.

As for rail passes: I think a Swiss Flexi Pass would be a good option, using free travel days for your longer transfers such as Montreux-Lauterbrunnen, Lauterbrunnen-Zermatt, and so on, and profiting from a 50% discount for shorter local trips on other days. Did you notice the 2 for 1 offer on the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass? You won’t be able to use it during your first few days in August, nor is it an option if you’re traveling by yourself, but I just wanted to let you know.

You may be interested in our pages with centrally located hotels in the towns of your travel scheme, such as Geneva, Lausanne, Zermatt, Lucerne, Zurich and Zurich Airport.

• The thread ‘11 days in Switzerland, which pass and itinerary?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.