12 day trip end June to Switzerland

• ritsd
    Participant
    2 posts
    16 February 2017 at 5:18:18 #810825

I am planning for a 12 day trip from 21st June to 7th July covering Switzerland for 12 days and Paris for 4 days, with 2 kids aged 4 and 12

The detailed itinerary is as below

21.6 Arrive mid day in Zurich and travel to Luzerne – local sightseeing

22.6 Day trip to Zurich from Luzerne

23.6 Mount Pilatus or Rigi or Pilatus

24.6 Day trip to Basel and Bern

25.6 – Travel to Chur and then on glacier express to Zermatt, stay overnight (Is it possible to travel back from Zermatt to Bernese Oberland the same day or will it be too much?)

26.6 Bernese Oberland – stay overnight (pls recommend location)

27.6 Juangfrau

28.6 -Bernese Oberland

29.6 – Travel to Montreux on golden pass express, chateu de chillion and local sightseeing

30.6 – Chocolate and cheese factory

1.7 – Day trip to Lausanne

2.7 – onward to Paris – DIsneyland

3.7 Disneyland

4.7 Disneyland and transfer to city in evening – Siene cruise if possible

5.7 City Tour, Siene Cruise, Eifel Tower, Louvre etc.

6.7 City Tour, shopping etc.

7.7 – Travel back to Geneva during mid day – local city tour and then depart in evening back

I will be staying 4 nighs Luzerne, 1 night Zermatt, 3 nights in Bernese Oberland and 4 nights in Vevey/Montreux

I would request your expert suggestions and advice on the below

Is this itinerary workable or I am covering too much. I am not into hiking etc., but if there is some options in Bernese Oberland to do with kids, would be happy to incorporate that in the itinerary

Travel pass options – Since I will be travelling to Paris and back too, will the swiss pass help…

Any suggestions for specific days/locations will be good. Also to highlight we are vegetarians.

Is it ok to have 3 bases or recommendation is to reduce it to 2

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2017 at 8:34:57 #859050

Hi Ritsd and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It looks like a nice itinerary! I will point out just dates that I think you could change or refine below:

24.6 –> I would just pick one town and not try to do both Basel and Bern. Bern is more interesting I think!

25.6 –> Yes you can get back to the Bernese Oberland after the Glacier Express. It departs Chur at 10:39, arriving at Zermatt at 15:14. There are many trains afterwards to get you back to the BO area.
    My suggestion would be to stay in Interlaken for easy access to most attractions you mentioned. You certainly could stay one night in Zermatt to explore the town and check out the Matterhorn – perhaps take the Gornergrat cogwheel train or the Klein Matterhorn – Glacier Paradise?

26.6 –> I would say Interlaken for good connections.

29.6 –> If staying in Interlaken then you can easily take the Golden Pass Panoramic Train to Montreux.

All our town pages offer suggestions on what to do in the area (as well as the Bernese Oberland page I linked as well – hiking suggestions are also mentioned if applicable).

The Swiss Travel Pass (along with the family card which covers your children) will be a great option for you in Switzerland (it will not cover any trains in France).

Passes that could also work for you is the Eurail Select Pass which can cover France and Switzerland (most trains). Read through the pages on the passes I mentioned…it will show you what routes are covered, what aren’t covered and what routes offer a partial discount.

Most restaurants will have vegetarian options but not all (especially in smaller towns). Some larger towns like Zurich have vegetarian restaurants as well. Please note the meat and cheese is very popular in Switzerland though!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

Lucas

ritsd
    Participant
    2 posts
    18 February 2017 at 13:20:24 #859051

Dear Lucas,

Thanks a lot for your revert and valuable suggestions. Have dropped Basel and kept Bern for the visit.

I would request one more help.

Is the glacier express good during that time of the year…will there be snow or only grasslands around..assuming i will be doing it end June.

Also regarding the travel pass, I was considering the 8 day flexi travel card….pls suggest if it is fine or should i go for the 15 days pass.

Furthermore, I am still not very clear on the location option in Bernese Oberland stay….u said Interlaken from a connectivity perspective, which is absolutely correct, however I was looking at more some scenic location with adequate connectivity for nearby tours….ur suggestions will be good.

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 February 2017 at 19:12:17 #859052

Hi Ritsd,

The Glacier Express will certainly be good but there most probably won’t be snow at the altitude of the Glacier Express. There will be snow on the peaks. For snow in lower altitudes you would need to visit in winter or early spring.

The 15-day Swiss Travel Pass is definitely better than an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex. The Swiss Travel Pass is only a bit more expensive but gets you free traveling and discounts during all your 12 days. Please compare prices and purchase options here:

The Jungfrau region page explains about the smaller and more scenic villages in the area.

For a train ticket from the Swiss border to Paris, please see myswissalps.com/traint ickets/france.

• The thread ‘12 day trip end June to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.