12-day train travel across Switzerland in January

• hillfarm101
    Participant
    8 posts
    12 October 2019 at 9:26:33 #824164

Hello

I fear I have “over-researched” (!!) 12 day holiday and would greatly appreciate thoughts on my proposed itinerary by those who know Switzerland please. Thank you in advance!

Husband and I have visited twice before by train (fallen in love with country) doing Glacier route by local train etc and I love train transport. This time, we plan to arrive in Lucerne late January via train from UK and spend 3 nights there (1st Day explore Lucerne, 2nd day Mount Rigi).

Continue to Locarno (overnight stop) via Gotthard Panarama Express boat/train. Next day, early start on Centovalli Line to Montreux (4hr train) with 1 hr lunch stop before boarding 4hr train(s) to Kandersteg via 1st part of Golden Pass (completing scenic journey before daylight fades!). 3 nights Kandersteg; then on to Wengen 3 nights and back to Paris (UK following day).

Hope not over ambitious with amount of trains!! We don’t ski but like the idea of mountain scenes, scenic villages, walking, sledding. As Wengen is expensive, I’m tempted to alter itinerary to an extra night in Kandersteg (4 nights total) and just 2 nights Wengen. Any thoughts? Would we have enough to do in Kandersteg or be better to split 3/3 nights, rather than 4/2 nights?

Don’t like sound of “busy” Interlaken and looked at Lauterbrunnen as cheaper option to Wengen but concerned the valley could be foggy and while I understand weather could prevent good views anywhere during winter season, given total cost of holiday, it seems car-less Wengen would be preferable/more fun and money better spent for likelihood of good visibility.

For that last stage of trip (ie Wengen) location needs to be reasonably close to last train leg of Golden Pass: Interlaken-Lucerne-Zurich and 13.34hr TGV Lyria to Paris. We will get 10 Day Swiss Pass for the trip.

Any major flaws in my plan? … Just in case I have lost logic in all my excitement and enthusiasm. 🙂

• The thread ‘12-day train travel across Switzerland in January’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.