13 days Zermatt/Jungfrau area in early April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2021 at 12:06:32 #825925

Dear Annika,

It is so warm and kind of you to offer your help. Great thanks. STP in addition to SBB and the Sightseeing Express Trains and Gondola etc. is rather complicated for a new tourist. To make us feel uneasy is – just refer us to various URL links without some hints. Am glad you are not like that. To us, we have read up a lot on the relevant websites before we approach your team. Therefore, i am very touched when you offer to help. Please keep this spirit up. A lot of people are like me – have done our homework but still need help. It is the same if you visit my country the very first time.

My tentative plan is:

APRIL 2022 . Solo travel

DAY 1 – 3 (Stay ZERMATT)

Train : Zurich airport to Zermatt. (any buses ?)

Gornergrat. Glacier Express. Maybe Klein Matterhorn. Hiking.

DAY 4 – 7 (Stay GRINDELWALD)

Train : Zermatt to Grindelwald.

Jungfraujoch. First Cliff Walk . Hiking

DAY 8 – 10 (Stay Murren)

Train / cable car / bus Grindelwald to Murren.

Schilthorn . Hiking

DAY 9 – 11 (Stay ?? can’t decided yet)

Train Murren to ??.Meisingen ?

Meisingen Postbus 4 Passes tour (do we buy the ticket on the bus ?)

Is it worth staying in Meisingen ?

DAY 12 – 13

Train from ?? Meisingen ? to Zurich

Overnight Zurich. Fly off the next day evening. I would be most grateful if you could advise me on the following

My interests : i love small little unspoilt villages with stunning high mountains around.

Do only very safe and easy hiking as i am a retiree.

Questions

1) does my proposed travelling plan make sense ? Any suggestions to amend or add or change?

2) the SBB prices are very complicated to us. Our small country has only tubes. No trains.

Please advise – shall i purchase STP Pass (how many days) or Flex STP, or Half Fare Card ? Or just buy saver price and buy online 6 months before when SBB prices are out and available ?

3) i love Postbus. From my schedule above, any parts i can take Postbus rather than train ?

Shall i include the Meisingen Postbus trip during my Grindelawld days ? Or just stay in Meisingen and do the trip.

My stay in Switzerland is Apr 1-13, 2022. Much that i would like to see more, but the train fare is really very costly. Therefore i made the plan above after many weeks of research. Please feel free to comment. You are expert. Your advice is so important. Dear Annika, thank you once again for offering to help me. Am really moved. Thanks again. And again.

Warmly,

Mo Mo

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    11 July 2021 at 12:58:11 #935650

Hello Mo Mo,

Let’s have a look at your questions:

1) Yes, your plans certainly make sense. Here are some general tips to help you plan your trips in detail:

2) For your itinerary it’s quite simple: a 15-day Swiss Travel Pass is by far the best match. It allows free and ticketless traveling on all regular train, bus and boat routes and gets you discounts on mountain trips. All details are available at http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass. If you buy in July 2021, you’ll get a 25% discount. This offer is explained at http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/swiss-travel-pass-25-off-for-trips-in-20212022.

3) Public transportation routes in Switzerland are covered by either the train or the bus. So usually there’s no bus available if there’s a train. There are beautiful postbus routes in addition to the train network though, and Meiringen is a good starting point. But: many pass tours are only available in summer, and not in early April yet, so carefully check operation dates. Examples of pass routes can be found trough the link under “Information on other websites” on http://www.myswissalps.com/bus/reservations.

You can make nice year-round bus trips to small towns without rail stations though. Examples near your base towns are:

• Wilderswil-Saxeten (near Mürren/Grindelwald)
    • Brienz-Axalp (near Meiringen)
    • Visp-Visperterminen (near Zermatt)

I hope this helps you out.

• The thread ‘13 days Zermatt/Jungfrau area in early April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.