14 days Swiss trip, feedback on itinerary

• danicam
    Participant
    24 posts
    24 May 2022 at 9:57:08 #827288

Hello Dear group! I’m completely in love in this forum, my words cannot describe how helpful it is.

I’m planning my trip in August 2022 to Switzerland so far I have this I would like to ask the group options and maybe in the future it can help others in their plans as well.

1. Is this a good itinerary for the first Switzeland trip?
    2. The amount of days for each place seems reasonable? E.g. I feel like Lauterbrunnen wouldn’t be enough

Here is my Itinerary.

• from 09 to 11 august (2 nights) – Zurich (spending the day visiting Zurich, rhine falls, city )
    • from 11 to 12 august – (1 night) – Lucerne
    • from 12 to 14 august -(2 nights) – Interlaken – (: Harder Kulm (peak) go up with funicular and hike down, boat trip the 2 lakes or the hop off boat in Thunersee only, 4h, . Giessbach waterfalls (walk behind them) and walk back to Iseltwald or go to Brienz town.)
    • from 14 to 18 august – (4 nights) – Grindelwald – (First: cliff walk, Glider and flier down? Mannlichen Hike Gondola to go up 1, Glacier Canyon, Jungfrau: (train tickets in advance)Sphinx-Observatorium, ice palace, glacier Plateau, hike to Mönchsjoch Hut (45 min 1 way), hike back down)
    • from 18 to 19 august – (1 night) – Lauterbrunnen ( Trümmelbach Falls., Kleine Scheidegg, and Schilthorn (007) peak)
    • from 19 to 21 august (2 nights) – Kandersteg (Oeschinensee lake and and toboggan Blausee lake)
    • from 21 to 23 ( 2 nights) Zermatt – (Zermatt 2 days: visit town, 5 lakes cycling trail up to the Toblerone peak cost 90, glacier palace (walk under the glacier), trek to Breithorn? hike back down to see toblerone scene, sunrise at Stellisee lake.

I’m still finishing the plan thinking to after Zermatt go to Lugano –> St Motriz –> Zurich home.

Thank you so much, have a blessed day everyone.

Dan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Mark
    Participant
    802 posts
    24 May 2022 at 16:24:23 #942266

Hi Dan

I would seriously consider staying in just 1 place while in the Jungfrau area as all 3 towns are very close to each other. You will waste a half day every time you move, as you will have to pack, check out, transfer to station, transfer to new hotel, check in, and unpack. Lauterbrunnen is about halfway between Grindelwald and Interlaken and maybe a 30 minute train ride to each but any of the 3 towns would make a good base as would Wengen or Murren for that matter

As a personal choice I would spend 1 day in Zurich and 2 in Lucerne. Rhine falls is much less impressive than the mountains easily visited from Lucerne. Old town in Zurich can easily be seen in a half day.

Mark

danicam
    Participant
    24 posts
    24 May 2022 at 16:35:35 #942267

Thanks, Mark, much appreciated. That sounds reasonable to me, originally I thought to say in different places because I’m not sure if I have time to go back to the hotel. I haven’t checked all the gondolas and trains timetables.

So instance if I get my stay in Interlaken (5 days) would I have time to go on top of the mountains do I have time to come back on the same day?

what do you think is the best base?

Thanks, Dan

Mark
    Participant
    802 posts
    24 May 2022 at 16:47:30 #942268

You should have plenty of time to visit any of the attractions you mentioned and return to the town you choose as a base. Personally I would choose Wengen or Grindelwald as a base but Lauterbrunnen would be fine as well.

Mark

taurus0515
    Participant
    106 posts
    24 May 2022 at 16:54:33 #942269

My 2 cents:

Less time in Zurich, more in Lucerne.

Wengen or Grindelwald as base in Jungfrau Region

Zermatt to St. Moritz by Glacier Express, unless you want to spend some time in Lugano.

danicam
    Participant
    24 posts
    27 May 2022 at 13:07:39 #942270

Hi everyone, happy Friday, I wish you all a blessed day. Following this post now I came to cross another “problem”

I’m thinking my itinerary is too big, and I will need more swiss pass days the normal, i mean more than 15 days. But also I don’t know what I should remove to make it smaller…

I would like to ask for the group review based on what I have so far and see if it makes sense or if I should consider reducing it to fit into 15 days. I would love to stay more but I don’t want to spend more money on travel passes.

1. Maybe the added days to each location could be considered “too much” ?
    2. I havent finish so far I thought to add St. Moritz and Lugano

here is the plan

• from 09 to 10 august (1 nights) – Zurich (spending the day visiting Zurich, rhine falls, city )
    • from 10 to 12 august – (2 night) – Lucerne
    • from 12 to 14 august -(2 nights) – Interlaken – (: Harder Kulm (peak) go up with funicular and hike down, boat trip the 2 lakes or the hop off boat in Thunersee only, 4h, . Giessbach waterfalls (walk behind them) and walk back to Iseltwald or go to Brienz town.)
    • from 14 to 18 august – (4 nights) – Grindelwald – (First: cliff walk, Glider and flier down? Mannlichen Hike Gondola to go up 1, Glacier Canyon, Jungfrau: (train tickets in advance)Sphinx-Observatorium, ice palace, glacier Plateau, hike to Mönchsjoch Hut (45 min 1 way), hike back down)
    • from 18 to 20 august – (2 night) – Lauterbrunnen ( Trümmelbach Falls., Kleine Scheidegg, and Schilthorn (007) peak)
    • from 20 to 22 august (2 nights) – Kandersteg (Oeschinensee lake and and toboggan Blausee lake)
    • from 23 to 25 ( 2 nights) Zermatt – (Zermatt 2 days: visit town, 5 lakes cycling trail up to the Toblerone peak cost 90, glacier palace (walk under the glacier), trek to Breithorn? hike back down to see toblerone scene, sunrise at Stellisee lake.

Thank you, Dan

Anna
    6351 posts
    27 May 2022 at 13:28:29 #942271

Hi Dan,

Just throwing some ideas here. If you wish to add Glacier Express into your itinerary and still stick to 15 days, you could probably make the following changes:

• stay 1 night in Lucerne instead of 2
    • stay 1 night in Kandersteg instead of 2

Based on your current itinerary, I think a 10-day Regional Pass Bernese Oberland might be a better option than a Swiss Travel Pass to cover your trips in Interlaken, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen and Kandersteg. This way you only need a 3- or 4-day Swiss Travel Pass to cover the rest of your trip in Zermatt and the Glacier Express.

Would this work for you?

Regards,

Anna

danicam
    Participant
    24 posts
    27 May 2022 at 14:59:45 #942272

Hi Anna,

That’s awesome, I cant thank you enough.

I can see in the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland link there’s few different options, does it covers all the Interlaken, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen and Kandersteg 100% or is a discount ticket? . I need to check which pass cover which area.

am I right to assume the following utilization, I will list down which pass per location? I will the original plan in this case as example.

• from 09 to 10 august (1 nights) – Zurich – Swiss travel pass
    • from 10 to 12 august – (2 night) – Lucerne – Swiss travel pass
    • from 12 to 14 august -(2 nights) – Interlaken – Regional Pass Bernese Oberland
    • from 18 to 20 august – (2 night) – Lauterbrunnen – Regional Pass Bernese Oberland
    • from 20 to 22 august (2 nights) – Kandersteg- Regional Pass Bernese Oberland
    • from 23 to 25 ( 2 nights) Zermatt – Swiss travel pass
    • Maybe From Zermart to St. Moritz and/or Lugano Swiss travel pass
    • Travel back Zurich Swiss travel pass

Thanks, Dan

Anna
    6351 posts
    28 May 2022 at 8:26:29 #942273

Hi Dan,

That’s right the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland is valid for unlimited rides on all public transport and some mountain transportation in Interlaken, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen and Kandersteg. The only ticket you might need is to cover the last stretch of the journey to Jungfraujoch.

Depending on your plans in Zurich and Lucerne, you might not need a Swiss Travel Pass for the first 3 days. Point-to-point tickets or city-specific day pass might be cheaper if you’re planning to do local sightseeing and exploring. See https://www.myswissalps.com/zurich/travel and https://www.myswissalps.com/lucerne/travel.

To determine which railpass combo suits your plans, best to do the math using this step-by-step guide on how to choose the best railpass: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

regards,

Anna

danicam
    Participant
    24 posts
    29 May 2022 at 14:50:25 #942274

Thank you so much Anna. Very helpful, surely it helped a lot on my plans. Best wishes.

• The thread ‘14 days Swiss trip, feedback on itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.