15-day trip in November, Bern as base

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2019 at 16:28:51 #824415

Hi,

I am planning to travel Switzerland for the first time from 16 Nov to 1 dec. I am traveling with 4 year child with base in Bern.

Any suggestions for mount excursions available this period.

Also the nearby towns I could travel each day and do some kids friendly activities.

Thank you in advance..

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    9 November 2019 at 18:16:33 #924872

Hi ronakira, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

What a great idea to show Switzerland to your child! You will surely enjoy it!

Let me try to provide a few tips, although I am sure others, more qualified than I am, will jump in with many more hints.

In Bern, you could ride the funicular, Marzili-Bahn, down to the Aare river. Cross the bridge, and turn right and you may visit the zoo (Tierpark). Poney rides are available for accompanied short rides for children, but maybe not in November. Then go back along the river until you reach the iconic Bear Park. You could have lunch in the nearby restaurant, called Altes Tramdepot. Then cross the nearby bridge to the Old Town, walk up the main street (Nydegggasse, then Kramgasse) until you reach the Clock Tower. Make sure you are there on the hour, and watch the mobile chime. Your hotel can give you a map and point out these places.

On anothe day you may consider visiting Estavayer-le-Lac ant its Frog Museum.

I genuinly hope that these hints can be of use to you, and wish you a great time!

Anna
    6382 posts
    9 November 2019 at 18:32:44 #924873

Hi ronakira,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

Bern is centrally-located just 1 hour by train from Interlaken and Lucerne, so it’s quite ideal for mountain excursions to Jungfraujoch, Titlis and Stockhorn. For details and opening times please check the links below (click the route tab).

Bern also has a local mountain called Gurten (Gurtenpark). Link to info in English here: http://www.bern.com/en/detail /gurten-berns-local-mountain

It’s nothing compared to the Alps but I think your 4-year-old would appreciate it, and it’s a good option on days you don’t feel like doing much travelling 🙂 You’ll find on the mountain plenty of facilities and things to do including a big playground, a park, numerous restaurants, running trails and a lookout tower offering a panoramic view of Bern. In winter, when there’s enough snow, you can even ski and ride toboggans. Gurtenpark is open all year. You get there a via a funicular that runs every 15 mins from 7am. The funicular station is about 15 mins by public transport from Bern main train station.

Here are a few suggestions of kid-friendly activities in Bern and surrounding areas

You will find a list of other tourist attractions in Bern and nearby towns from the links below:

If you are planning to explore Switzerland by train, consider getting one of the rail passes. Children under 6 travel free on Swiss public transport. Railpass options are listed here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issrailpasses

Feel free to use this guide to choose the best rail pass for your trip: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2019 at 1:16:05 #924874

Thank you Anna,

It is really useful information. I am surely going to visit these places..

Really appreciate your help..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2019 at 1:19:29 #924875

Thank you snowman for you suggestions, I really appreciate … Thanks

• The thread ‘15-day trip in November, Bern as base’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.