Feb 28, 2017 - 11:56 PM
We are a family of 4 travelling from Australia in mid May 2017 for 15 days, parents are active 50 year olds with 2 adventurous boys in their early 20s. We do enjoy small towns and walking to explore natural beauty. Here is an outline and just wanting feedback if we should include some more...
1. Arrive Zurich - 1 night and day to explore town
2. Train to Lugano - walk the olive trail. 1 night and day
3. Bus to Lake Como Menaggio - 3 nights to explore the region by boat and foot
4. Bus then train to Lucerne - 2 nights 3 days to do Pilatus Golden round trip, walking around town
5. Train to Interlaken/Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen - not sure where to base ourselves?? - 3 nights to do Jungfrau area, First cliff walk, zipline, Schlithorn area, Brienz
6. Train to Bern - 2 nights (not sure of highlights to explore yet)
7. Train to Zurich 1 night- fly out of here
We are flying in and out of Zurich and was hopeful of our trip looking like this. Do we buy the 15 day Swiss travel pass for the parents and Youth travel pass for the boys? Once we buy these do we need to buy tickets for specific times and days or just hop on board and sit anywhere, We understand that trains in Interlaken are are regional and we have to pay a discounted fare. Do we buy them on the day or beforehand? Also getting to and from Menaggio will be by bus and this is not included. Do we stay just at Lauterbrunnen as a base or Interlaken...we realise one is a bigger town and the other a village. We enjoy a relaxing drink and dinner at night.
Thanks for any info or suggestions. We have enjoyed reading other posts and are excited about our holiday